Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
Closed Account

K mount question

If Pentax released a FF camera, would it still be K mount and use all the k lens?

08-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most likely. The K Mount was designed for 35mm full frame film cameras and Pentax has been pretty good about ensuring backwards compatibility with old lenses. So a switching of mount seems unlikely and out of style.
08-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Most likely. The K Mount was designed for 35mm full frame film cameras and Pentax has been pretty good about ensuring backwards compatibility with old lenses. So a switching of mount seems unlikely and out of style.
I thought so too. On another forum someone said, " It would be an astonishing event if Pentax suddenly announced a FF camera and a range of lenses to support it." That confused me.
08-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
If Pentax released a FF camera, would it still be K mount and use all the k lens?
Almost certainly. The K mount was designed as a full frame mount.

A few years ago I came up with a list of off-the-shelf FF lenses, and there were about 40 from various manufacturers. I think that's down a bit now, though. It was about 10 from Pentax.

Not all of the K-mount lenses would work - for instance, the 15mm would physically fit, and almost certainly would take a picture, but there would be black areas at the corner where the lens didn't project an image.

In practice, all of the primes greater than 35mm would work, and also the 31mm and 35mm F/2.4. None of the zooms have full coverage although the 60-250 comes close.

---------- Post added 08-21-14 at 09:32 AM ----------

I thought so too. On another forum someone said, " It would be an astonishing event if Pentax suddenly announced a FF camera and a range of lenses to support it." That confused me.
They have more lenses now than any new mount is ever released with.

Guarantee: When they release a full frame camera, they will release a normal zoom.
Likely: Perhaps a telephoto zoom.
Guess: They will say another normal zoom is on the way (faster or slower, depending) and a wide angle zoom + prime are on the way.

08-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only scenario where it may not be K-mount (native) is if its a MILC (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera) - if Pentax feels it would benefit from a shorter flange-registry distance than K-mount supports, which would allow the MILC body to be thinner and more competitive with other MILC.

In that case, Pentax would probably offer an AF-enabled adapter for K-mount lenses... but the mount itself would be different, and in that scenario possibly be the primary mount, getting new development.
08-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
Since Pentax lens go back to the 35mm film days, isn't it true that Pentax k lens are best suited for FF?
Did Canon and Nikon have to redesign lens for their FF cameras ?
08-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Since Pentax lens go back to the 35mm film days, isn't it true that Pentax k lens are best suited for FF?
Did Canon and Nikon have to redesign lens for their FF cameras ?
The mount - the part where the lens attaches to the camera and communicates with the body - is "K", but "K-mount" lenses can be designed that fit this mount but only project an image that fully covers the aps-c image circle.

This is what the DA lens line was designed for, primarily - aps-c sensor wearing a K-mount. It's also what the Nikon "DX" lenses are - lenses tha use the same mount as in 35mm film days, but cover an aps-c circle. Canon sells aps-c lenses like this as well. Both Canon and Nikon make these aps-c-only lenses, but they also continue to make and sell FF-capable lenses - and they all share the same mount.

By the way I know the quote that spawned your question (here.) - basically he was saying that the lack of rumours and hints about FF leading into photokina, as well as no new lenses released beforehand made it extremely unlikley that we'd have an FF body and lenses sprung apon us. When/if it does come though, it will probably be K-mount.

08-21-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

To go off on a tangent, will Ricoh come up with an electronic connection to stop-down the lens iris for the K-mount? Recently there was a post on this forum quoting someone from Sigma who said that the necessity for a mechanical coupling is a deterrent for Sigma to make lenses available in Pentax mount. The other camera makers apparently use an electronic coupling, which is cheaper for Sigma to design and manufacture.
08-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
does the K mount have enough space in it to account for SR? Obviously film doesn't move, while the Pentax digital sensor does. Hopefully there's enough space in the corners of the FF sensor to let the SR work reliably and not go "under" the ring of the mount.
08-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Jay,

I guess you have pretty much migrated to another system (Nikon?) now. Too bad as I miss your comments in the various lens clubs you started here. I any case a question for you. When, I feel it is only a matter of time, Richo/Pentax comes out with a full frame camera will you migrate back to Pentax? This is assuming the camera isn't a dog. I've got a bag of old Pentax glass just waiting for a full frame Pentax camera. Personally, I've always stayed with Pentax because of the lenses. They have a look/rendering which I prefer over other makers even in this age of post processing.

Tom G
08-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Hi Jay,

I guess you have pretty much migrated to another system (Nikon?) now. Too bad as I miss your comments in the various lens clubs you started here. I any case a question for you. When, I feel it is only a matter of time, Richo/Pentax comes out with a full frame camera will you migrate back to Pentax? This is assuming the camera isn't a dog. I've got a bag of old Pentax glass just waiting for a full frame Pentax camera. Personally, I've always stayed with Pentax because of the lenses. They have a look/rendering which I prefer over other makers even in this age of post processing.

Tom G
Hey Tom, nice to hear from you!

When it's time to 'upgrade' my D800, if Pentax has a nice FF body and some decent lenses available I could very well sell of my Nikon equipment and move fully back to Pentax. I bought very few Nikon lenses new, so I wouldn't lose much if anything doing that.

I guess, what it would take: at least 36MP, at least the same DR/SNR capability as the D800's Exmor, and AF that's as capable (or very close.) Then, the tipping point - full wifi in the body, with upload SW. This is becoming important to me, as my DSLR could double as a 'quick-share' device, which I depend on my phone for even in situations where I'd be willing to carry a DSLR.

Them some new lenses - a 24 1.8, 35, 50, 85 to start, or on the roadmap - hopefully in the price range of the Nikon 1.8Gs. And of course an FA Limited refresh at some point, with the elusive 135mm f/2.8 (or f2) appearing.
08-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm more than happy with all my SMC-M K-mount and SMC and Super Takumar (42mm thread) lenses on digital full-frame. But when Pentax announced they could not imagine "de-crippling" the mount on new cameras, I decided to try the Sony A7 for my old manual focus lenses. The more I use it the happier I am with it, so I may not even try a Pentax FF if they ever come out with one. Even my old SV 55 f1.8 never looked so good.
08-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Hey Tom, nice to hear from you!

I guess, what it would take: at least 36MP, at least the same DR/SNR capability as the D800's Exmor, and AF that's as capable (or very close.) Then, the tipping point - full wifi in the body, with upload SW. This is becoming important to me, as my DSLR could double as a 'quick-share' device, which I depend on my phone for even in situations where I'd be willing to carry a DSLR.

Them some new lenses - a 24 1.8, 35, 50, 85 to start, or on the roadmap - hopefully in the price range of the Nikon 1.8Gs. And of course an FA Limited refresh at some point, with the elusive 135mm f/2.8 (or f2) appearing.
Informative as ever Jay.

As for myself I'm less interested in wifi than compatibility with my old lenses although I can see the attraction. I'd hate to see all my great old lenses sent to the landfill. I know there have been advances in lens coatings but optically I think many of my old lenses (K 200/2.5, M 50/4 macro, M 50/1.4, A 100/2.8 macro etc. see signature) stand up pretty well. These optics are why I stayed with Pentax when I went digital. I wonder how well they might perform on a 36MP camera? This would be the tipping point for me. If they, my old lenses, don't work well enough It would be time for a system change for me. Like many others I patiently await to see what Richo/Pentax comes up with. I went from a K10 to a K5 on my last upgrade. My next step will be full frame be it Pentax or some other maker.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-21-2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
08-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By a range of lenses, they mean new lenses, as pentax has not done any FF updates for new optical materials, or focusing mechanics in 15 years. FA lenses while fine, would be too expensive to make again today
08-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
By a range of lenses, they mean new lenses, as pentax has not done any FF updates for new optical materials, or focusing mechanics in 15 years. FA lenses while fine, would be too expensive to make again today
Hey Lowell,

You're as much a vintage lens guy as myself. As I recall we are both charter members of the SMC Pentax K 300/4 club. What's your take on vinatge Pentax lenses on full frame digital cameras? How well do you think they will or might perform in that format?

Tom G