Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #1

memory and user buttons on K-3- elect. level control?

When I set up on a tripod, I toggle my rear LCD to the status screen and adjust the exposure (I almost always use manual exposure). Then I hit the info button twice and cursor over to the electronic level to get the image set up straight. I then have to hit the info button two more times and then cursor over to the status screen to check exposure one last time before firing. What a cumbersome process!! I've looked at the U1,U2, U3 user modes but it doesn't seem to go into the status screen and electronic level automatically. Additionally it would be nice to substitute the RAW button to turn on the electronic screen and then turn it off. But that doesn't seem to be a program either.

I know I'm asking a pretty advanced question, and I hope someone out there has experienced this frustration themselves. Is there any work around to this, other than not using the electronic level and correcting in post processing later?

08-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I might be missing the point but couldn't you just press the live view button which gives you the electronic level?
08-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
When I set up on a tripod, I toggle my rear LCD to the status screen and adjust the exposure (I almost always use manual exposure). Then I hit the info button twice and cursor over to the electronic level to get the image set up straight. I then have to hit the info button two more times and then cursor over to the status screen to check exposure one last time before firing. What a cumbersome process!! I've looked at the U1,U2, U3 user modes but it doesn't seem to go into the status screen and electronic level automatically. Additionally it would be nice to substitute the RAW button to turn on the electronic screen and then turn it off. But that doesn't seem to be a program either.

I know I'm asking a pretty advanced question, and I hope someone out there has experienced this frustration themselves. Is there any work around to this, other than not using the electronic level and correcting in post processing later?
I'm confused as to why you are going exposure -> level -> exposure, when you already set the exposure? Why not skip the first one and set the level straight away, then adjust the exposure?
08-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, I believe it was an option in the K5 to set the RAW button to show the level. I miss having that option on the K3.

08-27-2015, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gosman Quote
it would be nice to substitute the RAW button to turn on the electronic screen and then turn it off.
Agree, I got My K-3II on Tuesday and was already looking for this on Wednesday. That floatover screen option makes it cumbersome to switch the screen off
08-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
Grimmis- I hardly use the live view, but I do see what you mean. I will start doing that in the field and see how it works. Enoseke, I always start with the exposure because I may not decide to take the shot and only need the level at the last moment. Also by coming back to the exposure mode, I'm then ready for my next shot. Often the light is changing rapidly too when I am on the tripod.

Looks like I'm not insane, other Pentax cameras have been able to dedicate one button for the level it looks like. I wonder what Nikon and Canon does for this?