Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you buy a FF Pentax, if one was available?
Yes, if it is a Pentax branded camera. 7918.20%
Yes, if it is a Pentax and/or Ricoh branded camera. 10023.04%
Yes, if it had the sort of specs you mention. 6013.82%
Yes, but only if it's priced no higher than, for instance, the D750. 5713.13%
No, I've bought a FF made by a different supplier. 173.92%
No, I don't need or want FF. 8319.12%
No - I would like to, but I cannot afford to buy a new camera. 276.22%
Yes, but only if it's available in forty-seven color combinations. 112.53%
Voters: 434. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Poll to gauge how many members would buy a FF Pentax

Updated: Ricoh has confirmed that they're working on a FF camera - At last!

With all the new comments by Ricoh, about FF, lets see if we can show them how many of us would like a FF Pentax camera.
We'll assume, for the sake of argument, that such a new machine would need to have a number of "must have" features.
I'd prefer the thread to not turn into a discussion of those features. There are enough other threads here dedicated to that. With the new interview, https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/photokina-2014/pf-interview-with-ricoh-...kina-2014.html I think we can see that Ricoh would like to progress FF further. See also these recent discussions: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/273278-pentax-full-frame-news.html and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/273267-full-frame-2015-a.html.
But, we also have Ricoh being quite non-committal. Lets see if we can get them to commit fully!

But, for sake of argument, let's assume something like the following:
  1. The usual Pentax weatherproofing.
  2. 16-41 megapixels. (Is 41 too extreme?) (I would think 24 would work nicely!)
  3. Tilt screen.
  4. Full HD video.
  5. Dual memorycard slots.
  6. USB 3 connectivity with tethering.
  7. 80-51,000 ISO, or better.
  8. Minimum 7 fps.
  9. Touch-screen LCD, with bright sun boost. (Touch screen could give an industry first: Optimisation of "button" positions for left handed shooters)
  10. Built-In WIFI, with tethering app for Iphone, Windows Phone and Android
  11. Need I mention it - Of course it will be K-mount!
  12. Have Shake Reduction.
  13. As a minimum spec, if the other stuff is in the "too hard" basket, should be a scaled up version of the K-3, with a few extra features thrown in.

I've tried to set realistic options so that everyone has a chance to vote.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-06-2015 at 04:29 PM.
09-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My response for those features is conditioned on the price. I could rearrange my entire personal lens catalog (actually, I should do that NOW) and roll the proceeds into the FF body. I'm willing to pay for closer to a D810, but not for closer to a D610.
09-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My response for those features is conditioned on the price. I could rearrange my entire personal lens catalog (actually, I should do that NOW) and roll the proceeds into the FF body. I'm willing to pay for closer to a D810, but not for closer to a D610.
Indeed. Price will play a roll, of course. I've made the assumption it would price near the D750, but certainly no higher than a D810.
09-16-2014, 06:54 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

When the unicorn appears, there will be magic all around and all the beasts of the earth will gather in awe of the unicorn. It would be nice to have Penatx branded on its rump.

09-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Some of those features are in the 'nice' category but not really that important for a Pentax FF. Like a touch screen, and the two tethering options.
The whole shopping list of options there almost needs a quiz of its own.
09-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm probably in because I have enough FF lenses - the K-3 is awfully good though.
09-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I voted for color options, not because it reflects my true thoughts but nor does any of the other options. I will likely buy a Pentax FF body if and when one comes available if and when I'm at that stage to upgrade. Presently I own a K10D and will likely, happily, purchase a K3 as its replacement before the year is out. At that rate it may be 2 or 3 FF bodies down the road when I get my first Pentax FF. Or maybe not....

09-16-2014, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Not to burst your bubble, but Ricoh, made a comment that means nothing. It just a polite, diplomatic way of saying we might or might not be thinking/doing anything about a FF. It will all depend. I do not think that Ricoh would specifically, take into consideration what some Pentax fans want, but guide themselves through a marketing statistical analysis trend, by the nitwits running the show.
09-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it's any good (and I'm sure it will be) I'll get one like a shot.
I will certainly keep my APS-C kit though.
09-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Some of those features are in the 'nice' category but not really that important for a Pentax FF. Like a touch screen, and the two tethering options.
The whole shopping list of options there almost needs a quiz of its own.
True. I threw in touch screen because I think it will soon be a "must have". Also, we're so used to touch screens with everything else, that it makes sense - plus, with touch-screen we can get rid of many of the mechanical controls and buttons - all areas that need to be weathersealed. Look at cars, for instance, that now seldom have mechanical window winders.
And yes, we can debate the wish list at length, but I'll leave it to you to set up a wishlist poll!

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 02:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert_1 Quote
Not to burst your bubble, but Ricoh, made a comment that means nothing. It just a polite, diplomatic way of saying we might or might not be thinking/doing anything about a FF. It will all depend. I do not think that Ricoh would specifically, take into consideration what some Pentax fans want, but guide themselves through a marketing statistical analysis trend, by the nitwits running the show.
Well, I have had them confirm to me, personally, that they are working on FF. Working on it, and bringing it to market are two different things though. I like to think that they care about their market and, lets face, it, we are a pretty real market!

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 02:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I agree.

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 02:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I agree. I'd like to keep my K-5, if only as a back-up camera.

---------- Post added 09-17-14 at 02:03 PM ----------

I'm probably in because I have enough FF lenses - the K-3 is awfully good though.
Love your signature!
09-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #11
Forum Member

Pentaxo non delenda est*
Nam me pentaxo delenda est. Nikon est.
09-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Voted #1 even when I already have A7 for my Pentax lenses and others.

The listed specs don't interest me much though.
I only need :
1. A viewfinder for better stability and composition clarity (EVF or OVF is fine)
2. AF for K-mount AF lenses
3. The same good interface so far seen on Pentax cameras
4. About K5, K3 size at most.

Other stuff will be good as differentiation from the market offerings, but for my uses, I don't need them much, esp if it adds to cost.
09-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about adding a 'yes' without all the qualifications? I'm confused which choice to make. Since we do not know price or specs all I can say is yes if I can afford it.
09-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #14

I'd just as soon mine had 1,2, 3, and 11 on your list (and NO video), and priced below $1600. More unnecessary features (to me) just means more ways to break. By all means, have a version with all the bells and whistles for those who want it, but give us minimalists what we want.
09-16-2014, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted: No, I don't need or want FF.

I'm more pleased with my K-01 + DA Ltd's + legacy glass than I've ever been with any photographic equipment. There's such a joy to shooting, I waste many shots in compositions that I know are doomed to fail even before I press the shutter button... but somehow the K-01 + whichever lens, for a few seconds of nearly religious belief, convinces me that it will all work out. It often doesn't, but that's okay... because there is tomorrow.
Closed Thread