Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma produces such outstanding lenses,

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

yet their rear lens caps are something out of a nightmare. Every time I buy a used Pentax lens and get a Sigma rear lens cap with it, I want to scream. Does Sigma just not care? Was it a Friday afternoon design? Is it just me?

09-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sigma requires observation, not guesswork. Tamron can be tricky. I have some Pentax caps that are so loose, they fall off.
09-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my shooting bag, I much prefer the Pentax press-on rear caps, even though they have been criticized for appearing cheap and flimsy (and may get loose with enough wear). My second choice are the generic twist caps, particularly the ones with a flange wide enough to cover the contacts on the mount. My Sigma and Tamron caps generally stay at home and are used only for storage.
09-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
The Tamron rear caps are the worst for me. I've actually gotten one stuck on the back of another lens. Normally they are just a PITA to put on, having to turn them just right to find the sweet spot. Same with their hoods. My old 75-300, and my current 90mm Macro, had such a stiff hood, that I had to hold the lens barrel every time I took it on or off. Every Sigma lens I've ever purchased has been used, and has always had aftermarket rear caps, so that probably supports the OP's point pretty well

09-25-2014, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I don't like my sigma or tamron caps. I *really* like the op/tech USA caps. They're big enough to cover the contacts, they feel really solid, and they have an O ring to keep the rear element from getting dusty. In addition to the typical single lens mount cap, they make one that lets you cap two lenses back to back -- nice for carrying two limited primes, or carrying a teleconverter on the back of a zoom, or just for switching lenses with minimal exposure time.

OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap
09-25-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The rear? The front cap that comes with the new 17-70C is the worse ever!
09-25-2014, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I bought ten of these and sidelined all my inferior third party caps:

New Rear Lens Caps Cover Black Plastic Round for Pentax PK 18 55mm 55 300M 40mm | eBay

I doubt they are authorized to put the Pentax brand name on these, but I couldn't for a million dollars say which are original Pentax and which are knock-offs.

09-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The rear? The front cap that comes with the new 17-70C is the worse ever!
The front cap on my Nikon version of the 10-20 lens was junk and I replaced it immediately -- just an outer edge pinch that you couldn't remove if the hood was on. The pentax version came with a much nicer one, comparable to the pentax and nikon brand lens caps.

I dunno if I'm the only one who does this or if it's common, but I use a little piece of safety/skateboard tape on each side of the inner pinch part of my lens caps, to make them really easy to remove - no slipping on the plastic, and you don't need a solid grip.

---------- Post added 09-25-14 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I bought ten of these and sidelined all my inferior third party caps:

New Rear Lens Caps Cover Black Plastic Round for Pentax PK 18 55mm 55 300M 40mm | eBay

I doubt they are authorized to put the Pentax brand name on these, but I couldn't for a million dollars say which are original Pentax and which are knock-offs.
I think those are the same ones I bought a bunch of to cap all the old lenses I picked up that didn't have caps at all. They work fine.
09-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
yet their rear lens caps are something out of a nightmare. Every time I buy a used Pentax lens and get a Sigma rear lens cap with it, I want to scream. Does Sigma just not care? Was it a Friday afternoon design? Is it just me?
It's not just you! And it's not just their Pentax caps, too. Their Nikon caps are crap too.

Purchase a few extra Pentax caps and when you get your Sigma lens, leave the cap in the box for if/when you want to sell the lens.

---------- Post added 09-25-14 at 08:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I don't like my sigma or tamron caps. I *really* like the op/tech USA caps. They're big enough to cover the contacts, they feel really solid, and they have an O ring to keep the rear element from getting dusty. In addition to the typical single lens mount cap, they make one that lets you cap two lenses back to back -- nice for carrying two limited primes, or carrying a teleconverter on the back of a zoom, or just for switching lenses with minimal exposure time.

OP/TECH USA Lens Mount Cap
I have the back to back one. Great for two limiteds as you say. Hadn't thought about the teleconverter thing, that's a good idea.
09-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Great for two limiteds as you say.
Isn't it? I really want to get a 70 or 77 (still trying to justify the cost when I already have the 3 da* zooms). Then I can have my 15 and 40 in one pocket, the 7? and maybe a teleconverter in the other pocket, and have most focal ranges I'd want to walk around with covered, without having to carry any heavy zooms around, and without anything rattling around in my pockets.
09-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Then I can have my 15 and 40 in one pocket, the 7? and maybe a teleconverter in the other pocket
This would make for one heck of a "or are you just happy to see me" joke
09-25-2014, 09:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have noticed my Pentax rear lens caps don't work well on my Sigma lenses as they fall off easily. I've never been upset about it as I just keep each lens cap with the lens it came with.

I think Sigma lenses with the EX designation are excellent lenses to work with. I suspect they usually need more Lens Aligning than other top brands. I just wish the 500mm F/4.5 had a faster autofocus and the same can be said with their 120-300mm F/2.8. I've tried other highly expensive super telephotos and they are a bit faster than the 500mm.
09-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yet their rear lens caps are something out of a nightmare
I believe the rear caps on the new art lenses are much better now, at least on the 30/1.4 I bought recently. You don't have to line the invisible bot with the mounting mark, and it looks good.
For the old caps, I mark the alignment position with a white/sliver maker. It helps a lot.
09-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yes, I've heard on this forum before that they've got new caps on their newer lenses, thank god. I keep a supply of extra "normal" contact-covering rear caps anyway for my used lenses...