Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Point & Shoot Lost - Need to Replace

My son borrowed our P&S Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4 and lost it this weekend. He's offered to replace it and while we didn't use the camera at every opportunity, it was nice to have it available. To be honest, my wife didn't love the camera because the menu system was quite overwhelming (even I didn't dive into all the programmed stuff it offered). We usually used it as a P&S and some video. My wife wants something that's easy, takes nice pics, and isn't complicated. Whatever we buy she would use mostly in AUTO and Video. I was wondering about the Q10 on Adorama's site for $179 (red body with standard lens). My thinking is it would be easy enough for her, but it's a little more than a P&S so when I'm using it I can take advantage of the advanced options (beyond Auto Mode).

It's not that I'm against a P&S, it just needs to be easy to use and I'd like to keep the price under $200. Any advice.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 09-01-2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added text.
09-01-2014, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the proper forum. GT is not the place to talk about photography and/or cameras.
09-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can't comment on the q10 (because mine arrives tomorrow!), but I'd throw the pentax mx-1 out there as a possible option.

The image quality is a step up from the q series, and the lens has a rather groovy macro mode (and will do a better job in lowlight that the 5-15 zoom for the q).

The only real reason I picked up a q10 is because I've got a bunch of old 110 and k-mount lenses I can use on it. If I didn't have those, I'd have gone for the mx-1 myself....
09-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The mx-1 is a good option, but is more than I wanted to spend.

09-01-2014, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

While I love my Q as a mini DSLR I think many people would not consider it a good point and shoot camera. A good point and shoot camera should have a sharp screen, a retractable lens, and a large-ish zoom range. The screen on my Q is rather low resolution but all I need it for is framing, viewing the histogram, and focus peaking. Other people use it to actually look at and share views with their friends. None of the lenses are retractable. Add a hood and there is some serious protrusion. The standard zoom lens is only 3x. Many people expect more than that.

On the plus side, if you set it to auto with some basic contrast, color, etc sliders preconfigured then you can go to town on it.
09-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

So just got my q10. It seems quite cute, although I'm not impressed with the lens (but then I hate zooms in general, and I have come from an slr with lots of expensive glass, so read into that what you will). I have a feeling that a circular polarising filter would hide the worst of the problems though.

It's simple to use, and the bundled silky pix software is a nicer editing proposition than the pentax camera utility! Switch the camera to raw, and edit away. I can't seem to find any shadow/highlight controls in silky pix though, which seems a bit odd, but otherwise it's one of the nicer editing options I've seen packaged with a camera.

My lens adapters have yet to arrive, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like for extreme telephoto with k mount lenses! I'm also looking forward to seeing what a prime lens does to the image quality (which I suspect will be quite a lot!)

I'd still say the mx-1 is a better option simply due to the quality of the lens (or one of the original q's with 8.5mm lens second hand), but the build quality on the q10 is pretty good - it's just let down somewhat by the 5-15mm zoom IMHO (which is holding the camera back a little bit I feel).