Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2016, 03:36 PM   #1

Pixel Shift Questions

Recently I took some pictures using the PS option. Here are my questions:

1) It appears that the camera processes the shifted shots into one large file. Does this file need special interpretation or is it ready to be processed in Photoshop or Lightroom as is? I am importing shifted pictures into these programs however the results look awful in PS and fuzzy in LR. I did use a tripod for the picture. ???

2) I cannot get DCU5 to input the pixel shifted file. For example I have two pictures in a folder ready to be input, one is a normal shot and one is the shifted shot. Why is DCU5 only importing the normal shot and not the shifted shot? Is there a setting that needs to be made?

3) Using DCU5 so far has been a very frustrating experience. I find that the browser function is hard to use as it doesn't seem to want to go down into nested folders. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Phil

07-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
1) It appears that the camera processes the shifted shots into one large file. Does this file need special interpretation or is it ready to be processed in Photoshop or Lightroom as is? I am importing shifted pictures into these programs however the results look awful in PS and fuzzy in LR. I did use a tripod for the picture. ???
The RAW file does need special processing, yes. If you have an older version of PS or LR, it will not look good. Make sure you grab the latest version of ACR (CC) and if your file still looks soft compared to the out-of-camera JPEG, turn up the sharpness slider.

There's an update for DCU, make sure you grab version 5.5.1 (newer than what shipped with the K-1):
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have the latest version of PS and LR, both CC, and I am using the DCU5 updated version. I'm not sure about ACR(CC). Do the updates to PS/LR automatically include what's needed for Pentax?

Any idea why DCU5 isn't bringing in the pixel shift file? The non shift file is ~45mb vs 160mb - this shouldn't make a difference? I'm assuming that I've got "teething problems" using the software and probably will re-shoot the files to see if something else is amiss. Any more advise is appreciated.