Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Didn't know the K-3 allowed range selection of images

See page 60 (PDF page 62) of the K-3 operating manual.

I didn't know the K-3 allowed ranges of images to be selected for deletion, in addition to individual images. As a K-5 user, I tend to find myself selecting lots of individual images for deletion after a long series of shots, which is cumbersome. The maximum number of images that can be selected is also increased to 500 images, up from 100. This may seem silly, but I actually have run into the image selection cap a few times on my K-5.

Even better, folder, range, and multiple image selections can be used for operations such as protection or RAW development, not just deletion! (The K-5 allows multiple image selection for RAW development and index creation as well, but not for protection. Range selection is not implemented on the K-5.)

Guess this is another reason to upgrade to the K-3 (II) when I get the money...

—DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 04-27-2015 at 07:42 PM.
04-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm good info thanks. I hadn't run into this as I just offload the images onto the PC and format the card back in the camera. Guess it is nice to have if you need it.
04-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm with Larry. On the rare occasion I fill a memory card, I use a spare and worry about deleting images later.
04-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My understanding of flash memory is that reformatting is a better policy. Selective erasure adds write cycles and can wear out a section of memory prematurely. I'm not using the right technical trends because I'm too sleepy to think about it in detail... but the general idea is that a periodic reformat is the lowest wear option.

04-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

When you say reformat do you mean "erase all" or do you really reformat the whole card?
04-27-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
reformat is better
04-28-2015, 12:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Use the camera's "format card" function to format the card. It guarantees the file system is native to the camera and it cuts down on the number of write cycles to the card. Flash memory is rated for many thousands of write cycles, but it isn't infinite.

04-28-2015, 12:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also do an in camera format every time I import the images into Lightroom after a shoot.
04-28-2015, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
See page 60 (PDF page 62) of the K-3 operating manual.

I didn't know the K-3 allowed ranges of images to be selected for deletion, in addition to individual images. As a K-5 user, I tend to find myself selecting lots of individual images for deletion after a long series of shots, which is cumbersome. The maximum number of images that can be selected is also increased to 500 images, up from 100. This may seem silly, but I actually have run into the image selection cap a few times on my K-5.

Even better, folder, range, and multiple image selections can be used for operations such as protection or RAW development, not just deletion! (The K-5 allows multiple image selection for RAW development and index creation as well, but not for protection. Range selection is not implemented on the K-5.)

Guess this is another reason to upgrade to the K-3 (II) when I get the money...

—DragonLord
you do realise that this "feature" is at least as old as the K7 ?
04-28-2015, 02:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Actually, selection is improved in the K3. You can select some images in a 'dragging' style, skip a few, select some more. This also applies to image processing and copying to the other memory card.
04-28-2015, 02:22 AM   #11

Solid state memory like flash cards is designed to reuse the same "sectors" as little as possible. So when you delete a file the freed sectors will not be reused for some time. That is why I am able to recover files off my card using Photorec even when those files had been deleted nearly a year ago.

Formatting the card in camera merely rewrites (quick format) a blank copy of the file index table (Master File Table in NTFS).

Deleting a file merely flags the entry in the MFT as deleted and the sectors are freed up for eventual reuse.

A utility like SDFormater can perform a full format which writes over each sector. Many people call this a low-level format but a low-level format is something different:as it is performed at the hardware level by the disk controller - and writes out the "physical" track and sector markers and bad sector table

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-28-2015 at 02:58 AM.
04-28-2015, 02:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Actually, selection is improved in the K3. You can select some images in a 'dragging' style, skip a few, select some more. This also applies to image processing and copying to the other memory card.
i can do exactly that on the K-x so i don't really see an improvement here
04-28-2015, 05:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Just tried my K-7, have to hit OK to select each image. With K-3, I can drag select multiple images using the +/- button.
04-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Solid state memory like flash cards is designed to reuse the same "sectors" as little as possible. So when you delete a file the freed sectors will not be reused for some time. That is why I am able to recover files off my card using Photorec even when those files had been deleted nearly a year ago.

Formatting the card in camera merely rewrites (quick format) a blank copy of the file index table (Master File Table in NTFS).

Deleting a file merely flags the entry in the MFT as deleted and the sectors are freed up for eventual reuse.

A utility like SDFormater can perform a full format which writes over each sector. Many people call this a low-level format but a low-level format is something different:as it is performed at the hardware level by the disk controller - and writes out the "physical" track and sector markers and bad sector table
The above reminds me that the most reliable and easy way of erasing the files securely on an SD card (without using security software) is to overwrite the entire card with random compressed files, video for example. I have a range of videos of widely different sizes in a folder on my PC for just this purpose, ranging from 3GB down to 32KB, which I occasionally use. When the card is full, I just do a bulk delete of the copied video files and it's 'good to go' again. With modern 60 MB/s SD cards for example, it doesn't take as long as you might think... and any previously deleted files are then almost certainly irrecoverable. For absolute certainty, do it twice.

Last edited by Dave L; 04-30-2015 at 05:33 AM.
04-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #15

This ability was available on my *istDL.