Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

K3_New Sigma 8-16mm-Is It A Keeper?

I have a new K3 and a K10D and recently purchased a "new" Sigma 8-16mm lens through Amazon and it is being sent from Japan and will arrive in early March. I would appreciate any suggestions from those who have the lens and those knowledgable about testing a lens for problems to share with me some ideas I should consider to determine if the lens is "new" and that it is functioning as it should under various shooting scenarios. In other words to determine if the lens is a keeper or should be returned.

Thank you in advance for your input!!

02-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think that you will have to make any particular test. If it looks new and feels right (zoom has the right feel and autofocus is snappy), it probably is OK. If it looks like a duck and quakes like a duck...
02-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I don't think that you will have to make any particular test. If it looks new and feels right (zoom has the right feel and autofocus is snappy), it probably is OK. If it looks like a duck and quakes like a duck...
Bengan, Amen! I was just wondering if there were any pecularities with this lens in particular since it is a super wide angle that if one is not familiar with it could draw incorrect assumptions and think there is a problem where there is none, or suggested types of shots that would indicate that all aspects are functioning properly. Thanks for your feedback.
02-05-2016, 02:03 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whether new or used this is what I do:
  1. Examine the lens carefully for marks, signs of damage, fungus, scratches etc.
  2. Check operation by moving zoom and aperture rings, check the aperture lever, make sure the aperture is "snappy" when the lever is released
  3. Mount on camera and check for connectivity, assuming it is an 'A' lens the camera should be able to control the aperture
  4. Take a few test shots at different apertures to see if the lens is stopping down properly
  5. Mount camera on a tripod and focus manually on a well lit test target. Camera must be precise aligned with the target. Use level and plumb bob or the camera on board level
  6. Take test shots to verify the lens is sharp across the frame. If in doubt, rotate the camera 90 degrees to vertical and repeat
  7. Run through standard AF test using both phase detect and contrast detect systems. Adjust AF fine tuning if required.
  8. Take some test shots and develop fully in Lightroom

02-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Whether new or used this is what I do:
  1. Examine the lens carefully for marks, signs of damage, fungus, scratches etc.
  2. Check operation by moving zoom and aperture rings, check the aperture lever, make sure the aperture is "snappy" when the lever is released
  3. Mount on camera and check for connectivity, assuming it is an 'A' lens the camera should be able to control the aperture
  4. Take a few test shots at different apertures to see if the lens is stopping down properly
  5. Mount camera on a tripod and focus manually on a well lit test target. Camera must be precise aligned with the target. Use level and plumb bob or the camera on board level
  6. Take test shots to verify the lens is sharp across the frame. If in doubt, rotate the camera 90 degrees to vertical and repeat
  7. Run through standard AF test using both phase detect and contrast detect systems. Adjust AF fine tuning if required.
  8. Take some test shots and develop fully in Lightroom
Thank you, Jatrax, your response is very thorough and what I was hoping to receive from a fellow forum member. I will do as you suggested and thanks again for your input!!
02-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I received a brand spanking new 8-16 and it was not sharp. I was leaving on a business trip, where I was going to use it to shoot after hours and I needed it to be spot on. I slid in a -10 unit correction in the fine tuning - got a bit better, but I still felt it was not there. CRIS is the Sigma authorized warranty repair center, so I took it there and dropped it off (and they asked to have the body too). It turns out that it needed 45 units of focus adjustment, and they set it up on their optical bench.

02-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I received a brand spanking new 8-16 and it was not sharp. I was leaving on a business trip, where I was going to use it to shoot after hours and I needed it to be spot on. I slid in a -10 unit correction in the fine tuning - got a bit better, but I still felt it was not there. CRIS is the Sigma authorized warranty repair center, so I took it there and dropped it off (and they asked to have the body too). It turns out that it needed 45 units of focus adjustment, and they set it up on their optical bench.

Thank you for your response; this is the type of information I hoped to receive and what was done to correct the problem if one is detected. What model camera do you have? Was there any explanation of why the focus needed such a large adjustment. I know with Sigma lenses they can be rather sensitive and if they are bumped or accidentally hit that it can throw the focus off; maybe there was some serious jolts during the shipping process. Hopefully mine will work properly out of the box, but if there is a problem that there are avenues to be pursued rather than just sending it back. Thank you again for your feedback!!

02-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRCDH Quote
Thank you for your response; this is the type of information I hoped to receive and what was done to correct the problem if one is detected. What model camera do you have? Was there any explanation of why the focus needed such a large adjustment. I know with Sigma lenses they can be rather sensitive and if they are bumped or accidentally hit that it can throw the focus off; maybe there was some serious jolts during the shipping process. Hopefully mine will work properly out of the box, but if there is a problem that there are avenues to be pursued rather than just sending it back. Thank you again for your feedback!!
Hi, well here is the entire story - blow by blow....At the time, I was using a K5. I now have a K5IIs. I have drug the 8-16 across country on business trips during the last 4 years probably in excess of 25 times. I have been reasonably careful, using a padded camera backpack, and it is still in perfect shape. CRIS worked on the lens (but they were also the Pentax warranty depot at the time, so they knew Pentax camera bodies). The lens made the transition across the K5 to the K5IIs perfectly fine.

As to why it required so much correction. CRIS really offered no specific comments as to why. I have always had good luck with CRIS and warranty repairs, other than possibly having to wait for parts from Japan.

Also, you may be interested in this other thread.....
02-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

I responded to your comment and did not notice that you are from AZ. I tried to find Tumbleweed but the only references were those for Tempe; your photos are Valley based so I assume you are in the Phoenix area. I take it that the Sigma repair center you mentioned is in the Phoenix area. I will have to look that up for future reference. Have you visited Butterfly Wonderland to photograph the large selection of butterflies that are flying freely around the enclosure? Adam (the forum webmaster) and his father joined a group of us a number of weeks ago and it was an interesting shoot. Thanks again for your feedback and I will post some photos from the 8-16mm once it arrives and I have a chance to get it in my comfort zone.
02-05-2016, 04:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRCDH Quote
I responded to your comment and did not notice that you are from AZ. I tried to find Tumbleweed but the only references were those for Tempe; your photos are Valley based so I assume you are in the Phoenix area. I take it that the Sigma repair center you mentioned is in the Phoenix area. I will have to look that up for future reference. Have you visited Butterfly Wonderland to photograph the large selection of butterflies that are flying freely around the enclosure? Adam (the forum webmaster) and his father joined a group of us a number of weeks ago and it was an interesting shoot. Thanks again for your feedback and I will post some photos from the 8-16mm once it arrives and I have a chance to get it in my comfort zone.
Yes, I'm in the Valley of the Sun. If my present neighbors knew I referred to the town as Tumbleweed - they would tar and feather me.

I was one of 20 unindicted co-conspirators (neighbors) for tossing a $20 dollar bill into a hat for a contribution for another neighbor to run for town council. All because the town wanted to lower the road bed of one of the main streets by 20 feet to make it a flood control channel during summer monsoons (can you imagine 20 foot high curbs). The 80 year old grandmother lost by a few votes, but it infuriated the town council so much, that they went out and hired a special prosecutor to charge her and the rest of us - all because she did not deposit the $400 in a special political fund checking account to pay for her flyers. It went to court, where the Judge said he was going to go to lunch and expected everything to be resolved by the time he returned. After lunch, he wanted to know how things stood. The special prosecutor replied that he wanted to go forward with the trial - where upon the Judge asked if he brought his toothbrush with him. The case was immediately dismissed.

No, I have not visited Butterfly Wonderland - I saw that they were building it, but I didn't know that it was open, yet. I need to go - and also to MIM - the Musical Instrument Museum. There are a lot of things I want to do.....

The lens is one of my favorites.