Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2013, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-3 AF w/targets coming toward you

I had this on another post but thought I would put on the forum in a separate topic.

this was my second attempt shooting cars traveling towards me at about 25 to 30 mph - I feel the K-3 is a big improvement over my K-5. The leaves on the road help show how the focus point tracks the car.

Much better results today shooting moving cars.
Revised car sequence viewable here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h67gsvyfb...l2ottiRe5/JPEG
I revised the settings for shooting cars as an auto focus test and I feel the results are good. You can see a 20 shot sequence here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h67gsvyfb...l2ottiRe5/JPEG
The settings:
Shooting in RAW = Photoshop JPEG conversion with no PP
TAV 1/2000 sec f4 using DA*300 - personally I prefer TAV which is the mode I use shooting wildlife.
all auto focus menu items set to 1 -- that is Menu Items C 15, 16, 17 and 18 set to default 1
Focus area is SEL L all the points used with the center point selected

I also tried setting the Action in AF.C Continuous (menu item C 17) option to AUTO(setting=2) and FPS(setting=3) and feel focus priority, setting =1, gave me what I wanted. Personally a few less shots in focus, especially with the speed of the K-3, is better than more shots. I will see how this works in practice shooting birds.

11-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That looks really good. How does this compare to the K-5?

--DragonLord
11-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done. Looks promising. Thanks for sharing. Is that The Stig driving?
11-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you using the 'Expanded Area AF' ?

With the K-30 I have succesfully shot racing cars approaching with at least 90% success rate using that feature and centre point selected as the starting point.

I'm not sure whether you are considering those shots as succesful or not as it depends on which part of the car you intended to be in focus.

11-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great stuff, Bob. Thanks for testing this and posting your results!

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Is that The Stig driving?
The only Hondas the Stig would drive either have two wheels or the paint of a Formula 1 team on them.

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I'm not sure whether you are considering those shots as succesful or not as it depends on which part of the car you intended to be in focus.
We need a car with a giant focus target on the hood...

11-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that info Bob - will come in handy for a couple of school sports shoots this week.
11-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Are you using the 'Expanded Area AF' ?

With the K-30 I have succesfully shot racing cars approaching with at least 90% success rate using that feature and centre point selected as the starting point.

I was focusing on the license plate - I thought they were good
and yes - expanded area and center focus point
The settings:
Shooting in RAW = Photoshop JPEG conversion with no PP
TAV 1/2000 sec f4 using DA*300 - personally I prefer TAV which is the mode I use shooting wildlife.
all auto focus menu items set to 1 -- that is Menu Items C 15, 16, 17 and 18 set to default 1
Focus area is SEL L all the points used with the center point selected

I also tried setting the Action in AF.C Continuous (menu item C 17) option to AUTO(setting=2) and FPS(setting=3) and feel focus priority, setting =1, gave me what I wanted. Personally a few less shots in focus, especially with the speed of the K-3, is better than more shots. I will see how this works in practice shooting birds.