Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2015, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #1

K3 II pixel-shift samples on IR. I'm impressed

Imaging Resource have posted a number of pixel-shift samples from the K3 II.

Pentax K-3 II Review: First Shots - Tech2

Only JPEGs so far but they compare to the K3, D810 and Olympus OMD EM-5 II.

Anyone who doubted the difference that this feature could make to resolution should take a look (and everyone else!)

05-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Works for me.
05-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
Imaging Resource have posted a number of pixel-shift samples from the K3 II.

Pentax K-3 II Review: First Shots - Tech2

Anyone who doubted the difference that this feature could make to resolution should take a look (and everyone else!)
They look great! I wonder if they shot jpeg or, if raw, how they got them to work. The discussion here seems to point to raw format not working correctly with most programs.
05-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was mildly amused by the comments and the responses regarding PS in combination with SR and/or continuous shooting. While they were old comments made before the camera made its appearance, the answers are intuitively obvious. The recently released manual has a table with a compatibility matrix. In simplest terms, when PS is used, one is limited to a single exposure* with no SR or AA filter emulation.

Duh!

Steve

* no bracketing, multiple, or interval exposure features

05-28-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
Don't forget the 645Z comparison shots!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-28-2015 at 08:43 PM.
05-28-2015, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
They look great!
I agree. I am disappointed that the RAW files cannot be properly read by non-Pentax software, but it may well be worth the tradeoff.

Steve
05-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I wonder if, with a faster camera CPU perhaps, it will ever be possible to run pixel shift without the limitations on it at the moment - tripod, static target etc? To make it work in normal, everyday shooting.

From the IR samples, it looks like it could be very useful for low-light, low-noise shooting (eg of gigs, indoor events like weddings), but nothing stays static there.

It will be interesting to see how Pentax evolves this.

05-28-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What impressed me most was the comparison shots between K-3 II and Nikon D810. in the Red and Yellow Fabric test.As Article says the difference isnt Night & Day but its very noticeable.
05-28-2015, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
What impressed me most was the comparison shots between K-3 II and Nikon D810. in the Red and Yellow Fabric test.As Article says the difference isnt Night & Day but its very noticeable.
Me too. Red/yellow performance is an issue with many digital cameras and to see these clean results sort of sent shivers up my spine.

Steve
05-28-2015, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

This camera is complicating things! I wasn't planning to upgrade from the K3 until the FF comes out, but this feature and the inbuilt GPS (Astro tracer) are making me think twice... Its about time Ricoh started announcing some details on the FF I think!
05-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The pixel-shift K-3II images are quite impressive. If there were not a Pentax ff body expected soon, I would buy one. Imagine that body with pixel-shift versus the D810.

I would like to see some pixel-shift images with motion in the frame to gauge how the tech will work for landscapes with moving water or wind-driven foliage.
05-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was mildly amused by the comments and the responses regarding PS in combination with SR and/or continuous shooting. While they were old comments made before the camera made its appearance, the answers are intuitively obvious. The recently released manual has a table with a compatibility matrix. In simplest terms, when PS is used, one is limited to a single exposure* with no SR or AA filter emulation.

Duh!

Steve

* no bracketing, multiple, or interval exposure features
seems to be a "one use of the shake reduction system at a time" sort of thing. I wonder how it will get along with flash as well.
05-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't forget the 640Z comparison shots!

Steve

Do you mean 240z?
05-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Get mine on Saturday. Exciting times...I knew it was going to be. Damn....the minutes are ticking by so slowly.
05-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #15

Original Poster
Me too. Red/yellow performance is an issue with many digital cameras and to see these clean results sort of sent shivers up my spine.
Yes there's something very satisfying about getting this level of pixel-level quality - reminds me of the satisfaction of seeing sharp details emerging through the grain of film. Trouble is, the difference between the pixel-shifted and normal exposures from the same camera is such that once used, I think many of us may not want to go back to the bad old days of bayer interpolation. Sigma may do well out of this! After this I'm expecting the DNGs to be phenomenal.

So if the DNG files are nearly 4x the size of normal DNGs, I take it we are looking at files which store all the luminance data from four captures, which is subsequently demosaiced in PP, rather than the demosaicing happening in-camera and a file output with full colour data at each pixel? I was hoping for the latter, but I'm not complaining.