Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Help! K3 rear LCD screen OFF!

Been shooting happily with my K3 for 6 months and one day I turn it on and get nothing on the rear LCD screen. A quick search turns up some options on the older models but nothing definitive on the K3. Had it working for a bit yesterday (don't know how) and once I powered down and back up it was off again. I'm hoping I hit some button combination to turn it off and just need to do it again!

Googled lots
Searched PentaxForums
Look in the Manual

Any help would be awesome

Joe

09-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you remove the lens and power up you don't get a focal length prompt?
09-20-2014, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Press the 'info' button twice then left arrow on 4-way twice, then 'OK'.
09-21-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply's. I finally got it on by holding the info button during power up. That said, the info-info directions from above button works just fine now. However when my screen was off.....it was off no matter what button you hit. I can not reproduce what mode it was in and now i'm curious if it was a glitch or some combination on buttons to completely disable the screen. A mystery until next time!

10-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Spoke too soon.....same problem cropped up again. Just after charging.....BAM! no lcd rear screen.....no playback....no menu to try a reset! I don't get it?
10-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Does LiveView work?

Also remember that the camera will by default remember all your display settings after you power off, including if your last setting was 'display off'.
10-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
no live view, no menu, no playback......kaput! Did a chat with Pentax/Ricoh and they think internal malfunction...please send back. I enter a Fall Foliage Festival photo contest every year in town and have won two straight! I went out last night to shoot with the small lcd and try my luck. When I downloaded the pics everything was B&W! Not sure if B&W leaves are gonna win it this year

10-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jezzeppi Quote
no live view, no menu, no playback......kaput! Did a chat with Pentax/Ricoh and they think internal malfunction...please send back. I enter a Fall Foliage Festival photo contest every year in town and have won two straight! I went out last night to shoot with the small lcd and try my luck. When I downloaded the pics everything was B&W! Not sure if B&W leaves are gonna win it this year
I've had this problem with my k30. Since it turned on with the memory card door open or closed I checked out the little(and quite crappy) door switch. After some poken and proddin of the switch the lcd came back up.
10-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
no luck there.....can anyone with a K3 confirm that the LCD won't work if the SD card door is open?
10-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
an anyone with a K3 confirm that the LCD won't work if the SD card door is open?
Yep, neither lcd works with the SD card door open. .
10-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
My top one is working fine... So that can be ruled out
09-22-2019, 04:22 AM   #12

Hello. I took my Pentax into some heavy rain and water got I through the mic port. I dried it out and everything is working fine, but the LCD screen is now completely non fictional. What did you end up doing for your LCD? Did you send it to Pentax?
10-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #13

If you shoot raw+jpeg, the raw images are full color, you can postprocess them without problem, it's just the JPEGs in b&w.
10-30-2019, 03:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mrcn138 Quote
Hello. I took my Pentax into some heavy rain and water got I through the mic port. I dried it out and everything is working fine, but the LCD screen is now completely non fictional. What did you end up doing for your LCD? Did you send it to Pentax?

People still fell on "Pentax Full weather sealed" advertisment, as something like it's 100 % safe and 100 % waterproof
10-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #15

Well that's not an answer to my question. And if you read what I said, I had a port left open which disabled the weather sealing. I've taken my k3 in torrential downpours of rain snow and ice and had no issues