Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2014, 03:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dust on GR Sensor? Options?

I just noticed a spot on my pictures today as I shot on my new GR. The spot is also visible on the LCD when the camera is on. I used my blower on the lens and a lens pen and the mark remains. I'm assuming it's dust or something on the sensor. This is really disturbing to me considering I can't get to the sensor to clean it off like I can an ILC. I never seen this happen on a compact and I've had conpacts in dusty situations. My GR is only about a month and ~900 shots old. I don't even put it in my pocket, I keep it in it's case. I don't see how dust could have gotten on the sensor.
When I got home from shooting, I looked at my older shots looking for the spot and found it as far back as shot 422. It exists in a lot of my photos but I'll give you examples of just a few.
The following two pictures were taken on the same day about an hour apart. The first is shot # 422 and second is # 436. The spot is visible in the same place in both, yet the size and darkness vary.

Attachment 200525

Attachment 200526

The next two were taken earlier today a few minutes apart. The first is # 873 and the second is # 883. As you can see the size and darkness vary once again...

Attachment 200527

Attachment 200528

I don't know what to do about this. I can either live with it and edit it out when noticeable. I could contact B&H for an exchange, or I can contact Ricoh.
What do you think I should do?

Last edited by geomez; 11-04-2015 at 03:07 PM.
01-02-2014, 03:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would not live with it, I'm assuming it must have been from manufacture - how else would it appear unless the body has not been sealed effectively, either way I would be dropping B&H a line. Not fit for purpose IMHO.

regards
Kevin
01-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the same spots appear with mine and I suspected it was from dust. I figured Ok, i can either send it out for cleaning or try remedying it on my own. If you search the web, there are various methods people have been using to remove this. I read several and decided to try something with my own variation and if it didn't work, I'd send it away for cleaning. Feel free to try my method, no guarantee's and of course at your own risk.

Basically it is using a rocket blower to loosen or dislodge dust, then follow that by doing a gentle vacuuming. I first remove the battery and sd card from the chamber and then use a rocket blower in the chamber and then over the entire body with the lens assembly open and closed to try to loosen any internal dust/bunnies etc. I then take a hand vacuum cleaner to that chamber and to the lens assembly when it is both closed and open (GENTLY without too much direct force especially when it's open). After doing this, the dust/spots were gone. An important concern of mine was that too much direct vacuuming with a lot of force might create so much suction that some component might dislodge or become damaged, so I was very careful in that regard by placing my fingers over the vacuum to divert/lessen the strength of the suction and I also did not directly apply the vacuum to the camera but instead kind of waved it around the chamber and lens assembly in short bursts of micro seconds so as to hopefully not damage anything. So far this has worked for me. I saw one you tube showing a guy directly placing a shop vac on the camera, it apparently worked but I wouldn't have the nerve to try using something that powerful, but that's me. If the spots were present from the time I purchased it, i would certainly return it for replacement but that wasn't the case for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.
01-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #4

Has anyone experimented with one of those Axmaxx lens covers, as a way to keep out dust? I assume the dust gets sucked in as the lens opens and closes, in much the same way that a zoom takes in dust. So covering the opening SHOULD help. On the other hand, you might take a hit in image quality.

03-31-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Dust a bigest problem of GR. I clean my onece every 2-3 mouths.
03-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I often pop on the extension tube with a simple UV filter attached at the end when I'm out and about, and always, ALWAYS do this when I'm at a beach or anywhere there is sand. I lost a lens assembly on my GRDIII to sand and that was not a cheap repair.
03-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Dust a bigest problem of GR. I clean my onece every 2-3 mouths.
How do you clean yours?

03-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

take it apart
03-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

take it apart
You could try shaking the camera rapidly face down, kinda like Pentax dust removal
03-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You think I didn't tried that?
03-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
take it apart
You should film yourself doing it and put it on youtube so I don't screw it up.
03-31-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm thinking about it.
05-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Been thinking getting the GR lately and then I recall my last 'p&s' camera develop a dust that I can't remove... so come to this forum to see if there is any "dust problem" with the GR....

I really think for these compact camera the seal around the lens needs to be really good to prevent dust going in...
05-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Been thinking getting the GR lately and then I recall my last 'p&s' camera develop a dust that I can't remove... so come to this forum to see if there is any "dust problem" with the GR....

I really think for these compact camera the seal around the lens needs to be really good to prevent dust going in...
From what I've read, it's only a problem that has plagued some owners. My new GR that I had exchanged for the dusty one has had no dust issues and I have had it longer than the old one and have been less careful with it.
05-13-2014, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/161-ricoh-gr/261769-disassembling-gr-sensor-cleaning.html