Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2016, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #1

Re-entry to SLR cameras

Finally I got the funds re-enter inter-changeable lens photography. Obvious choice was Pentax as I own several K and M42 lenses from film cameras. I am exited to try Carl Zeiss Jena 2.8/180 on K-3. I have been using small prosumer point and shoot cameras last 12 years, currently Canon G12. K-3 with Sigma DC Macro 17-70 arrived 2 weeks ago. What would you recommend for small size protective case for K-3 with Sigma lens? I haven't seen any Pentax specific cases, would any Nikon/Canon DSLR case do? I need something compact when I am travelling with motorcycle and the camera needs to fit in the tank bag.

Attached Images

02-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums! That's a nice collection already. Be careful with that flash, though. I don't recognise it, but some older flashes have a high trigger voltage that might harm modern cameras. Check it before you use it.

Can't really help you with bags, but I would think something made for the low-end Canon/Nikon models should fit fairly well in size.
02-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 851korho Quote
would any Nikon/Canon DSLR case do
Unfortunately those will not work. A Pentax camera will melt down into a blob of embarrassed sludge if you put it into a Canon or Nikon bag. I've been told if you put it into a Sony bag there is a change of spontaneous combustion.

More seriously what type of bag are you looking for? Backpack, sling, shoulder, or holster? It depends on what you want to carry along with the camera. Go to the Lowepro site and use their bag selector to get an idea of what is available. I use a Lowepro sling bag 200AW.
02-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
Bag

Thanks jatrax for Lowenpro suggestion.

02-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
When I want to carry a single camera with lens in a small case, I use a Lowepro Toploader Pro 65 AW. It handily carries my K3ii (or K20d) with grip, a DA 18-250mm (with hood), or DA* 16-50mm (hood reversed) or any of my short primes. What I really like about this case is it has a waist strap, and a rain hood that pops out of the bottom and covers the entire thing, keeping it bone dry in a rainstorm. I've had it for years and it still looks new.
02-08-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The flash looks like an older Vivitar Auto-Thyristor. Probably not safe to use. check the trigger voltage...
02-08-2016, 02:05 PM   #7
Forum Member

Pretty sure that is a Vivitar 285. Those were a mixed bag as far as trigger voltage goes. They changed the design part way through the production run, so some have a high trigger voltage and some low. You can only know for sure by testing with a voltmeter. Has to be under about 30 volts to be safe.

02-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a nice little Tamrac bag which can fit a camera with long lens, and a second lens or flash. Have a look at their site, it's a nice system.
02-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
Flash

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The flash looks like an older Vivitar Auto-Thyristor. Probably not safe to use. check the trigger voltage...
You are correct, this is the stuff I found in my old camera bags. Vivitar is toast, does not even power up.

---------- Post added 02-08-16 at 02:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I have a nice little Tamrac bag which can fit a camera with long lens, and a second lens or flash. Have a look at their site, it's a nice system.
Thanks, Tamrac has some nice options.
02-08-2016, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Measure your tank bag and get the dimensions so you don't get anything to big, but sound like you are looking for something like a holster for one lens anyway.. There are a lot of good bags out there, if you can get to a large camera store you may be able to see them in person. But there aren't a lot of those stores. You might go online to B&H and Adorama to see if anything looks interesting and then ask specifics here. Also watch the Pentax Price Watch here on the forums, occasionally some great deals on bags come up.

Last edited by ramseybuckeye; 02-08-2016 at 08:05 PM.
02-08-2016, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I have a Lowepro Adventura 170. It has adjustable insides, compartments, and a variety of pockets. It is also well padded and nice looking.

Amazon.com : Lowepro Adventura 170 Camera Shoulder Bag for DSLR or Camcorder : Lowepro Rezo : Camera & Photo
02-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #12

Original Poster
Camera wrap

I think I found a perfect solution: a 15" square camera wrap. http://www.amazon.com/Protective-Indigo-Protects-Electronic-Equipment/dp/B00...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Attached Images

02-10-2016, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #13

+1 on the Tamrac bags. I have the Aria6 and it's great. You may be able to go with a smaller Aria. Or what about a neoprene wrap instead of a case?