Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2015, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

After 14 Months - MOIRE strikes on K3 :-)

I'd forgotten all about AA filters and such. Shooting a play rehearsal last night, i noticed that the lead actor's shirt was swimming with moire- big time. Thoughts in succession:

A. OMG - i can't use that
B. OMG - that's, thats moire
C. OMG - I remember that K3 has a moire option - somewhere
D. There it is in the first series of menus, but there's 3 options to choose from
E. Option 1 doesn't work - dang. Shirt still swims like a snake
F. Option 2, OMG, it works.
G. Ricoh/Pentax is bliss.

Took a good look at the shirt as the play continued - hundreds of very fine lines running vertical

If i had a D800e - i'd have to give up on shots of that actor. Not sure if LR has a moire filter in it - will have to check it out.

Will include moire pictures after i get some pictures uploaded to the theater office - the show must go on :-)

Anyone else encounter moire with their K3????

03-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'd forgotten all about AA filters and such. Shooting a play rehearsal last night, i noticed that the lead actor's shirt was swimming with moire- big time. Thoughts in succession:

A. OMG - i can't use that
B. OMG - that's, thats moire
C. OMG - I remember that K3 has a moire option - somewhere
D. There it is in the first series of menus, but there's 3 options to choose from
E. Option 1 doesn't work - dang. Shirt still swims like a snake
F. Option 2, OMG, it works.
G. Ricoh/Pentax is bliss.

Took a good look at the shirt as the play continued - hundreds of very fine lines running vertical

If i had a D800e - i'd have to give up on shots of that actor. Not sure if LR has a moire filter in it - will have to check it out.

Will include moire pictures after i get some pictures uploaded to the theater office - the show must go on :-)

LOL, lucky you remembered.
and no, so far i haven't encountered moire
03-02-2015, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that's.....a....moire!
03-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

Nice to know it works. :-). Just got my K3 over the weekend and have been playing around with it. Left the AA in the default off position. Have to find something to shoot that will produce moire and then play with the filter like you did.

03-02-2015, 12:35 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Just thought of a neat idea... print a shirt that has the effect of moire and just walk around crowds where people are taking pictures... that might stir up some internet debate regarding AA filters
03-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #6

I was at home one day and decided to take some shots of the kids watching TV. I was behind them shooting, and noticed the moire in the TV. Tried with moire setting 1, noticeable difference. Setting 2, virtually eliminated the issue.
03-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not sure if LR has a moire filter in it - will have to check it out.

one of the best techniques I've used for dealing with moire, I shared in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/2...e-removal.html

I now have a photoshop preset to execute the entire process with one "Shift+F12" key press

03-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

...If i had a D800e - i'd have to give up on shots of that actor. Not sure if LR has a moire filter in it - will have to check it out...
Yes, LR has a moire tool. I only tried it once on a Ricoh GR architectural photo. I wasn't happy with the results so converted to B&W to hide the moire, but the bad results may have been my newness more than the tool itself.
03-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh yes! A few months back I was shooting over a hundred samples for a fabric designer's new website. Aside from being color-critical (yay Colorchecker!), about 1/3 of the samples were perfect for showing moiré all over the place! Just a matter of resolution and how fine the weave is converging at the perfect distance...

I suspected this might happen, so I did a few shots, turned on the AA simulator and got on with the production. (Also using the Flucard tethered to an iPad while the camera was above the samples - client loved this!)

Sometimes having the right tool for the job saves a tremendous amount of work later.
03-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I can often notice some moire in my photos taken using either my Pentax smc A 20mm f2.8 or my Tamron SP 90mm macro Di, they are razor sharp, the good news is that moire is only visible at 100% zoom.
Here is an example:
The whole photo resized:

A 100% crop without AA simulator, look at the barrier:

Same crop using "type 1" AA simulator setting:

Same crop using "type 2" AA filter simulator:

My conclusion: type 2 AA filter simulator performs well but sharpness decreases in the same time.
Some apps (e.g. ACR, Dxo, LR) perform very well and do not affect sharpness, so I prefer to use them instead of the AA filter simulator.
03-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Just thought of a neat idea... print a shirt that has the effect of moire and just walk around crowds where people are taking pictures... that might stir up some internet debate regarding AA filters
You have an evil mind. I like it.
03-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I took about 260 pictures last night - most with this guy's lined shirt in it. Cannot now find the moire pattern, could be i caught it all right away with the AA filter enabled, but i was thinking i had missed at least one. oh well. i took the option off today. Its impressive how few times its a problem. Thanks for all the comments!!!
03-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I took about 260 pictures last night - most with this guy's lined shirt in it. Cannot now find the moire pattern, could be i caught it all right away with the AA filter enabled, but i was thinking i had missed at least one. oh well. i took the option off today. Its impressive how few times its a problem. Thanks for all the comments!!!
Sometimes, because the screen is small and you see a re-sized image, on the camera you will see the moire, but when you zoom in 100% it might not actually be visible.
03-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Sometimes, because the screen is small and you see a re-sized image, on the camera you will see the moire, but when you zoom in 100% it might not actually be visible.
That must be what happened. When LR starts to show a low resolution image, before going to 100%, i can see the moire on some of the lower resolution pics, but then it disappears at 100%. Anyway, alls well that ends there :-)