Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax QS1 mirrorless has Bokeh Control

Pentax Q-S1 mirror-less camera can produce "fantastic" Bokeh without a fast lens. Bokeh was one of the main advantages of Full Frame cameras, but this feature on the QS-1 might have evened things out a little bit. Unfortunately these features are not currently available on Pentax DSLR's. Read on...

Effortless bokeh control
The Q-S1's unique bokeh control function allows the user to make the subject stand out by automatically assessing the relative distance between the in-focus subject and obtrusive objects in the field of view. Since this function simplifies the advanced, SLR-caliber technique of intentional defocusing, even a first-time digital camera user can effortlessly capture high-quality images with beautifully defocused foregrounds and backgrounds. 9. Simple, user-friendly Auto Picture and Scene modes

08-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unless it has new functionality, it's a feature that existed since original Q getting a new marketing bullet point.
08-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It's not on a dslr because dslrs don't need the added artifical bokeh.
08-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Pentax Q-S1 mirror-less camera can produce "fantastic" Bokeh without a fast lens. Bokeh was one of the main advantages of Full Frame cameras, but this feature on the QS-1 might have evened things out a little bit. Unfortunately these features are not currently available on Pentax DSLR's. Read on...

Effortless bokeh control
The Q-S1's unique bokeh control function allows the user to make the subject stand out by automatically assessing the relative distance between the in-focus subject and obtrusive objects in the field of view. Since this function simplifies the advanced, SLR-caliber technique of intentional defocusing, even a first-time digital camera user can effortlessly capture high-quality images with beautifully defocused foregrounds and backgrounds. 9. Simple, user-friendly Auto Picture and Scene modes
This feature has been around since the original Q. It looks pretty artificial in most cases.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

yeah. It's on my wife's Q. It even has its own position on the dial, IIRC. It was less than impressive.
08-29-2014, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #6

perhaps it's been updated to work better on the new camera if they are pointing it out though?
08-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I had mixed results on the Q. The bad pictures were quite bad. I had a couple of 'ok' images.

I imagine it's improved since the Q.

08-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #8

Since the bokeh like effect it is software generated, it could possibly have been improved since the original version. I guess we just have to wait and see.
08-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

They need to license the technique used by Google in their camera app. It works really damn well for a complete software based solution. Although who knows how long the processing would take on a Q that has processor far slower than my phone...
08-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At last there is a discussion around the new FF Pentax camera !! I mean this new Q-S1, it is a Full Frame camera isn't it ?

" Sticky: Full-frame and speculative threads belong elsewhere! "
09-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
They need to license the technique used by Google in their camera app. It works really damn well for a complete software based solution. Although who knows how long the processing would take on a Q that has processor far slower than my phone...
Seconded, the google implementation is genius...