Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-3 (not K-3II) future availability & price guesses

I've been eyeing a K-3 (not K-3II), and wondering about still further price drops in the future, vs. risking having reliable retailers like B&H and Adorama running out of stock in the future. Put differently: if I wait some months yet (e.g., until Black Friday or similar), have you any guess as to whether it likely to still be readily available (and at a price much different from today's, which seems to be in the 650 to 750 USD range)? FYI, Amazon no longer has it available as "shipped and sold by Amazon," though that could be a marketing choice rather than a choice forced by disappearing inventory at Ricoh/Pentax. (For prior models like K5, from what I can tell, final "closeout" prices seem to run around 40% to 50% of original selling price, so I don't think the K-3 is quite "there" yet.) Thanks for any insight.

07-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing has been said about discontinuing the Classic K-3, so that usually gives a 4-month leeway for when stock is gone as I see it. I'm hoping to be in the market by Christmastime as well, and I don't feel like it will be gone by then. Whether I prefer a K-s2 at holiday prices, or if a K-s1 price crash happens... we'll see
07-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The clearest indication of a model being discontinued is when its replacement is announced. In the case of the K-3, that has not happened yet. Retail pricing is not a good indicator of future availability, though you can generally count on getting the best deals at or near the time when a replacement product launches.

A good rule of thumb is to not buy early in a product life-cycle. Keeping that in mind, buy what you need at a price point you can afford regardless of what point the camera is in its product life-cycle. After all, the camera is a tool, not an investment and value lost at resale used should not be part of the decision-making process. Once you purchase, stop shopping at least until the camera is out of warranty.

Steve
07-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jus a wild guess: plenty of K3 (no the K3II) cameras on the market when the FF hits the market and that should bring some interesting prices ... ?

07-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-3 seems to have stabilized around $750 at authorized dealers, and around $100 less grey market. I'm sure it will go even lower eventually but I don't expect it to drop sharply or be "discontinued" for a while

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, but here's a PF puzzle with regard to the comments above about the K-3 not being discontinued: the specifications table at the start of the K-3 user review page at PF lists the K-3 as discontinued in 2015. Hence my query about how long it's likely to be available.
07-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The clearest indication of a model being discontinued is when its replacement is announced. In the case of the K-3, that has not happened yet.
Is the K-3 ii not its replacement? Yes, It's an upgraded K-3 and not a full blown next generation, but it's nonetheless the newer model.

Did the K-5 remain in production with the introduction of the K-5 ii and K-5 iis? Were all three K-5's in production at one point?

07-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lititz Quote
here's a PF puzzle
That is a puzzle. The original (first) reviewer has the ability to edit the description details. Perhaps someone has jumped the gun a little? FWIW, the Ricoh Japan Web site still lists both the K-3 and K-50 as current product.

Steve
07-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Did the K-5 remain in production with the introduction of the K-5 ii and K-5 iis? Were all three K-5's in production at one point?
Yes. What's more, both the K-5II and K-5IIs were active products for some time after the K-3 was released.

Steve
07-04-2015, 02:34 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't expect it to drop sharply or be "discontinued" for a while
As noted above, the User Review page for the K-3 shows it as being discontinued in 2015. Did someone make a boo boo?

Steve
07-05-2015, 12:44 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, the User Review page for the K-3 shows it as being discontinued in 2015. Did someone make a boo boo?

Steve
Yup, I don't think that's right. They must have assumed that with the launch of the K-3 II, the K-3 goes bye bye.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #12

It will be nice to acquire the k3 in the low 600 or less