Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

K3 memory card error

My K3 is only a few months old. I went to use it this morning and am receiving a memory card error.
I tried cleaning out the slots and my memory cards. I have a Lexar 32gb and a SanDisk 16gb, both work fine in my K30.
I tried formatting them on my computer since the camera itself will not let me. I tried each slot and neither work.
I've been searching through archived threads but can't seem to find my specific problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated! I have shoots this weekend that I need it for since my k30 is on its last leg.

04-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The file allocation tables on the cards could have corrupted somehow - possibly in the K-30.

When you formatted them in the computer, did you do a "Quick format" or the full format which takes much, much longer? If not then I suggest you try the latter with one of the cards and see if the K-3 can then read/format that.
04-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have a go formatting the cards for your K-3 on your PC using this tool:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

Sometimes PC card readers aren't aware of the structure of SDXC etc cards.
04-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Normally the card should be best formatted in-camera. It may also signal corrupted cards. I would seriously consider to get new cards. Cards are now cheap and personally I prefer to throw away a card as soon as it shows signs of corruptions/error.

My 5 cents.

04-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
Jeallen, I did the long format to both cards thank you for the thought though!

rawr, I may try that although my computer has never had a problem formatting them in the past.

hcc, I had a brand new back up Lexar still in the packaging that I just took out and tried with no luck, same error.
04-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by midkiffphoto Quote
I had a brand new back up Lexar still in the packaging that I just took out and tried with no luck, same error.
So three different cards do not work? In either slot? That does not sound like a card problem unfortunately. It might be time to check your warranty.

You might want to try a complete camera reset, but I think that is a long shot.
04-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #7

Original Poster
Jatrax, that's what I was afraid of. I've actually tried 5 different cards. I may try to reset just to rule it out and dig out my warranty.

04-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Have a go formatting the cards for your K-3 on your PC using this tool:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html
rawr, I may try that although my computer has never had a problem formatting them in the past.
Sorry you are having card problems. The most likely causes are:
  • bad card
  • corrupted file system
The latter is usually caused by removing the card from the card reader before it is properly ejected (more properly, unmounted) from the computer. The solution is to use the tool at the link provided by rawr to format the card. Here are a few bullet points regarding SD cards:
  • NEVER format a SDXC card on your computer. Chances are good that your computer's format utility does not fully support the card's exFAT file system or that you may inadvertently format to FAT32 rather than exFAT.*
  • ALWAYS take the time to eject/unmount a card before removing it from the reader. Neglecting to do so may work most of the time, but if there is an open file on the card, pulling it may result in corruption of the card's file system.

All that being said, since you are having issues with even a brand new card, the problem may be with your camera

Steve

* The Wikipedia article on SD has a concise explanation: Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-30-2015 at 09:03 AM.
04-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

hcc, I had a brand new back up Lexar still in the packaging that I just took out and tried with no luck, same error.
Just a thought, I think cameras do "Quick Formats" and so sometimes need the cards to have full Formats in a PC before the cameras will recognise them - have you tried that with the brand new card?

Other thought - have you tried taking the battery out of the K-3 for a few minutes (or longer if you have time), and then reinserting it and trying again? (sometimes the K-3 does appear to need that to "get its head in order").

Otherwise it could well be warrantee time!

---------- Post added 04-30-15 at 05:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
link provided by rawr to format the card. Here are a few bullet points regarding SD cards:
[*]NEVER format a SDXC card on your computer. Chances are good that your computer's format utility does not fully support the card's exFAT file system or that you may inadvertently format to FAT32 rather than exFAT.*

Steve

* The Wikipedia article on SD has a concise explanation: Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Steve

From what I think I understand from a very quick read of the linked article, it would appear that all reasonably modern Microsoft and Apple OS' support the ExFAT required to format SDXC cards - so, unless the OP's computer is running a very old version of the OS, then I would have thought that this should not be the issue - otherwise the previous formats of the cards would have meant that they won't be read by the cameras a long time ago.

Looks to me like something else!

No problems so far myself in using W7 PCs to format cards up to 16GB for use in both the K-3 and K-30 - and even swopping cards between them (possibly not recommended but does seem to have worked so far - but never tried any cards larger than 16GB.

John

PS: thanks for the link to the interesting Wikipedia page - quite enlightening!
04-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well now the camera won't come on at all and is making a clicking noise.
07-17-2023, 07:09 AM   #11

Hi
Hoping the OP is still on the forum..
My K3 is doing same thing and clicking as well..
Was a solution found or repair needed?
Mand