Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Black Cats

An article in my newspaper yesterday claimed that the RSPCA have more trouble re-homing black cats because they don't photograph well. I've never photographed a cat, black or otherwise, so it set me wondering. Is it really difficult to get an appealing photo of a black cat?

07-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by velvia Quote
Is it really difficult to get an appealing photo of a black cat?
Yes, it is. I have a black Maine Coon. It's hard to get a picture that is anything more than a silhouette with eyes.
07-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try to photo crows or ravens........unless they sit perfect in their lighting, they are a challenge due to the limited contrast. I'd expect a black cat to be similar.
07-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It can be but it's not impossible if you know how to use your light. I've had black cats all my life, and pure white ones. They both pose their challenges in terms of that but I've gotten plenty of photos of them all anyway. Most black cats their fur actually isn't just coal black. It's actually a mix of dark brown, black, red, sometimes a bit of gray or white. Underneath many even have tabby markings and you can see that if you light them well. I usually try to get them back lit against a window or a lamp. Light that is up and to the right or down and to the left seems to help a lot. I will often use a spotlight or a reflector from the bottom left. Think of doing it like you would a portrait of a dark skinned person.

07-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They need to upgrade their mobile phone/tablet or other sub standard device to a pentax SLR with one of the better lenses. Then use lightroom. Good light helps if the the gear isn't perfect, but with a good setup I get good shots of crows etc. With one of the lesser lenses I need flash. eg Sigma 500 prime great with no flash sigma 50-500 needs the flash.
07-31-2014, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Most black cats their fur actually isn't just coal black. It's actually a mix of dark brown, black, red, sometimes a bit of gray or white. Underneath many even have tabby markings and you can see that if you light them well.
Exactly.

I have a young black tabby (as I call her) and get some lovely photos of her which show up her underlying stripes and red tinge.
Under the black her fur is light gray as you can see here on her belly where she was shaved for her 'operation'..

Depending on the light, I get some lovely photos of her. But it's true, I've heard animal shelter places say they have trouble rehoming black kittens because they aren't so cute. I think there's nothing quite like a black cat with bright yellow or green eyes. Beautiful
07-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, black cats are unfortunately very hard to adopt out and photograph. Most people also live by the black cat stereotypes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, it is. I have a black Maine Coon. It's hard to get a picture that is anything more than a silhouette with eyes.
My Tortie Maine Coon is near impossible to photograph. But my Silver Tabby Maine Coon is perfectly photogenic.

08-01-2014, 01:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a black and white cat and he's really hard to shoot due to the need to not blow the white areas and try to pull some form out of the darks.
08-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #9

Our black cat was really very dark brown.... with light colored skin underneath. But you could only see that light colored skin in one little "target" spot... not exactly a good portrait angle. ;-)
08-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by velvia Quote
An article in my newspaper yesterday claimed that the RSPCA have more trouble re-homing black cats because they don't photograph well. I've never photographed a cat, black or otherwise, so it set me wondering. Is it really difficult to get an appealing photo of a black cat?

I read that too here (not sure if it was the same news website you saw)
RSPCA: Blacks cats being abandoned for not taking good selfies | Western Daily Press
apparently lots of owners of black cats have since disputed this.

Should mention I dont have a cat but was on that newspaper website reading the much more interesting related article about a nature photographer's work.
Photo shows what looks like a giant in the sky | Western Daily Press