Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
How difficult would it be to make it user configurable? Cameras already store AF adjustments on a per lens basis, so why not store a crop factor?

Imagine: You snap a photo, you look at the result on your LCD, and you "zoom in" using the thumbwheel to a crop factor you're comfortable with, and you store it for that
lens.

You could crop DA lens images to a 1:1 aspect ratio...

They should at least make it possible to turn crop mode on/off.
It is super easy to make it configurable. But to manage all the stupid users that would want to get always FF coverage from the most inadequate APSC lense and then complain Pentax is crap because they have weak border or heavy vigneting is another story. I see already that some will even give the advice to get DA lenses to get the job done on the FF because they cover FF anyway and are less expensive.

Also, this will not be that conveniant using an OVF, in particular if you mix FF and APSC lenses. To rewire oneself eachtime to frame only using the center or using the whole frame isn't that practical.

02-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How do the FF Nikon and Canon bodies handle APS sensors when shooting through the OVF? Does the photographer see the cropped view? I would imagine so. Wouldn't it be awesome if there was some sort of optical auto-zoom in the OVF to enlarged a cropped image circle in the OVF? Wow!
02-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I just happen to have my K-5 right here with my FA-31 attached, and, holding it up for a comparison to the image of the prototype, it looks about the same size, apart from the much larger Pentaprism. Also, the apex of the prototypes prism isn't flat for a flash housing.
My D810 is only marginally bigger than my K3. But the Nikon is lighter. The Pentax is built like a tank.
02-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
My D810 is only marginally bigger than my K3. But the Nikon is lighter. The Pentax is built like a tank.
Huh?
The K-3 w/Battery = 800g.
The D810 w/Battery = 980g.

02-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
How do the FF Nikon and Canon bodies handle APS sensors when shooting through the OVF? Does the photographer see the cropped view? I would imagine so. Wouldn't it be awesome if there was some sort of optical auto-zoom in the OVF to enlarged a cropped image circle in the OVF? Wow!
I know the higher end APS and FF Canikons have an OLED overlay on their OVF that is used for the focus points and for adding a grid view. The OLED, when on blacks out portions of the OVF. So when you're AF point shows up it's either a black circle or red depending on the lighting circumstances. I imagine when you put a APS lens on an FF body and it operates in crop mode, the OLED blacks out the cropped area in the OVF. Idk if it does for sure, but that seems like the most logical method.
I would hope Pentax moves beyond the dimly lit red LED focus points to a more functional and easily visible OLED version like the big two.
02-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Huh?
The K-3 w/Battery = 800g.
The D810 w/Battery = 980g.
I've not weighed them for myself. But it doesn't feel that way in the hands.
02-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've not weighed them for myself. But it doesn't feel that way in the hands.
Our senses can deceive us, sometimes:

I certainly hope the new Pentax body is smaller than the D810!

02-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #68

I am going to seriously consider having one of these non APSC Pentax cameras to shoot alongside my Sony A7R or its successor, in future
02-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SharpShooter Quote
I am going to seriously consider having one of these non APSC Pentax cameras to shoot alongside my Sony A7R or its successor, in future
Welcome to Pentax Forums, SharpShooter. That sounds like an interesting combination. What may make it really interesting, is if the new Pentax body is much smaller than the competition, approaching that of the A7 series (perhaps not in body depth, but in front elevation).

Last edited by RobA_Oz; 02-05-2015 at 09:17 PM.
02-05-2015, 08:31 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, great news. Thanks Pentax-Ricoh, I'm saving now.
02-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #71

Hi there!
I agree, a smaller body overall from the competition would be great, and I have started thinking how I could have both the A7R and Pentax on my body at once, perhaps with the A7R in a waterproof case with a small prime lens and the Pentax with a 2.8 zoom to shoot with AF without even changing lenses and losing track of subjects! What especially interests me is the weather proofing combinations it will offer along with great image quality including shallow depth of field so that I can shoot undeterred by bad weather or sense of compromise, which will be important in future. In the past with my K-01 and vintage primes I simply avoided bad weather but this will not be an option for paid work and when I want to shoot as much as possible and am out for long periods.
02-06-2015, 12:11 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I certainly hope the new Pentax body is smaller than the D810
the mock up Pentax has presented appears to have the SMCP FA31 f/1.8 limited on it - if that is any indicator of the cameras scale, it will be smaller than the D810.
02-06-2015, 02:10 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Seeing as we are talking about a D810 and also comparing the size of the FA31 on the new FF Pentax.

So here is the FA31 on a D810
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-RX100M3  Photo 
02-06-2015, 04:08 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well there it is, if the printed model is accurate the Pentax Full frame camera (whatever they are going to call it) is going to be smaller than the D810.

So here is the FA31 on a D810
I hope you didn't have to remove anything from that lens to use it on the D810..
02-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #75

mwahaha, dpreview.com is down for an hour here already ... I guess the servers cant withstand all the traffic from pentax universe ;-)