Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2016, 05:50 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
annoying work with2nd curtain flash

Hello,

I have one question. I came from fully flash manual Oly system, where I was having full customizable Flash in Manual mode.

In Pentax K3, I have to choose between TV, TAV , SV, or AV mode if I want to use Rear or 2nd curtain Flash.

Why is this function disabled or non-exist in Manual mode ?

I dont want my camera to do AUTO - well, anything.

Hope, somehow somebody will add this feature in Manual settings in next firmwares... With which purpose it came disabled for this ? What would happen if there is an option for that in Manual menu. Don't get it

Last edited by panonski; 02-11-2016 at 05:55 AM.
02-11-2016, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Was your shutter speed set higher than 1/90?
02-11-2016, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is weird. I have no problem with it in manual. As Oldbayrunner said shutter speed has to be 1/90 or slower, but even if your shutter is faster when activating flash it switches to 1/90. (just tried it)
02-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oh, I can see it right now....

Thread can be closed, thank you all

02-12-2016, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

The main requirement that I'm aware of regrading 2nd Curtain Sync, is that the Flash Mode needs to be P-TTL (ie it doesn't work with 'Auto' or Manual Flash Modes). This applies to the flashguns and also the built-in flashes .... however, of course recently we have gained Manual flash modes on some of the built-in flashes. It would be really interesting to know if the K3 built-in flash allows 2nd Curtain Sync in its manual modes ... ?

I suppose the 1/90th limitation is not really a problem as most of these types of 2nd curtain effects would only be noticeable at longer exposure times .... ?
02-12-2016, 03:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The main requirement that I'm aware of regrading 2nd Curtain Sync, is that the Flash Mode needs to be P-TTL (ie it doesn't work with 'Auto' or Manual Flash Modes). This applies to the flashguns and also the built-in flashes .... however, of course recently we have gained Manual flash modes on some of the built-in flashes. It would be really interesting to know if the K3 built-in flash allows 2nd Curtain Sync in its manual modes ... ?
Well, for the last, and manual power settings in 2nd curtain ( Pentax call it Rear Curtain ) I notice there is different style of power flash settings in menu.
It is from -2,0 to 1,0, and I believe this is for flash power, or maybe exposure on final picture.

There is no classic customizable power scale settings for built in flash unit, like in manual power mode ( 1/128 - 1/1 ) ,
in Rear curtain flash mode, there is just some kind of simplified -2.0 - 1.0

I didn't put on hot shoe and try any external flash,
I just wanted to try out how the built in flash works in these mode.

QuoteQuote:

I suppose the 1/90th limitation is not really a problem as most of these types of 2nd curtain effects would only be noticeable at longer exposure times .... ?

Something like that, because effect of 2nd curtain, is visible almost only in slower speeds, or maybe it will be visible, when you will be shooting something really fast.
Then there would be limitation for this scenario
02-12-2016, 03:52 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

The K3 has two manual power settings I think ....(I don't own one) .... these are accessed in the Flash Modes control panel. The flash button on the 4-way controller will open this. Here you will see a range of Flash Modes (auto, red-eye, Rear Curtain, Wireless etc) and also two manual settings. Thinking about it now, clearly there's no way to have both Rear Curtain and manual selected at the same time, so I guess that answers the question !

The -1.0, -2.0 etc are Flash Compensation settings and they apply to P-TTL flash mode where it controls the brightness, in 'stops'. They will not be there in the manual modes as Flash Compensation does not apply in manual.

02-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yes, there is must be true in your words.... But I still can't figure it out why is manual discharge power from flash completely disabled, in Rear Curtain.

For me, it's kind of nonsense, because, nothing will be happened if you will do minimal, or full flash discharge in your picture.

I just hate when someone decide what will be good for my picture..

If I'm going to burn it, or underxposed it, let me do it...
02-12-2016, 08:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
yes, there is must be true in your words.... But I still can't figure it out why is manual discharge power from flash completely disabled, in Rear Curtain.

For me, it's kind of nonsense, because, nothing will be happened if you will do minimal, or full flash discharge in your picture.

I just hate when someone decide what will be good for my picture..

If I'm going to burn it, or underxposed it, let me do it...
You can still under and over expose with the flash, you just have to do it via flash exposure compensation. as you said, -2 stops under exposed up to 1 stop over exposed seems to be the limits.

The problem with manual flash is, it doesn't communicate with the camera. It just does its own thing. But to use 2nd curtain, you need to communicate with the camera to figure out when that perfect time is. So, you have to be in use P-TTL. I expect this is the same for every manufacturer.
02-12-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
It just does its own thing. But to use 2nd curtain, you need to communicate with the camera to figure out when that perfect time is....

I still don't see the reason of removing manual settings in classic form 1-128

Either way, I'm glad I can use it from now on
02-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
I still don't see the reason of removing manual settings in classic form 1-128

Either way, I'm glad I can use it from now on
Those exist when the flash is in manual mode
02-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian