Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
k3 firmware upgrade problems

I have been trying for the last hour or so to get my k3 firmware update....have used 4 different brands of cards...file seems to download and copy to my card, but when I insert into camera, press menu and turn it on...it doesn't seem to show up at all.my version is 1.1
haven't seen reference to this as an issue, so I am not sure how to proceed...though none of the updates are particularly relevant to my use of the camera still, keeping it updated is something I prefer to do. any suggestions?

05-01-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tandrew Quote
I have been trying for the last hour or so to get my k3 firmware update....have used 4 different brands of cards...file seems to download and copy to my card, but when I insert into camera, press menu and turn it on...it doesn't seem to show up at all.my version is 1.1
haven't seen reference to this as an issue, so I am not sure how to proceed...though none of the updates are particularly relevant to my use of the camera still, keeping it updated is something I prefer to do. any suggestions?
v1.21 is the latest firmware update for the K3. Here's a video on how to update the firmware.
05-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

Check the "usual suspects". Make sure the expanded firmware file is at the top level of the card. Check that the file name wasn't changed when expanded on your computer (e.g. an added "1", "2", "copy", etc.). The card must be in slot 1 of the camera. That is just off the top of my head. There are other threads with a lot more detail.
05-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tandrew Quote
Make sure the firmware .BIN file (not the zip) is in the root of the card, NOT in the DCIM folder or any other folder.

Also, try going in to the camera's firmware menu to see if the new firmware file is detected.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Having done it for an hour, stop now and recharge the battery before continuing!
If the battery goes flat half way through, you will have an expensive brick.
05-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
Forum Member

Did you manage to update the camera successfully?
05-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for asking and I apologize to everyone, I thought I had posted the following response: "finally got it, problem was that the computer was adding a number to the downloaded file, I still had the original 1.11 upgrade file in my downloads. deleted all previous firmware upgrades from computer and downloaded new one and it worked fine. ...so relieved I didn't end up with an expensive brick...but then a ruined k3 might have necessitated being replaced by a k1 thanks again for your suggestions and help."

05-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #8
Forum Member

I am happy for you. I bricked my K-7 two years ago when I attempted an upgrade so that s why I asked how it when for you. My k-7 is still dead, I have a K-3 now with stock firmware 1.11. Have you noticed any improvements after upgrading?
05-08-2016, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Radeon,
Sorry to hear about the K-7. the main reason I upgraded was that I have had a few problems the last few times I used my K3 when auto focus would stop working..it only seemed to happen with a few lenses...my pentax 16-50 and a sigma 24mm...other lenses would continue to work fine...i don't know if maybe it was because the camera got overheated..after a while I could put those lenses on and they would work again. at any rate, I thought the upgrade wouldn't hurt. when I read what the upgrade was intended to do it didn't seem applicable, but I went ahead with it....the upgrade thing, both for camera and computer, has always baffled me a little...I haven't returned to the shooting conditions that initiated my concern but will be doing the same gig next sunday..This has been the long answer..the short answer is: no, I haven't noticed any improvements. It would be interesting to hear from those with more technical knowledge about whether or not the camera should always be upgraded as a matter of principle, or only when something might be going wrong.
07-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Make sure the firmware .BIN file (not the zip) is in the root of the card, NOT in the DCIM folder or any other folder.

Also, try going in to the camera's firmware menu to see if the new firmware file is detected.
what is the "root" of the card?
07-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FLkrakr Quote
what is the "root" of the card?
The main directory outside any folders.