Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New GR and a couple questions

Hi all. I just received my GR II and blown away at how sharp this lens is.

Now my questions/problems .

1. When I set the camera to shoot in black and white and it seems to work well. But when I import the images into Lightroom 6, the image reverts to color. It is b and w for a few seconds, then it turns to color. Any ideas on that one?

2. Also, I tried shooting in DNG+ and can see the DNG and JPG files on the memory chip, but Lightroom won't recognize or pull in the jpg versions, Do I have some settings wrong on the camera or in LR?

Thanks!

04-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #2
Forum Member

I can't speak to the other questions, but I shoot with RAW+ a lot, and use lightroom to import. Importing with lightroom takes the DNG and JPG files and puts them in whatever folder I want, by default, but in the library view in lightroom, it just shows the DNG file. I think it does this becuase otherwise there would be lots of duplicates. Is this what is happening for you? I think lightroom just assumes you'd rather work on the raw file than the jpg, so it shows that one.
04-30-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the problem is with LR. The b&w setting is for jpeg only I believe. If you shoot RAW, you will see the b&w jpeg on the cameras LCD but the RAW file contains all the colour information.Try shooting only jpeg, use the b&w setting and see if that works for you.
04-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went through this same confusion when I first got my GR. Even though you use one of the effect modes to capture your image (in this case you used B&W),it still captures it as a raw image and therefore when you import it into LR, it imports all the raw data (all colors). The step you are missing is when you are looking at the B&W capture in the GR, you need to go into the menu and develop the raw image. When you do this you will see all of the development variables. Once you've selected the variables and processed the image, it saves this as a jpeg which is then what will be imported into LR (along with the original raw). In effect, you'll have 2 images that will import into LR, the original raw and the B&W jpeg. Of course the alternative is to import the raw only and process it as B&W in LR, but what you will miss is the unique way that the GR develops a B&W file. As you go along, you'll see what I mean.

05-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by denpapp Quote
I went through this same confusion when I first got my GR. Even though you use one of the effect modes to capture your image (in this case you used B&W),it still captures it as a raw image and therefore when you import it into LR, it imports all the raw data (all colors). The step you are missing is when you are looking at the B&W capture in the GR, you need to go into the menu and develop the raw image. When you do this you will see all of the development variables. Once you've selected the variables and processed the image, it saves this as a jpeg which is then what will be imported into LR (along with the original raw). In effect, you'll have 2 images that will import into LR, the original raw and the B&W jpeg. Of course the alternative is to import the raw only and process it as B&W in LR, but what you will miss is the unique way that the GR develops a B&W file. As you go along, you'll see what I mean.
Thanks guys. This is staring to make sense now..
10-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Question.

Since you are importing to LR anyway, Why bother having the camera set to B&W?

Wouldnt you rather do the conversion in LR and possibly other software (DXO Filmpack comes to mind)?

Just curious as that is how I work.

Eric
10-20-2016, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TroutHunterJohn Quote
Hi all. I just received my GR II and blown away at how sharp this lens is.

Now my questions/problems .

1. When I set the camera to shoot in black and white and it seems to work well. But when I import the images into Lightroom 6, the image reverts to color. It is b and w for a few seconds, then it turns to color. Any ideas on that one?

2. Also, I tried shooting in DNG+ and can see the DNG and JPG files on the memory chip, but Lightroom won't recognize or pull in the jpg versions, Do I have some settings wrong on the camera or in LR?

Thanks!
Lightroom will by default import (or at least show) only the raw file when it sees both raw and jpeg versions of the same image. There is a setting in the import preferences called "Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos" that can be ticked to see both versions in the library.

Any filters in the GR is applied only to the jpeg - the raw file is raw, after all - so when the raw file is imported you'll see the embedded jpeg preview file (with the filter) while Lightroom builds its own preview from the raw data. That's why you see it in b&w for a few seconds before it appears in colour.

As @denpapp said, a workaround is to shoot raw only and then develop the image in-camera. This creates a jpeg with a new name, which then Lightroom imports separately. The downside, of course, is that converting multiple images will be rather time consuming.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Auer Quote
Question.

Since you are importing to LR anyway, Why bother having the camera set to B&W?

Wouldnt you rather do the conversion in LR and possibly other software (DXO Filmpack comes to mind)?

Just curious as that is how I work.

Eric
The reason is that some of the in-camera filters in the GR is hard to reproduce in other programs. Most notably this is true for the high-contrast b&w. A lot of people like the look of this setting - and even if you should be able to get similar results with DXO, it's much quicker to let the camera do the job

(I always shoot raw+ anyway - then I can use the jpeg if I choose, or treat the raw further if I need to.)