Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Full Frame: What are the alternatives?

Now that the FF is coming for many of us its places a couple of decisions.

1. To go Full Frame or remain where we are with APSC or whatever combination of gear we currently have or
  2. Review some of the alternatives out there, Nikon/Canon/Sony et al

For myself, I am heavily invested in Pentax glass, but if there was a better way to leverage it, I could move to another body if there was enough benefit it doing so. If the new FF is close to the Nikon D810 in price, I would hope the performance and features will also be in that class.

03-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeodial Quote
If the new FF is close to the Nikon D810 in price, I would hope the performance and features will also be in that class.
The FF will be in the same price class as the D810, and it will likely be using the same sensor. So I don't see why it wouldn't have the same, or better, performance and features.
03-29-2015, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

If I really wanted a FF, I would have done so years ago by either switching or using both systems. So I don't see that it is decision time.

I'm happy with APSc and will not add a Pentax FF. I however have a small collection of old Minalta MD glass and might therefor one day in the far future decide to buy a Sony mirrorless FF.
03-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Full Frame: What are the alternatives?
Why does there have to be 'an alternative'? It's not as if the camera is suddenly going to make the K3 et al inadequate and sub standard

03-29-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Why does there have to be 'an alternative'? It's not as if the camera is suddenly going to make the K3 et al inadequate and sub standard
It's not about the K-3. It's about alternative FF cameras :-)

I have a Canon 6D on the way ($1399 bundle) to upgrade my 5D original (12 MP --> 20.2 MP, >ISO 1600, 3--> 4.5 FPS, possibly Magic Lantern focus peaking). I only got the (used) 5D because of the 17mm TS lens. I also have a cropped 70D that has a touch-screen rotating LCD I find useful.

I was in transition before the Pentax FF announcement.
03-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I could move to another body if there was enough benefit it doing so.
I don't find all this jumping ship sensemaking. There are new features brought by every camera generation of every brand. So what should I do? Switch system twice per year? Observe all that hype about minor tweaks and differences, buy lenses, sell lenses and all the accessories? No, thanks... I prefer to try to get the good out of the gear which I have - go out and shoot. But it's only me...

(That being said, I plan to buy Pentax FF (as long as the price won't be totally crazy). But not as a crucial upgrade from APS-C, but simply as a next body beside K-3.)
03-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
I hope it is not that expensive. I can't afford a d810 and I won't be able to afford a Pentax FF if it is that price.

The d750 is a pretty awesome and tempting camera and is a lot cheaper than the d810.
Then don't get your hopes up.

03-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
So what should I do? Switch system twice per year?
I'm sure that there are some who do.
03-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

No doubts! I'm not the one... don't like to perform such metamorphosis just to end in trying to convince myself that now I eventually have the right camera/system.
Really, I'm just a happy Pentaxian
03-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
1++

Other options have existed for years. I have been shooting FF since the late 1960s and medium to large format since 2009.

To be honest, I don't understand the angst regarding upgrade path. Here area few considerations:
  • If one's current gear fits one's needs, chances are it will still do so when the FF camera debuts
  • If your current gear does not fit one's needs, then a change might be in order. Whether that change is considered to be an upgrade is a matter of speculation.
The whole matter of upgrade path is an invention of marketing for the most part.

Steve
03-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
So what should I do? Switch system twice per year?
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Indeed! There are several users on this site who claim to have high end bodies from Sony, Canon, and Nikon (sometimes Pentax too), all of which were purchased within a short period of time and then solely for the purpose of comparison so they will know which one to keep

Steve
03-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #12
ACG
Forum Member

Hi,
Buy the Sony a7r and you won't be disappointed. The dynamic range and resolution is awesome.
The sensor will maximise the quality of your Pentax glass.
I love the camera with the m20 f4, m24-35, k28 f3.5, k35 f3.5, k55 f1.8 and k85 f1.8 lenses.
03-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ACG Quote
Buy the Sony a7r and you won't be disappointed.
Will the a7r autofocus my FA Limiteds? Will it properly stabilize my K-series primes? Will it allow me to see the actual view my lenses see?

Will it do anything without an adapter?

At $2,399 for the camera plus $175 +/- for the adapter = $2,575 I might as well just get the $2,799 K-FF. That works out to $225 for a real viewfinder and good Pentax DNA.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-29-2015 at 11:38 AM.
03-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Will the a7r autofocus my FA Limiteds? Will it properly stabilize my K-series primes? Will it allow me to see the actual view my lenses see?

Will it do anything without an adapter?
I would opt for the A7 II over the A7r and at least get 5-axis IBIS. Less money too.

Steve

(...still not a fan of the A7...viewfinder makes me a little dizzy...)
03-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
ACG
Forum Member

Hi,
From your reply, I guess the a7r is not the camera for you!!
I thought that I was a contented mft user, enjoying the compact nature of the system until the a7 series came out of the blue. Suddenly the opportunity to have the Nikon d800 sensors in a camera body the size of the omd em1 and the opportunity to resurrect old lenses from my youth and collect more and those that I couldn't afford in the days of film and my youth.
I can say that the journey has been extremely pleasant. No painful neck or shoulder and amazement at the IQ that the sensor produces.
I love the manual focus and aperture. The live view in the viewfinder demonstrates the dof and the mag function makes focussing easy, plus there is focus peaking if so desired.
May I wish you well on your journey whatever camera you choose.