Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Testing SR and other functions on K-3 after repair

Dear Pentaxians,

I will be getting my K-3 back today from Precision Camera after warranty repair (per the phone representative they replaced shutter block, main circuit board and diaphragm control). Apart from generally taking pictures to test out the repairs, are any other tests I can run to test specific functions? e.g. shake reduction. I could drop shutter speed to 1/10 sec, turn SR off, hand hold, shoot and do the same with SR turned on and compare, but there's got to be a more bullet-proof way.

I had initially sent it away to fix an issue where date/time was resetting after taking the battery out for 2 seconds (will test that as well). Since a replacement part was going to take a few weeks, I asked the camera be returned to me in the interim. I got it back but it wasn't clicking anymore, not sure what happened and where. I sent it back to them right away and...they got the replacement parts early, fixed it and it is on its way. Since the repair seems rather extensive I want to make sure I am doing a thorough and end-to-end test of all the features.

Thank you for your input.

07-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If indeed they made that many changes when the problem you indicated would have been addressed by simply replacing the main circuit board, it tells us a few interesting and positive things: Ricoh and Precision are serious about getting the camera up to current specs; 2) As suspected, some aspects of the K-3 have been improved compared to initial release; 3) Nice that they returned it to you not fully repaired, but the fact that they put it back together not ready for proper use is just odd procedure - this is why most repair shops are unwilling to send out something until fully repaired.

As for checking on SR. The best procedure would be a longish lens (85-200 would work well) at relatively slow speeds shooting static subjects. Those speeds probably would be 1/30th or 1/60th. Going down to 1/10th tends to bring a lot of inconsistency into the equation - at least for most people.
07-09-2015, 05:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That makes sense, I'll try the longer focal lengths and faster shutter speeds. The clicking itself seems smooth as butter though, probably because the mechanism inside is all new.

In your first point, I assume you meant they fixed stuff that wasn't necessarily broken, just so they could get it to current specs? I thought it was because something might have broke either in their hands or during shipping, they found out the second time and fixed that as well. Unless you have known this happen to others?

What did you mean by "As suspected, some aspects of the K-3 have been improved compared to initial release" in your second point?

Also, when warranty repairs are done, do they replace parts with brand new ones, or reclaimed ones that are in working order?
07-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by realitarian Quote
That makes sense, I'll try the longer focal lengths and faster shutter speeds. The clicking itself seems smooth as butter though, probably because the mechanism inside is all new.

In your first point, I assume you meant they fixed stuff that wasn't necessarily broken, just so they could get it to current specs? I thought it was because something might have broke either in their hands or during shipping, they found out the second time and fixed that as well. Unless you have known this happen to others?

What did you mean by "As suspected, some aspects of the K-3 have been improved compared to initial release" in your second point?

Also, when warranty repairs are done, do they replace parts with brand new ones, or reclaimed ones that are in working order?
At a minimum, a change was made in hardware that limits and/or prevents the mirror flapping problem. There are some who have found that the delay in pTTL has been reduced greatly, while others insist nothing has improved. It does appear that the newer units might have considerably less latency, but that's very much speculative.

It would be surprising if there is anything other than new parts going into the warranty repairs. The cost of parts salvaging is generally higher than new parts production. That's even true with refurbished units - most of which are some form of demo unit that is cleaned up, tested (to a greater extent than production units), and packaged up like new.

07-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evaluate the camera as if you had just received it new. If anything is amiss, you will notice.

Steve
07-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great! I appreciate your insights.