Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

New K3, a few questions

Hi everyone,
i just bought a used K3, and i'm really happy with it so far, a big improvement over my old K10D.

There's a few things i don't understand, though.

1. In burst mode, the K3 can do 8 pictures per second. Very cool.
When i am in single frame mode, and i press the shutter button repeatedly as quickly as i can, the K3 does only about 2,5 pictures a second, much slower than i am able to do button presses. i would estimate i can do 4 to 5 actuations per second, only on about half of them, the camera doesn't react.
Am i missing something here? I was really hoping that upgrading would speed up my "manual bursts" that i often do in portrait shootings when the subject moves.

2. I have a 32GB card, empty. The camera claims i have capacity for 602 RAWs left.
But my calculations say i should have 998 RAWs left. (If you want to do the math yourself: My pc says the card has a capacity of 32.099.008.512 bytes. The average size of the RAWs i've shot so far is 32.138.240 bytes per RAW. The card's a "Kingston SDA3/32GB SDHC/SDXC 32GB Ultra High-Speed", UHS-I Class 3)
Any ideas?

3. I customized the RAW/Fx-Button to go into bracketing mode. I press it, the menu jumps to drive mode set to bracketing, great.
But how do i deactivate it? I would expect a second press of the RAW-Button would do that, but instead, it brings me to the same place of the menu. There, i have to press down 1x, left 4x and ok to get back to normal mode... is there a faster way that i am missing?

4. is there a fast way to delete all images or to format the card, without having to go into the menu? (i know of the method to multiselect in thumbnail view using the plus/minus-button)

Thank you for any help!
Bromberger

08-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. Does continuous shooting have high medium and low settings? I haven't tried this, but I remember seeing something along those lines.

2. Looking at my 32GB San Disk under the Right click-> Properties, it shows 31.902,400,512 bytes and to the right of that 29.7 GB. Data is measured differently in MB binary vs Windows etc. Why does my hard drive report less capacity than indicated on the drive's label? All hard drives show up as less than advertised. Not sure if this accounts for 300 less RAW images though...

3. I customized my RAW/FX button this same way and frequently hit it by accident while trying to press the button to adjust metering modes. I too wish it would change back upon second press. Sorry I can't help you.

4. I think the two methods you mentioned are the only recommended ones. You can of course format on the PC, but I don't think thats a good idea. You can set a menu option to remember your last menu postion (which is what I do) so that it returns to the format page everytime you press the menu button. Hope this helps.
08-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1. Rear button AF and AF.C...just keep it in burst mode. If you are in RAW+ that may slow things down too. It has to save the JPEG. Do you have lens correction turned on? That slows things down too.

2. You are shooting in RAW+. It is saving a JPEG too.

4. AFAIK the only way to delete all images is to hit the playback button then hit menu and Delete all images.
08-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hey Wissink

QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
Does continuous shooting have high medium and low settings?
Yes, i have set it to high. Not sure how that should affect singe frame shooting though.

Data is measured differently in MB binary vs Windows etc.
Yes that is why i posted the sizes in bytes, and also used those numbers in my calculations. So i should be fine, right?

Hope this helps.
Thank you!

08-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
When i am in single frame mode, and i press the shutter button repeatedly as quickly as i can, the K3 does only about 2,5 pictures a second, much slower than i am able to do button presses. [...] Am i missing something here?
Yes - the point.

QuoteQuote:
4. is there a fast way to delete all images or to format the card, without having to go into the menu?
No. I have to be honest here, apart from 3) all your questions are a bit ... pointless? We are talking about a camera here, not a Linux computer that can be customised into the smallest detail. Formatting a card is not exactly something that is done at a frequency that would require a direct access button. From turning on the camera to reaching and pressing the 'Format' button in the menu it takes me about 3 sec. And the point of the single frame mode is exactly that - to take a single frame. If you want to shoot several frames a second, there is a burst mode with three different speed settings. What is the point of a 'manual burst'?

If all the functions you are looking at had a direct access button, the back of your camera would look like a keyboard.
08-29-2015, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Hi there Boris,

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Rear button AF and AF.C
That's what i use. (ie pressing the shutter button does NOT activate AF, i don't want it to)

If you are in RAW+ that may slow things down too. It has to save the JPEG. Do you have lens correction turned on? That slows things down too.
I save RAW only, without any lens corrections.

just keep it in burst mode.
I think that's what i will have to do. I didn't want to, because sometimes when i want only a single frame i will hold the shutter button to long and i accidentally take 2-4 pictures... but i will get used to it :-)

Thank you!

---------- Post added 08-29-15 at 08:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I have to be honest here, apart from 3) all your questions are a bit ... pointless?
Hallo Mr Fox, it's ok that you find my questions pointless. But then you should look on the internet for something else to discuss that's less pointless to you, and maybe meanwhile some kind people here are going to help me. I wish you all the best!
08-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
4. is there a fast way to delete all images or to format the card, without having to go into the menu? (i know of the method to multiselect in thumbnail view using the plus/minus-button)
In play mode, press the menu button then press the up button and press okay to delete all images. That should delete all images.

08-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
In play mode, press the menu button then press the up button and press okay to delete all images. That should delete all images.
i'm afraid that doesn't work for me... Pressing the menu button in play mode brings up the menu.
08-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

i'm afraid that doesn't work for me... Pressing the menu button in play mode brings up the menu.
The play menu?
08-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #10

Original Poster
The play menu?
Ah, i see...!
No, it brought up the place where i was in the menu the last time.
BUT that's because i had Custom Function C24 activated, "Save Menu Location".
I have deactivated it now, and voila, when you press the menu button in play mode, it jumps to the play page in the menu!

Great! Thank you very much!
08-29-2015, 11:54 AM   #11

Ah, i see...!
No, it brought up the place where i was in the menu the last time.
BUT that's because i had Custom Function C24 activated, "Save Menu Location".
I have deactivated it now, and voila, when you press the menu button in play mode, it jumps to the play page in the menu!

Great! Thank you very much!
Yeah I had that custom option turned on too! I've just tried and I was like but then I remembered and turned it off!

You are most welcome

---------- Post added 08-29-15 at 12:08 PM ----------

No. I have to be honest here, apart from 3) all your questions are a bit ... pointless? We are talking about a camera here, not a Linux computer that can be customised into the smallest detail. Formatting a card is not exactly something that is done at a frequency that would require a direct access button. From turning on the camera to reaching and pressing the 'Format' button in the menu it takes me about 3 sec. And the point of the single frame mode is exactly that - to take a single frame. If you want to shoot several frames a second, there is a burst mode with three different speed settings. What is the point of a 'manual burst'?

If all the functions you are looking at had a direct access button, the back of your camera would look like a keyboard.
Actually there is a quick way to delete all photos as I've wrote above. However, it isn't the quickest. In older Pentax models you just had to press the trash can button twice under play mode to delete all photos. Pentax has moved it for some reason. It just makes since to have the trash can button do it. They can simply add delete all photos under delete JPG and delete RAW. That doesn't add any complications but rather improves the UI.
08-29-2015, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Banned

is there a fast way to delete all images or to format the card, without having to go into the menu? (i know of the method to multiselect in thumbnail view using the plus/minus-button)

In playback mode, spin the rear e-dial left until you see one folder, then hit the trash can to delete the folder and all the photos in it.
08-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
In playback mode, spin the rear e-dial left until you see one folder, then hit the trash can to delete the folder and all the photos in it.
awesome!! thanks!
08-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

They can simply add delete all photos under delete JPG and delete RAW. That doesn't add any complications but rather improves the UI.
And then someone who just wants to delete one image hits it accidentally - boom, all pictures gone
08-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #15

And then someone who just wants to delete one image hits it accidentally - boom, all pictures gone
There is always a confirmation even when you select delete all photos from the menu.