Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash lag fixed / FW 1.21

This is worthy of note for all pTTL flash users. It is an impressive improvement not only in reducing lag, but the external flash consistency appears to have improved considerably.

See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/296958-pentax-k3ii-has-shu...ml#post3276719

06-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the fresh thread. With any luck other forum users will confirm this fix and post their experiences here rather than on the other thread.

Steve
06-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I just tested with my K-3, FW1.21, and AF360FGZ in pTTL mode. No discernable delay. Response is noticeably faster.
06-06-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I apologize for not specifying that I was talking about the K-3. I can't imagine that the K-3ii has FW 1.21, but still I should have listed it in the subject line. In any event, I suspect that some form of improvement can be expected in the K-3ii fairly soon - although the coding necessarily is going to be somewhat different due to lack of the on-board flash on the latter model.

06-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just tested out my K-3 silver (fw 1.21) with 540ii. I still have the delay. No noticeable improvement.
06-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Just tested out my K-3 silver (fw 1.21) with 540ii. I still have the delay. No noticeable improvement.
That's interesting. How about the on-board flash? Presumably, it will have a similar delay. Also, it would be good to know if you've tried various lenses. It will take some effort to pinpoint the reason(s) for differences.
06-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
That's interesting. How about the on-board flash? Presumably, it will have a similar delay. Also, it would be good to know if you've tried various lenses. It will take some effort to pinpoint the reason(s) for differences.
Onboard P-TTL has the same delay. Enough time to press the shutter and lift my finger up before the flash goes off. I've tried the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and the Pentax DA 50mm f/1.8. Both onboard and external flashes have the P-TTL delay.

Onboard manual flash has no delay at all.

06-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your experience is exactly what mine was - until I did the testing today for the first time with 1.21. Your answer is what I expected. Again, the camera is holding almost all the cards - not the flash, and not the lenses. Not that these are good answers, but when was your K-3 built (date on the battery that came with the camera is the quickest way to get a good idea)? Mine is of the newer batch - still less than a year old - and likely has the newer module to prevent mirror flopping. The other question is about the firmware. You have verified it as 1.21 in the menu after install I'm sure (not that I doubt you, but just covering all the bases here).
06-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

1.21 confirmed in the firmware/update menu

I have 4 batteries, two that came with my older K-5 and two that came with the K-3 w/ grip. Older batteries say 201101 and newer batteries say 201211
06-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, my K-3 battery is 2014 08 (August), although I believe my unit was actually produced in October or November. I don't see how the module on mine could behave differently than on the older units when it comes to FW implementation.

I'm stumped. Believe me, I am not imaging the difference. It is as apparent as can be. The old lag was very notable, and consistent. The external flash was terribly inconsistent. This was the case after my initial FW update (pretty sure that was 1.11). Like nearly everyone else - I skipped FW 1.20.

Let's hope we can find some others who report. For those who haven't updated to 1.21 please test your pTTL flash. Easy to do so using the on-board. Compare lag to manual flash shot. Update FW, and check again. All we can do is track the pattern to determine possible causes - such as the OP might be crazy!
06-06-2015, 02:49 PM   #11
Unregistered User

I bought the K-3 when released so it is an oldie. I would say that there is still a lag but maybe not as long as before. Manual and TTL are much closer in feel now.
06-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Yeah, my K-3 battery is 2014 08 (August), although I believe my unit was actually produced in October or November. I don't see how the module on mine could behave differently than on the older units when it comes to FW implementation.

I'm stumped. Believe me, I am not imaging the difference. It is as apparent as can be. The old lag was very notable, and consistent. The external flash was terribly inconsistent. This was the case after my initial FW update (pretty sure that was 1.11). Like nearly everyone else - I skipped FW 1.20.

Let's hope we can find some others who report. For those who haven't updated to 1.21 please test your pTTL flash. Easy to do so using the on-board. Compare lag to manual flash shot. Update FW, and check again. All we can do is track the pattern to determine possible causes - such as the OP might be crazy!

Like wise my battery is a 201408 version. I purchased the K-3 in October, I think. It came loaded with the latest, at the time, firmware 1.02 I think. I've never had a mirror flop issue with it either. As I reported on the other thread I found no appreciable shutter lag in Manual, TV or AV mode in P-TTL flash using a Sigma EF 610 DG Super flash. I can only assume that there was an updated module used in the newer K-3 bodies and the updated module responds to the Firmware 1.21 better than the older first production run units. I guess we late buyers ought to consider ourselves fortunate. One thing I've learned over the years is to never buy the first run of any mechanical or electronic device from automobiles on down.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 06-06-2015 at 07:27 PM.
06-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Like wise my battery is a 201408 version. I purchased the K-3 in October, I think. It came loaded with the latest, at the time, firmware 1.02 I think. I've never had a mirror flop issue with it either. As I reported on the other thread I found no appreciable shutter lag in Manual, TV or AV mode in P-TTL flash using a Sigma EF 610 DG Super flash. I can only assume that there was an updated module used in the newer K-3 bodies and the updated module responds to the Firmware 1.21 better than the older first production run units. I guess we late buyers ought to consider ourselves fortunate. One thing I've learned over the years is to never buy the first run of any mechanical or electronic device from automobiles on down.

Larry
Nope, that isn't it most likely. Mine was purchased later than yours - very end of November, and I had the production date at one time - not more than a month earlier. I was not aware of the shutter lag problem, and went out for an assignment - and was very much dismayed when I encountered the hugely evident shutter lag problem at that time. I very much doubt that the later module has anything to do with it. The difference now, is very significant - almost no lag.
06-07-2015, 04:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Didn't work for me

First image is P-TTL with 1.02
Second is manual with 1.21
Third image is P-TTL with 1.21

No discernible difference between 1.02 and 1.21 in terms of lag but huge difference between manual and P-TTL regardless of firmware version. Still way too slow in P-TTL to capture 'spur of the moment' shots, which is when I need P-TTL most.

Not sure what's happening with the exposure probably nothing to do with the firmware upgrade - possibly inadvertently different orientation of the flash head before and after the update.

In the meantime I also did a little test shooting video of me pressing the shutter button. In manual the flash lights either in the same frame showing my finger contacting the button or at latest the next one. In P-TTL I get about 4 to 7 frames between my finger hitting the shutter and the pre-flash illuminating. Then there are one or two further frames before the main flash illuminates. I shot the video with VGA resolution with a Q10, but I don't know what frame rate that corresponds to.

Sorry for the double post - I inadvertently posted in the old thread.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/296958-pentax-k3ii-has-shu...#ixzz3cNIZQCCa
06-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
Second is manual with 1.21
???? Manual previously was lag-free.

Steve