Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

(also) going to shoot a friends wedding

Hi there everybody,

I have recently seen a similar thread to this one, but I did not want to hijack that one.
Also, my question goes a little bit more towards the preparation and the gear.

As recently posted in another thread around here, I have been shooting pictures for the wedding invitations of two friends of mine.
I think they turned out quite ok, if not exactly amazing, but it seems the couple was quite satisfied.

Anyhow today in the office, the groom-to-be asked me whether I would like to shoot their actual wedding in July 2015, at a garden party in his parent's garden.
I said I would be happy to do that but did not offer it up front because of exactly the reasons that are usually discussed in this forum... bride/groom expectations, not wanting to ruin "that one special day", etc.... but he just laughed it off and said it's not going to be about "standard wedding photography", but they rather want just a documentation of the proceedings. And that they trust my abilities fully. When I suggested we should definitely alos do a second session, with well prepared bride&groom shots at a special location and nice lighting etc, he was actually positively surprised and agreed it is a great idea

So anyhow, I agreed to do it, and will set to preparing myself and my equipment until then.
I planned to go more into semi-professional portrait- and event-photography in any case, since I need to justify my expenses on equipment somehow it's quite too much for it being "just a hobby".

Here's the (photo) gear I already have (not all lenses will be used I guess):
  • K-5IIs
  • Pentax SMC DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 WR
  • Pentax SMC DA 55-300mm F4-5.8
  • Sigma AF 15/2.8 EX DG FISHEYE
  • Pentax SMC FA 31 F1.8 Limited
  • Pentax SMC FA* 85mm F1.4
  • Pentax SMC M-50 F1.4
  • Cactus RF60 flash
  • Cactus V6 remote trigger
  • fold-able reflector
  • 32GB memory card
  • a tripod with quick release mount
  • Battery grip

Here's the (photo) gear I plan to buy/borrow until then:
  • K-5IIs or the upcoming Pentax FF () as second/first/backup camera
  • at least 1 x 32GB memory card for each camera, one as backup
  • a second Cactus RF60 flash
  • softbox(es) for the flash(es)
  • an umbrella
  • some stands/tripods for positioning the flash(es) and reflector(s)

Additionally I thought I will need:
  • a step ladder for certain (group) shots
  • lots of batteries
  • a willing assistant I can pay with beer who will help me with holding reflectors

Am I missing something important on equipment level?
Looking forward to any tips / tricks / suggestions!
Fire away!

BR René

p.s.: two more shots of the happy couple (also cross posted from the other thread):

Last edited by wullemaha; 10-22-2014 at 01:00 AM.
10-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your pics look good - nice and melodramatic, Wullemaha.

You have professional level primes for the slow setup shots (such as the cake and the rings) but "only" consumer zooms to capture people shots (where the expressions on their faces may pass too quickly for you to change lens or you can't zoom with your feet because of furniture or people).

Just an observation. You may not be troubled in the least.
10-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You have professional level primes for the slow setup shots (such as the cake and the rings) but "only" consumer zooms to capture people shots (where the expressions on their faces may pass too quickly for you to change lens or you can't zoom with your feet because of furniture or people).
Jep, I totally agree !
I just recently sold the Tamron 17-50 F2.8, because I never use Zooms in my "normal" shooting.
I am currently thinking whether the 18-135 will be good enough for one of the bodies, while the other body is holding the 31 and the 85, or whether I should put the 31 on one body and the 85 on the other and wing it... or whether I need to get a professional zoom.

Thoughts are very welcome !

edit: oh and thanks for the nice feedback!
10-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow. Good luck. No pressure.

Unfortunately that 17-50 would've come in handy. The 18-135 would likely be decent enough on the short end for some group shots but I think I'd be leaning heavily on the 31 and 85.

10-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

And so could a 50-135.

If you're in Melbourne I could loan both to you for the weekend.
10-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Wow. Good luck. No pressure.
Unfortunately that 17-50 would've come in handy. The 18-135 would likely be decent enough on the short end for some group shots but I think I'd be leaning heavily on the 31 and 85.
Haha yes. Well the couple is really easy going, but my nerves will be quite on edge, probably even more than theirs.
I agree on the 17-50...

And so could a 50-135.
If you're in Melbourne I could loan both to you for the weekend.
Thanks a lot, well appreciated! However the wedding will be back home in Austria (moving back there after a 2 year stay in Japan in 1 1/2 weeks...).
And although many people confuse our countries with each other, we know that they are a bit apart in terms of miles...
10-21-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Haha yes. Well the couple is really easy going, but my nerves will be quite on edge, probably even more than theirs.
I agree on the 17-50...

Thanks a lot, well appreciated! However the wedding will be back home in Austria (moving back there after a 2 year stay in Japan in 1 1/2 weeks...).
And although many people confuse our countries with each other, we know that they are a bit apart in terms of miles...

There's gotta be 100 'wedding shots guides' running around the internet, worth taking a look at a bunch of them. Somewhere on the internet there's a print-out-able card you can jam in your pocket as a reminder.

10-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
There's gotta be 100 'wedding shots guides' running around the internet, worth taking a look at a bunch of them. Somewhere on the internet there's a print-out-able card you can jam in your pocket as a reminder.
Thanks for your reply! Before I started this thread, I typed "wedding" into the search function of the forum and browsed through the first 10 threads that search resulted in ... and yep, there were lots of links and tips. I already noted some stuff down and will do more research until the wedding actually comes (it's only in July 2015, after all).

But I like the interaction with all the experienced people in this nice forum, so I thought this (for me) surprising and pleasant news warrants a topic on its own

One dedicated question that would be interesting: has anyone here ever shot a wedding with primes only?
I somehow could see myself wielding two K5IIs', one with the 31 and one with the 85 ... but I don't know if I am daydreaming here or that could actually work?
10-22-2014, 12:07 AM   #9
Brooke Meyer

Any sort of event coverage, including weddings, good quality, fast zooms are the ticket. The attached was taken with a Tamron 28-75/2.8 on a K10. Its still my workhorse event and portrait lens.. Besides a pair of K5IIs bodies, my bag has a DA12-24, DA17-70, the Tamron 28-75 and DA 50-135. A couple of Pentax 540's with black foamie things and I'm good to go.

10-22-2014, 12:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
The attached was taken with a...
Hey, you can see my current apartment in that picture!
10-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I could happily shoot a wedding with my FA31/FA77 (or 85 in your case) combo on two bodies. But if I did this on a regular basis I can definitely see the value in a zoom combo.

There is a reason why the 24-70/70-200 combo is so popular with the pros (on full frame).
10-22-2014, 12:41 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Ah ... yep, there were no kangaroos when we visited very pleasant Salzburg a few years back!

Good luck with it all.

Last edited by clackers; 10-22-2014 at 01:02 AM.
10-22-2014, 12:48 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote

There is a reason why the 24-70/70-200 combo is so popular with the pros (on full frame).
And a detail/portrait prime like an 85mm f1.4.

Pentaxians could have as cards in their hand lenses such as the DA*16-50, DA*50-135 and FA77.
10-22-2014, 12:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And a detail/portrait prime like an 85mm f1.4.

Pentaxians could have as cards in their hand lenses such as the DA*16-50, DA*50-135 and FA77.
Sounds reasonable. So currently I see these options for my main setups (with any of the other lenses in my bag, available for swaps/backups)...
  1. One body with 31, one body with 85
  2. One body with 18-135, one body with 85
  3. One body with more professional zoom (either a 3rd party 2.8 or one of the DA* mentioned, to be bought), one with 85

Still plenty of time for the actual decision, so I am always happy for further input
10-22-2014, 01:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm shooting one for a friend in a month (just sold my tamron 17-50 as well...same reasons as you!!).... I intend to have my Sigma 70-200 2.8 on one body and 21/31/43/77 prime on the other....