Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-30-2015, 05:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Moiré with the K3.

I tried real hard to get Moiré with my new K3. You really have to try to get some. I'm quite satisfied with this camera. Here are 2 nice pictures, including one with Moiré.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-30-2015, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

less than 1 out of 100 of my photos show any sign of moire, usually minuscule and hardly noticeable -- and only 1 out of 1000 shows any significant moire. I think they made the right call.

Michael
03-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
HYS
Veteran Member

Up to now I couldn't find Moire...
03-30-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is it easy to detect cases of moire on the rear screen, such as when glancing at the photo taken during the 3 second instant review? Or do you have to inspect the photo more closely on a computer? I am interested in the K3 but am not sure if I would leave the AA simulator on all the time or not just to avoid any chance of moire, unless I would quickly know when a photo had it. I assume there is no moire warning function on the K3 either?

03-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Is it easy to detect cases of moire on the rear screen, such as when glancing at the photo taken during the 3 second instant review? Or do you have to inspect the photo more closely on a computer? I am interested in the K3 but am not sure if I would leave the AA simulator on all the time or not just to avoid any chance of moire, unless I would quickly know when a photo had it. I assume there is no moire warning function on the K3 either?
There was a poll last year where the question was asked whether K-3 owners use the AA simulator and, if they do, how often. It was almost unanimous that no one uses it.
03-30-2015, 07:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Someone had it during a wedding shoot. That's sorta where you definitely would appreciate having the option of the AA simulator. If the FF camera has less pixel density and no AA filter, the AA simulator would definitely be more used.

I think I came across moire one in my 10,000 shots since I got the k-3 (it was on some fences), and it was visible on the rear LCD but only if you were looking for it.
03-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think that if you pixel peep you'll see moire way more often than 1 in 100 shots, but usually it isn't discernible or bothersome. I've yet to have a photo ruined by moire (excluding shots with textiles).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

moiré

Moiré is quite prominent here in the foreground (K3 + SMC DA 15 Ltd @ f/7.1).

03-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Since this is the only picture I got with Moiré, I won't use the AA simulator. I don't really need that.
04-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #10
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
Since this is the only picture I got with Moiré, I won't use the AA simulator. I don't really need that.
Maybe I'm looking too hard but I don't see Moire on either of your pics. (a bit of CA on the bird one tho).

I've only seen really noticeable Moire on one photo of mine - on the fabric of my son's suit. Looked just like the boardwalk photo Paul posted above, and it was pretty tough to remove.
04-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I thought I was seing Moiré in the fence, must be my old eyes.
04-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
Well, I thought I was seing Moiré in the fence, must be my old eyes.
I couldn't see it either. Moiré really isn't that easy to provoke with 24 mpx, as you fully resolve nearly everything! I would expect the recurring pattern in your fence is way too big to cause moiré. Because of the projection effect, the slotted pattern in my "lily pad bridge" image above is fine enough to be comparable to the Bayer pattern on the sensor.

I don't shoot a lot of fabrics. Does anyone have an example of fabric with moiré shot with and without the AA filter on the K3?
04-07-2015, 04:54 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Moiré really isn't that easy to provoke with 24 mpx
What you more often get is LoCA where the color bands overlap...not the same as moiré,..

Steve