Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

K-3 delay when using the flash

Hello!

I have another problem with my brand new baby...

When I use the flash, internal or external, there is a delay/lag between the moment I press the button and the moment the K-3 effectively take the photo...

Anybody experience this?

11-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There is a lag for the P-TTL preflash, but it shouldn't be noticeable. Do you have redeye on?
11-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Redeye off. I compare to my K-5 and my dad's K-5 II. Le delay is too long for me; it's not noticeable for the K-5. But with my K-3... it's long!
11-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Bummer. What's wrong with Pentax and flashes?! My K20 was fine but apparently since the k7 they have been screwing up. (My K5ii doesn't work in P-TTL with the external flash and its a known issue.)

11-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've just tried it on my K-3 and as far as I can tell the camera fires at the exact instant that I have fully pressed the shutter button, that of course after having got the camera in focus with half press.

Could you quantify the delay you are experiencing?

Are you by any chance using live view? I do notice a delay when shooting in live view but that is also there when I shoot without flash in live view.
11-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for trying on your own...
Unfortunately I am not using liveview. I have the delay after having the camera in focus with half press.... I'll try to record an audio for for to hear the delay but I'd say 1/2 second...
Lister 6520: Can you confirm you have no delay even after having use your flash 3 or 4 times? just to verify ....
11-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
Thanks for trying on your own...
Unfortunately I am not using liveview. I have the delay after having the camera in focus with half press.... I'll try to record an audio for for to hear the delay but I'd say 1/2 second...
Lister 6520: Can you confirm you have no delay even after having use your flash 3 or 4 times? just to verify ....
Whoa! That's a telling question. Maybe the K3 is waiting for the flash to charge. There is a "Release while charging" on/off setting that will hold off the shutter until the flash is charged.

11-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Forum Member

just done quick test and as far i can tell no different than my K5
11-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #9
Forum Member

The first thing I did when I turned my new K3 on just about 10-minutes ago was to test this issue. Yep....there is a slight lag from when the shutter is fully depressed to when the shot is actually taken. This only happens when I have the flash up. Without the flash there is no delay taking the shot.

I'm keen to know who else is experiencing this because this K3 may end up back in the box for a quick replacement.

Oh, I'm using the DA* 16-50mm 2.8. No issues when using my K5. Plus the battery is fully charged on both cameras.
11-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Teal Quote
The first thing I did when I turned my new K3 on just about 10-minutes ago was to test this issue. Yep....there is a slight lag from when the shutter is fully depressed to when the shot is actually taken. This only happens when I have the flash up. Without the flash there is no delay taking the shot.

I'm keen to know who else is experiencing this because this K3 may end up back in the box for a quick replacement.

Oh, I'm using the DA* 16-50mm 2.8. No issues when using my K5. Plus the battery is fully charged on both cameras.
Ok! so I'm not the only one!
Maybe a new firmware could fix it...
11-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #11
Forum Member

Confirmed K3 lag when using flash

QuoteOriginally posted by Black_Wizards Quote
Ok! so I'm not the only one!
Maybe a new firmware could fix it...
I'm keen to know how many experience this, or whether this is a "new feature".

It's a shame I didn't test the flash with the demo model at Paxtons before I bought it, and won't be able to until Monday. I was stoked when they gave me an extra year warranty for free, but this is day1 and already there is a potential issue.

If this issue is persistent with more people, I plan on raising this on the launch in Sydney next week.
11-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #12
Forum Member

done some more messing around this issue and I can tell difference when i use P-TTL mode on my PF540 vs manual flash mode
I said before that i don't notice difference between k3 vs k5 but that would be because i almost always use manual mode.
I might unpack K5 again and compare in P-TTL mode but just when you think about what the P-TTL does I would have to think there will have to be slight delay as well.
saying that, difference from manual to P-TTL is so minimal I have to do few quick shots without P-TTL and then switch to P-TTL and fire couple of shots right away to notice the difference
11-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
done some more messing around this issue and I can tell difference when i use P-TTL mode on my PF540 vs manual flash mode
I said before that i don't notice difference between k3 vs k5 but that would be because i almost always use manual mode.
I might unpack K5 again and compare in P-TTL mode but just when you think about what the P-TTL does I would have to think there will have to be slight delay as well.
saying that, difference from manual to P-TTL is so minimal I have to do few quick shots without P-TTL and then switch to P-TTL and fire couple of shots right away to notice the difference
I have the delay using P-TTL in K-3 but not with K-5
11-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Slight delay when using either the built in or mounted flash using p-ttl.
11-15-2013, 04:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I experimented with the on-board flash (too lazy to stand up and mount the off-board )...

There's a slight delay on pressing on any flash mode, except for Manual - the flash discharges immediately. So this seems to be a P-TTL issue for both on-board flash and flashguns..

Interesting.