Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2015, 01:13 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon shooter praises Pentax K3

First, I don't want this to be one of those my camera is better than your camera threads but just an observation on the quality the K3 can produce.

One of my shooting partners had an event coming up and was debating on needing a backup for it. She shoots with a Canon 70D, Sigma 24-70 2.8 and a 18-270. We've shot multiple events before in the past and generally had a blast shooting great images for the customers. Recently she has had a couple of portrait and events she was shooting that were for some really nice clients. She was worried that her camera wasn't best suited for the event. She asked to borrow my K3 with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and Sigma 17-70C to compliment her on the shoot. Since that first shoot she's borrowed my kit about 3 times to do events and everyone just loves the colors and quality of the images. On the last event I think she only used her camera for two shots. The rest were with mines. Everyone raved about how vibrant and rich the colors were. The exposure was spot on!

I have noticed that since I upgraded from the K5 to the K3 the Tamron 70-200 focuses a lot faster and I'm getting more in focus shots than misses. I really like that combo for portraits. My partner has hinted that she is thinking about getting a new backup camera and I think it's going to be a Pentax. She really got excited when I told her about the upcoming full frame (whenever that happens) She has constantly mentioned that her camera doesn't produce images as rich as hers and that she spends a lot of time editing her pictures in Photoshop and used very little editing when shooting with the Pentax.

I guess I just wanted to say that it's nice when someone else recognizes the quality that Pentax can produce. Pentax really needs to work on their advertising and marketing!

11-25-2015, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Nice comments. Thanks for sharing.
11-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice...
11-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to hear stories like that once in awhile

11-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite aside from one brand vs another, it is good to hear of the step up from the K5 to K3. The K5 is a great camera, but its focusing limitations can be a source of frustration, and with some lenses it does seem to disappoint. I'm not sure if or when I might upgrade, but at least I have something to look forward to if I get the chance.
11-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raw or JPG ?
11-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
Raw or JPG ?
We shot RAW and jpeg

11-25-2015, 08:05 PM   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
First, I don't want this to be one of those my camera is better than your camera threads but just an observation on the quality the K3 can produce.

One of my shooting partners had an event coming up and was debating on needing a backup for it. She shoots with a Canon 70D, Sigma 24-70 2.8 and a 18-270. We've shot multiple events before in the past and generally had a blast shooting great images for the customers. Recently she has had a couple of portrait and events she was shooting that were for some really nice clients. She was worried that her camera wasn't best suited for the event. She asked to borrow my K3 with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and Sigma 17-70C to compliment her on the shoot. Since that first shoot she's borrowed my kit about 3 times to do events and everyone just loves the colors and quality of the images. On the last event I think she only used her camera for two shots. The rest were with mines. Everyone raved about how vibrant and rich the colors were. The exposure was spot on!

I have noticed that since I upgraded from the K5 to the K3 the Tamron 70-200 focuses a lot faster and I'm getting more in focus shots than misses. I really like that combo for portraits. My partner has hinted that she is thinking about getting a new backup camera and I think it's going to be a Pentax. She really got excited when I told her about the upcoming full frame (whenever that happens) She has constantly mentioned that her camera doesn't produce images as rich as hers and that she spends a lot of time editing her pictures in Photoshop and used very little editing when shooting with the Pentax.

I guess I just wanted to say that it's nice when someone else recognizes the quality that Pentax can produce. Pentax really needs to work on their advertising and marketing!
Interesting, because I have had a lot of the same comments ever since my K10D - now a K5IIs - with the custom image always set at "Bright"...
11-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Go Pentax!
11-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
i love Pentax so much I sold my Canon, then bought 2 K5iis, 1 K5ii. and now I need to sell two of them to get a K3
11-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That's good to hear. Hopefully with the advent of full-frame, the wedding photographers will pick up some pentaxes too.
11-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Since that first shoot she's borrowed my kit about 3 times to do events and everyone just loves the colors and quality of the images. On the last event I think she only used her camera for two shots. The rest were with mines. Everyone raved about how vibrant and rich the colors were. The exposure was spot on!
Imagine what she'd say if she tried the K-3 with the FA 77.
11-25-2015, 09:59 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In related news, heavy fur-lined parkas were just delivered to the Devil...
11-25-2015, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very droll, @luftluss.

Look at it this way. The same day pro Canon shooters switch to Pentax, hell freezes over, and everyone is glad to have a Pentax with a WR lens to record it.

Last edited by Des; 11-26-2015 at 01:01 AM.
11-26-2015, 12:32 AM   #15

Great stuff... Would like to see more of this kind of experiences...people just have to try Pentax. Not being sponsored, daring for 'likes', simply using it and viewing results...