09-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Luminous Landscape - Photokina Recap

Photokina 2014 Wrap-Up

Photokina - Days 2 & 3

09-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Re: Photokina 2014 Wrap-Up
Fun chat. But not a single mention of Pentax/Ricoh.. Sigh..
09-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Re: Photokina 2014 Wrap-Up
Fun chat. But not a single mention of Pentax/Ricoh.. Sigh..
Pentax is in good company, as the hottest trends in photography-smartphones, POVs, and drones-received nary a mention. This was a pretty blatant rearguard action, a harkening back to the golden age, and those companies that play to that nostalgic, greying crowd-Fuji, Olympus, Leica-got the most attention.

Last edited by johnmflores; 09-22-2014 at 09:40 PM.
09-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Pentax is in good company, as the hottest trends in photography-smartphones, POVs, and drones-received nary a mention. This was a pretty blatant rearguard action, a harkening back to the golden age, and those companies that play to that nostalgic, greying crowd-Fuji, Olympus, Leica-got the most attention.
I doubt that. Michael Reichmann just bought a Pentax 645z and 4 or 5 lenses. He posts in this forum from time to time and did a good review of the 645z over on Luminous Landscape.

Pentax isn't a company. Its a label and it harks back to the "golden age" just like Olympus, Fuji, & Leica.
Leica got a lot of attention because they took up an entire hall by themselves and filled it with mostly photography, and just a few years ago Leica was practically dead. They have made a nice comeback.
Fuji had 3 new bodies and 5 new lenses on display and also took up an entire hall. They are one of the most innovative, and fastest moving camera companies at the show.
They only mentioned Olympus to talk about the one new lens they were rolling out and talked more about the Samsung NX-1 than Olympus.

If they were playing to the nostalgic, greying crowd they would have been talking about Nikon, Canon, and people stuck on K-mount for the last 50 years. They said very little about any traditional DSLR manufacturer and that included Canon & Nikon. Not a single comment about the Nikon Df which is specifically targeting the nostalgic, greying crowd. They only talked about companies that are leading the way with innovation, which right now is mirrorless. No. They didn't talk about smartphones, or watches, or drones, or a thousand other possible electronic devices that were shown. That's not what they are about.

The Mirrorless Revolution

If Ricoh had released something they were interested in, they would have talked about it.

09-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The background noise is really annoying.
09-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I doubt that. Michael Reichmann just bought a Pentax 645z and 4 or 5 lenses. He posts in this forum from time to time and did a good review of the 645z over on Luminous Landscape.

Pentax isn't a company. Its a label and it harks back to the "golden age" just like Olympus, Fuji, & Leica.
Leica got a lot of attention because they took up an entire hall by themselves and filled it with mostly photography, and just a few years ago Leica was practically dead. They have made a nice comeback.
Fuji had 3 new bodies and 5 new lenses on display and also took up an entire hall. They are one of the most innovative, and fastest moving camera companies at the show.
They only mentioned Olympus to talk about the one new lens they were rolling out and talked more about the Samsung NX-1 than Olympus.

If they were playing to the nostalgic, greying crowd they would have been talking about Nikon, Canon, and people stuck on K-mount for the last 50 years. They said very little about any traditional DSLR manufacturer and that included Canon & Nikon. Not a single comment about the Nikon Df which is specifically targeting the nostalgic, greying crowd. They only talked about companies that are leading the way with innovation, which right now is mirrorless. No. They didn't talk about smartphones, or watches, or drones, or a thousand other possible electronic devices that were shown. That's not what they are about.

The Mirrorless Revolution

If Ricoh had released something they were interested in, they would have talked about it.
I know that he likes the 645Z. But it wasn't announced at Photokina so it doesn't get a mention. Likewise the DF. And the D750 and 7DII don't get a mention because they're evolutions, not revolutions.

The point that I'm trying to make, perhaps poorly, is that these guys focused on the cameras that permit them to take the same kinds of photos that they've likely been taking for 40+ years - landscapes, nature, street, etc…And that's all well and good and the new cameras let them do that better (incrementally) while at the same time harkening back to their youth (NX-1 excepted). K-S1 doesn't have that combination so it doesn't get a mention. XT-1 Graphite, with no new technology, gives them a woodie, so it does.

But outside of the traditional genres, photography is going in all different directions. First Person/POV, video, drones, etc. There offhand dismissal of the drones show very clearly where there interests lie. And that's ok.

But there are other stories about Photokina and where photography is moving. There are other blogs out there coming back from Photokina and reporting about all the new gear that will help those pushing those new genres forward.
09-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

What a couple of knobs.

09-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
What a couple of knobs
Your technical terms are just a joy.
09-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

GoPro IS now

But outside of the traditional genres, photography is going in all different directions. First Person/POV, video, drones, etc. There offhand dismissal of the drones show very clearly where there interests lie. And that's ok.

But there are other stories about Photokina and where photography is moving. There are other blogs out there coming back from Photokina and reporting about all the new gear that will help those pushing those new genres forward.
I tried to find it - but it's lost. A blogger I read illustrated a snarky news lede as . . . . 'jumping around like two boys with GoPro's strapped to their heads'.
09-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Your technical terms are just a joy.
I try and simplifiy things so folks can understand what I'm saying...
09-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LuLa is playing to their constituency. Why would they do anything else?
09-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
LuLa is playing to their constituency. Why would they do anything else?
That is basically what i meant when I said "
They didn't talk about smartphones, or watches, or drones, or a thousand other possible electronic devices that were shown. That's not what they are about.
Why does anyone expect these two guys to talk about drones or smart phone photography? I'm sure there is a review from cnet or one of the techno-geek websites that give a full rundown of these things. These two guys are traditional big print photographers. They aren't riding bicycles off cliffs with parachutes and a GoPro. But as old as they are, they also are going with the mirrorless revolution.
09-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If they were sitting at my table talking I would have got up and left... believe it or not I don't buy the car magazines they talk about. I buy Consumer reports to get the cost of maintenance break downs. What they said to me is "we're a bunch of nouveau rich wanna bees and we want to tell you we really love people who charge a lot of money for snob value."

I should have just left it at "knobs".
09-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If they were sitting at my table talking I would have got up and left... believe it or not I don't buy the car magazines they talk about. I buy Consumer reports to get the cost of maintenance break downs. What they said to me is "we're a bunch of nouveau rich wanna bees and we want to tell you we really love people who charge a lot of money for snob value."

I should have just left it at "knobs".
Wanna bees? How much traffic does your website get? When are you posting your review from Photokina? Did you have a good trip? I know they aren't saying what you want to hear, so you want to discredit them, but you need to have some credibility yourself first.
09-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Wanna bees? How much traffic does your website get? When are you posting your review from Photokina? Did you have a good trip? I know they aren't saying what you want to hear, so you want to discredit them, but you need to have some credibility yourself first.
Actually, I don't even believe in "credibility" I believe in the truth will prevail, and is quite often self evident. People who rely on others credibility instead of measuring against their own truth are fools.