Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 09:59 PM   #1

GR II File Number Bug?

Hi All - New to the forum. Just took delivery of a GR II (previously owned a GR). Deleting all images from an SD card on the new GR II seems to automatically start numbering files at 0001 after each delete. Setup>Card Sequence No. to On (or Off) makes no difference. After clearing a card, all files start over at 100-0001. I've reformatted cards, re-formatted Internal Memory. No change. Firmware bug perhaps? Maybe I'm missing something? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

07-29-2015, 03:28 PM   #2

Original Poster
I talked to Ricoh support. GR II release to new for them to have any calls about it yet. I took it back to retailer (one of the big camera stores in L.A.) They pulled two more and we tested at the store. All had same problem. 100% convinced it's a firmware flaw. So in short, until Ricoh fixes it, erasing images from any SD card resets the file number to 0001. No settings circumvent that.
08-02-2015, 07:24 AM   #3

yes same problem from me, thought it was a bit strange but as it is my first RICOH did not know if it was normal behavior...
01-28-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
webstertomkins

Hi,

same with me. I got a GR II with firmware 1.10. If I delete all pictures from the card the numbers begins to count with 0001. If I format the card instead of deleting the pictures the number continue. It seems to me like it is a firmware-bug. I had a e-mail conversation with the Ricoh-Support. But it ends with "they do not know, if it's a known problem" (Sounds strange to me. I expected that the support should know about that. I found some posts in different forums, that described the problem, exactly. And I forewarded the links to the support.). They promised to foreward it to the technical department. So, I hope it will be fixed with the next firmware-update.

Does anyone know, how often Ricoh distributes firmware-updates?

Thanks for a reply.

Torsten

01-29-2016, 11:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by webstertomkins Quote
Hi,

same with me. I got a GR II with firmware 1.10. If I delete all pictures from the card the numbers begins to count with 0001. If I format the card instead of deleting the pictures the number continue. It seems to me like it is a firmware-bug. I had a e-mail conversation with the Ricoh-Support. But it ends with "they do not know, if it's a known problem" (Sounds strange to me. I expected that the support should know about that. I found some posts in different forums, that described the problem, exactly. And I forewarded the links to the support.). They promised to foreward it to the technical department. So, I hope it will be fixed with the next firmware-update.

Does anyone know, how often Ricoh distributes firmware-updates?

Thanks for a reply.

Torsten
Hi Torsten -

I did get a reply from Ricoh Tech Support - looks like they are acknowledging it now and will address it in the next firmware update, although they didn't say when that will be.

Here is the exact text I received:

>>>>>>>>>>
Thank you for contacting RICOH.

I wanted to let you know that RICOH Japan has confirmed that the file numbering issue in your GR ll is a firmware glitch and that they are working on a firmware update that will address the issue. They didn't say when the firmware will be available. When new firmware is released you will be able to download it at:

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION
>>>>>>>>>>

So what I do is to take a blank image on the SD card I most use in the GR, save it as the first image, lock it, and it just stays there. Then, for now, an 'Erase All' will not erase a locked image, thus clearing the SD card except for that one blank image, and the new images then continue on with the correct numbering.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
01-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #6
webstertomkins

Hi Chuck,

thanks for the information. This is good news. Hopefully it will be solved with the next firmware.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChuckA Quote
So what I do is to take a blank image on the SD card I most use in the GR, save it as the first image, lock it, and it just stays there. Then, for now, an 'Erase All' will not erase a locked image, thus clearing the SD card except for that one blank image, and the new images then continue on with the correct numbering.
This is a good workaround for the problem (instead of always formatting the card). I will try this.

Thanks!

Torsten