Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 ii - is serial number on the box?

im looking at purchasing a new k-3 ii (grey import) for a great price (USD$1.4k with da 16-85 lens) but don't want to get a dud.

is it possible to check the serial number on the box itself? or is it only located on the camera?

08-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
im looking at purchasing a new k-3 ii (grey import) for a great price (USD$1.4k with da 16-85 lens) but don't want to get a dud.

is it possible to check the serial number on the box itself? or is it only located on the camera?
Only lens serial numbers are visible externally. But in the case of the K-3 II, the serial number card should be in a sleeve at the very top of the box (along with the manual and CD), so you can check the serial number without having to remove the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks adam!
08-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #4

I had to send back 2 with the affected serial numbers. The body only boxes had the serial number on the outside.

08-13-2015, 02:15 AM   #5

Just received my K3ii from a reputable store in Australia after emailing in regard to the serial numbers. I ordered a body only. Box arrived and it was obvious that it was a box that had previously had a body and kit lens included. Serial number on the box and warranty card identical and in the range of the recall numbers. However the camera's serial number inscribed on the base of the camera is outside the recall numbers. Discussed with retailer who advised that the camera was brand new stock from the Pentax distributor in Australia, but was not able to explain why the camera was sent in a different box. Still considering whether to ask for the original packaging to be sent as it does create difficulties down the track should I consider selling the camera with differing serial numbers on the box and the camera itself. How hard can it be to send the camera in the correct box ......

In response to the original post the serial number on the K3ii I received had the serial number on the base of the camera.
08-13-2015, 03:49 AM   #6

A bit sus getting an opened boxed camera with different numbers on each - was the shutter count on zero? My K-3ii is in the defective range but has not done anything wrong at all and I am a bit reluctant to have it pulled apart if it is not faulty. CR Kennedy says not all in the range are faulty and not to return it if it shows no problems. I still have 11 months to find a problem.
08-13-2015, 04:14 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by davido Quote
A bit sus getting an opened boxed camera with different numbers on each - was the shutter count on zero? My K-3ii is in the defective range but has not done anything wrong at all and I am a bit reluctant to have it pulled apart if it is not faulty. CR Kennedy says not all in the range are faulty and not to return it if it shows no problems. I still have 11 months to find a problem.
I agree a bit sus, but on checking the shutter count as you suggested, that is at least all good, manufacture date - 9th July 15 and shutter count 5, which are all mine. Interesting comment regarding CR Kennedy, I might give them a call as the warranty details/card in the box relate to a different serial number than the camera so I don't know how I will go if there is an issue with the camera down the track. The retailers attitude was more along the line that warranty registration isn't required these days. I am not sure that will stand up if I am required to make a warranty claim.

08-13-2015, 05:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just received my 4th and, hopefully final, K-3II. The serial number was on the box. This camera came from Prodigital2000 in Canada. The prior 3 were from Amazon sellers. All of the prior 3 worked flawlessly. I chickened out on the first one and returned it in hope of getting the acceptable SN. But what I got the next two times was obviously used cameras, each with a couple of hundred shots taken. In one case the original buyer had not even erased his copyright info and forgot to return the Flucard. None of this was the fault of Pentax, just sloppy Amazon return monitoring.

But what is really interesting (at least to me) is that the serial number on this camera is well above the suspect range but the manufacture date is a week before the last two from Amazon. They were manufactured in early June. This one at the end of May. People have said for years that SNs are not necessarily sequential with Pentax and that appears to be the case here.

The new camera has worked great and I am still happy I decided to add a K-3II to my K-3.

Last edited by Mikesul; 08-13-2015 at 02:07 PM.