Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

What is the K3 eyepiece cover for?

I can't figure out why I would want to cover it up?

09-20-2014, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
I can't figure out why I would want to cover it up?
When you want to prevent stray light from entering through the viewfinder - such as when doing a very long exposure for astro or real low ISO night shot.
09-20-2014, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes when you do a super long exposure shot, light can leak in through the eye piece past the mirror. The eyepiece cover prevents that.
09-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

And in addition, it is of course a cover and as such good to use in dusty or dirty areas to avoid build-up of dust/dirt in your end of the viewfinder.

09-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The metering system in most SLRs is set up assuming that your ete will be covering the viewfinder. If you are shooting from a tripod and your eye isn't covering the finder, light entering the viewfinder will drastically change the metering.
09-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Sometimes when you do a super long exposure shot, light can leak in through the eye piece past the mirror. The eyepiece cover prevents that.
And it is my experience with the K-3 that you really have to use the eyepiece for those long exposures when the camera is mounted on a tripod and one typically doesn't look trough the viewfinder. Otherwise you can get some really weird photo's!
09-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
The metering system in most SLRs is set up assuming that your ete will be covering the viewfinder. If you are shooting from a tripod and your eye isn't covering the finder, light entering the viewfinder will drastically change the metering.
That's correct. I find it easier to keep a small piece of black gaffer tape in my bag and lightly cover the viewfinder than to remove the eyecup and use the cover . . . which I probably already lost anyway. I wouldn't think it hard to design an onboard cover of some type rather than a loose one, but apparently it is.

09-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
That's correct. I find it easier to keep a small piece of black gaffer tape in my bag and lightly cover the viewfinder than to remove the eyecup and use the cover . . . which I probably already lost anyway. I wouldn't think it hard to design an onboard cover of some type rather than a loose one, but apparently it is.
Some of the first auto-exposure Pentax cameras (ESII and K2DMD) came with built in viewfinder blinds.
09-20-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can easily convince yourself why you need this for long exposures with the K-3. Put it in Bulb and take two 3-minute exposures in an inside room, one with the eyepiece cover and one without. Use a low ISO.

Jack
09-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks, glad I didn't trash it.
09-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Thanks, glad I didn't trash it.
No kidding !!
09-21-2014, 05:52 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax eyepiece cover: the most glaring example of where the K-3 is not "pro quality".

YMMV

Michael
09-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It's worth noting that if you shoot in full manual mode no "light leak" will occur through the eyepiece, even if your eye is not behind the eyepiece. The black eyepiece shield is not necessary. I take a time-delay group shot of the family (so I can be in the picture) every Thanksgiving from a tripod, and use the manual mode for this reason. Also remember that in manual mode, the shake reduction feature is automatically turned off - the assumption is that you will use a tripod, which already stabilizes the camera.

John
09-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I.. Also remember that in manual mode, the shake reduction feature is automatically turned off - the assumption is that you will use a tripod, which already stabilizes the camera.

John
Not true... It does not turn off when in manual exposure mode or manual focus mode.

It will however turn off when you use self timer.
09-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Not true... It does not turn off when in manual exposure mode or manual focus mode.

It will however turn off when you use self timer.
I stand corrected. Thanks.

John