Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Huelight K-3 profiles

I just received this notification in my email.

Passing it on for whomever is interested.

FWIW the profiles work really well and they are my Lightroom default settings for the K-3

Hi,

Please find enclosed the latest updates to my K3 camera profiles.

The profiles have been recalculated improving the colour rendition.

I would appreciate it if you could let other K3 users know about my camera profiles as this will help me in developing the profiles further.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Colin

Twitter: https://twitter.com/colorfidelity

08-31-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The place to get them from is:

Huelight Camera Profiles
08-31-2014, 03:20 AM   #3

the previous version of Huelight K-3 profiles were released before Adobe added support for this camera and I couldn't see much difference compared to the Adobe Embedded profile.
The new versions however ("K-3 standard profile V56" in particular) are a nice addition with slightly different color rendering and I think it's worth to experience with them especially when it comes to skin tones
10-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I purchased profiles for K-3 II and I like what I'm seeing.

The Embedded profile gives me too purple skin tones while Adobe RGB tend to be too yellow. In this case (pics below), skin tones look horrible. The Huelight profiles are somewhere in between and look better than any of the normal options.

Color temperature is all the way down at 2000K on all photos so there isn't any room for further WB tweaks. I like that the Embedded gives a whiter white and slightly brighter photo. The second one (from left) has Hue adjustments made to it, to improve skin tones, but I don't like doing this for two reasons:

- People can get red noses or chins using Embedded profile and these can be hard to get rid of using hue tweaking - and the more aggressive I get with the hue shifting, the more I'm also altering colors that were otherwise correct, for instance a red dress or roses etc.

- I can't artistically alter the photo as I'm already using hues for fixing... well, I can to some degree, but it becomes way more tricky and time consuming.

On lowlight/high ISO indoor shots, I often lift darks as these easily gets crushed. I like the low contrast version of the Huelight profile. It brings out detail in blacks.

Overall, very happy with the purchase and can highly recommend it - this is, for now, based solely on skin tones. But that was also the only reason I wanted to get better profiles.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 11-24-2015 at 05:20 PM.
10-09-2015, 03:57 AM   #5

Thanks for this. I've purchased Huelight profiles for my Panasonic GX7 in the past and was pleased. Now getting some for my K-3..
10-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Is the K-3 updated to give the same rendering as the K-3II or should us older K-3 user purchase and use the K-3II profile?
10-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #7

Huelight profiles for K-3

I should imagine the profiles are unique for each model and they are all done with a view to getting a more realistic color pallet than that which Pentax offered by default. Naturally you could create the very same profiles yourself if you knew what you were doing but I don't so I found them a worthy purchase. The improvement is subtle but the K-3 colors were pretty good to begin with.

10-16-2015, 02:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

norman j shearer: You're welcome.

I too believe the profiles are unique - I've tried K-3 profiles, but they simply wont show up.
10-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I asked The light and they said that the profiles are different. You need the K3iis.
11-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I received an e-mail from Huelight few days ago, with updated profiles attached. I haven't really used them yet but current impression is that they are better - whites and skintones are better, IMO. In fact I think this new samlpe looks miles better than the old ones.

Naming is different too - this one uses the "Portrait" profile. Only profile and white balance was changed in this photo:

I've also edited my previous post, for easier comparison.