Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Unregistered User

Continous Highs different speeds

I am sure this has been discussed before but I cant find it so I ask again;

1) When setting the K-3 in continous high, manual at f/4 and 1/500 and the AF in manual the camera snapps away really fast.

2) If AF on my back button keeping it pressed it slows down to check focus every shot. Ok.

BUT, when letting go of the back button focus I was expecting the same speed as in 1) but is somewhere in between the both.

Anyone else find this odd?

09-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're in AF-S/focus priority, the camera won't let you shoot unless the scene is in focus. That's probably what's slowing you down.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #3
Unregistered User

I have the AF button set to AF2 with AF-C and SEL 3.
C15 =1
C16= 3
C17= 1
C18= 1

The thing is that it shoots at different frames per second depending on if AF is set to; 1) Manual 2) Not pressing the AF-button and 3) Pressing the AF-button.
With 2) it shoots even if totally out of focus but in a slower rate than 1). Changing C16 and C17 does not make any difference.
09-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I uses Hi continuous shooting all the time. In AF mode, I can achieve 8.3 fps (I checked it carefully)

I may suggest to ensure that all in camera PP is off, incl. lens distortion correction, high-ISO correction....

Do you use Liveview? Do you use P. Tv, TaV, M? Which lens do you use? I am not sure why you cannot achieve reliable Hi continuous shooting, although I suspect some in-camera PP.

My 5 cents.

09-18-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I uses Hi continuous shooting all the time. In AF mode, I can achieve 8.3 fps (I checked it carefully)

I may suggest to ensure that all in camera PP is off, incl. lens distortion correction, high-ISO correction....

Do you use Liveview? Do you use P. Tv, TaV, M? Which lens do you use? I am not sure why you cannot achieve reliable Hi continuous shooting, although I suspect some in-camera PP.

My 5 cents.
I have no PP on, shooting RAW and have turned all these functions of since they do not transfer to Adobe Camera RAW. Also no noise reduction.

As I said in my first post I use M with a high shutter speed, 1/500 and f/4 i.e fully open with my DA*300. I use the viewfinder, LCD turned off.

When not pushing the AF button the camera lets me take a picture even if it is not in focus so I concluded that this equals Manual focus.

But with a slower fps compared to if I turn the AF-lever to M.

I will however check C.25, Catch In Focus when I get back home. This setting has had some impact in the past on various actions.
09-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
Unregistered User

No impact setting C.25 to On or Off.

Just weird... Well, lets leave it at that.

Thanks for you insights.