Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #1

Two questions about the K3

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a K3 and I had two questions about it.
  1. Firstly, how do I light the top LCD screen in movie mode? I could not find this in the manual or in the menu.
  2. Secondly, is there a way to apply the manual settings to the LiveView mode? Yesterday, I was trying to focus stars, but they were saturated, even with shutter speed of 1/1000s.

07-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
for stars i don't think you can change the liveview brightness enough, you have to look at the corners of the stars and focus till the CA's become a minimum.
the only way of influencing the live view appearence is, as far as i know, to use spot metering and position bright areas in the centre, but this will only work for bigger objects like the moon for instance.
07-01-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In M mode live view should provide you with a real time exposure preview. It won't in other modes.

As for the top LCD, I'm not sure yet even can because it only shows info pertinent to stills.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In M mode live view should provide you with a real time exposure preview. It won't in other modes.
Yes, but only from -5 to +5EV compared to the actual metering...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As for the top LCD, I'm not sure yet even can because it only shows info pertinent to stills.
... excepted for the exposure metering mode 😉
And aren't shutter, aperture and ISO pertinent to video too?

07-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Azergoth Quote
.. excepted for the exposure metering mode 😉 And aren't shutter, aperture and ISO pertinent to video too?
for videos you can only use the back screen of the camera and not the optical viewfinder, therefore i think it was not designated to use the top LCD because the ISO, shutter and aperture can be seen on the back screen during videography.
but i am only guessing here because i usually don't use video mode.
07-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
for videos you can only use the back screen of the camera and not the optical viewfinder, therefore i think it was not designated to use the top LCD because the ISO, shutter and aperture can be seen on the back screen during videography.
but i am only guessing here because i usually don't use video mode.
Yeah, I can understand. The only thing I was missing is the exposure mode.

By the way, I found a way to focus the stars in LifeView. Just use the movie mode 😃 in manual mode 😃 I haven't tried yet, but I think it should work