Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got my GR! My impressions.

I've just got myself a limited GR.

While the classic black was nicer to hold because of the rubber grip, the Limited GR's white box alone sealed my decision. Tested it in the store extensively for dust problem. None found. It was originally in version 2.03, and I promptly updated it. The accompanying brown leather strap and case, I feel does not match the greenish color of the camera. The build quality is good, but the leather isn't as supple or as soft as one would wish. The hood is nice, but a bit difficult to assemble, as it lacks an obvious cue (red dot?) for easy assembly.

It looks and feels a bit plastic although one's assured that it's an alloy. From a Pentaxian initial impression, the camera feels hollow and light and lacks the heft of say, a K3 or a K30. I dare say that Canon's G series actually feels more solid. All in all, the build is nice, but it could have been better!

Moving on, my initial impression of the menu: the layout, fonts, and aesthetics are very clean, but completely different from Pentax'. Pentax' menu layout is very intuitive, the GR is not (at first blush). The "Adj" button takes a little time getting used to. After playing and fiddling with it for twenty minutes, it hits me: this is a beautifully structured menu and interface! Once one discovers the logical arrangement, adjusting everything is so easy! I must admit though, that I had to resort to looking at the Manual a couple of times, as there are a lot of "foreign" embedded settings. Now, I'm wishing that Pentax will follow this menu and organization. Just a minor quibble: I wish that Ricoh added a dedicated button for the timer, so one can free up the Fn2 key.

IQ on my first snapshots. Wow! Color me impressed! The pictures are sharper than my Kx and K30, and JPEG processing (Positive, B&W, Toned B&W) are spot on! The pixie fairy worked hard building this camera!

Focus: It's noticeably faster than a Q7. Dim lighting and it lags a little, as expected.

I think I'll be falling in love with this camera, as the thought of getting a black one as a spare camera has started to cross my mind. Suffice to say, that I am no longer thinking of getting a Canon G.

06-02-2015, 04:50 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your GR. It is easily my favorite. I would recommend the Acmaxx lens armor to keep the dust out.
06-02-2015, 05:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Congrats! GR will be a legend ... BTW, does anybody have any experience with "Acmaxx lens armor"? What about flares, scratch resistance, image quality?
06-02-2015, 05:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys.

Just a question, isn't it a generally accepted theory that the dust comes in through the creases as the lens retracts and expands, and not directly through the lens opening? If it is so, how will the acmaxx protect the sensor from the dust?

06-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Ive used acmaxx since i first got my camera and have not noticed any loss in image quality but it will flare if you dont use the lens hood.