Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Timelapse video from the weekend

Took this on the weekend, overlooking a lake. I'd like to do more of this, with an even longer time span and zoomed in a bit more.

Sped up more after the fact with FFMpeg. Enjoy!

05-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What interval were the shots taken at? The clouds are smooth and alive. Well done!
05-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

nice! love doin time lapses.....starting to use Av mode instead of scene mode during the day/sunset..got a lot of flicker when getting the moon rising but it's a first for me and not sure how to achieve balanced exposure...use a 28/2.8 at night and soon a 14/2.8.....
05-05-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
What interval were the shots taken at? The clouds are smooth and alive. Well done!
I believe the interval was 10 seconds. At that rate, it was fairly slow, I sped up the video after the fact using this script on my Mac. In the future I think I'd up the interval to 20 seconds to save memory and then still speed it up after the fact.

05-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
nice! love doin time lapses.....starting to use Av mode instead of scene mode during the day/sunset..got a lot of flicker when getting the moon rising but it's a first for me and not sure how to achieve balanced exposure...use a 28/2.8 at night and soon a 14/2.8.....
this evening's sky time lapse 5/3/15 - YouTube
I wonder, maybe setting it to M and doing one exposure reading would be the way to go for a video like that?

I've noticed this is a great way to drain the battery on the k3 after a couple of hours, I'd love to pick up a power cable for it to do a really long timelapse...
05-05-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I hover around 120 shots anywhere from 30-50 minutes per scene.......I go to location and not hanging out long.......need more than 1 exposure to do a time lapse video
05-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
this evening's sky time lapse 5/3/15 - YouTube
Use only full manual exposure! It's more difficult for sunrise, let's say, but you will stop the shooting when the sun it's bright enough.
I don't know how many shots can get with a battery, but I sure want a cheap solution to this problem.
A battery grip for K-3 it's 200 euros.

05-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

at night full manual is great but need some adjustment during the rise or set sequence......sunset scene mode has worked well for me but lately I have been using Av on a set aperture and is doin ok except for the moon rising the other day (when full)........will try again when the moon rises while it's still day light.......
05-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you use Av mode you will get the flicker, due to variations on where the aperture gets set by the camera.
Another option is to set a fixed suitable aperture on a manual aperture ring lens, and let the camera ride the shutter speed and iso value to provide the different exposure values you need during a sunset/sunrise transition.
05-12-2015, 02:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I have been fine with the sun......so it was odd to me to have flicker on the moon rising portion on the time lapse.....really expected balanced exposure but the somewhat cloudy conditions on the horizon may have something to do with that.....