Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just got my prints reviewed ... oh, no!

A couple weeks ago I photographed my kid's school Walk-A-Thon event. I ended up with 103 shots that I printed in various sizes and aspect ratios. All the photos are in protective sleeves. Today I was planning to go back to my LCS and get a binder to put everything inside. Tomorrow I wanted to go to the school and deliver the album. It's was to be my little contribution to the school - to the kids, the staff, and the volunteers.

This is the largest and most ambitious printing project I have done. I spent a lot of time weeding out stinker shots (blur, out of focus, etc) and processing what I thought were winners. After looking at and processing the shots I know my attention to detail may have slipped. I asked a coworker if he could look over to point out anything I could have missed. Maybe there's a burned/dodged area I forgot to smooth out. Perhaps a couple of the shots don't look as good as I thought they should and they ought to be taken out (stinkers). His commentary was a mixed bag. He first complimented me on some of the shots. That was nice. Then he pointed out the ones I should take out. I asked why, hoping to get insight on what I missed. He simply said that they are too provocative.

What?!

I was seriously confused. He said it's a bad idea to have pictures of young females on the cusp of puberty and becoming women. People may think I'm trying to portray something that isn't there. He went on to say that he's surprised the school let me photograph there at all - of anything and anyone, especially female.

After being confused by his statement I was stunned. I got shivers and kind of started shaking a little bit. You could have knocked me over with a feather. What got me is that he said so matter of factly and deadpan. It was like saying I missed a piece of lint from my freshly washed shirt.

Now I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to deliver this project to the school. What if he's right and I am seen as an indecent photographer? The last thing I want is to get a knock on my door from the police. Should I simply remove certain photos? Are there certain criteria to follow? Maybe only group shots to keep? Only one gender and only certain grade levels? I don't care about lost money now. I'll shred whatever needs to be shredded and delete whatever needs to be deleted.

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point. I'm posting this out in the open because I don't feel like I have anything to hide and or that I did something dirty. I understand that I'm very, very detached from the world in many ways like social media and current events. Yes, I'm obtuse and a bit of a square.

Typing this out to the forum feels therapeutic but right now I kind of feel sick to my gut.

10-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think your co-worker is nuts. Maybe paranoid. Too much Law & Order: SVU.
10-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only thing which comes to my mind when I read your colleague reaction is "what the h*ll?!"
10-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
He said it's a bad idea to have pictures of young females on the cusp of puberty and becoming women. People may think I'm trying to portray something that isn't there. He went on to say that he's surprised the school let me photograph there at all - of anything and anyone, especially female.
I think someone (and not you) might be projecting a bit.

10-23-2014, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I appreciate your sharing that story, it's very real.

Having work reviewed by anyone can be intimidating, and for someone to suggest an aspect of your shots that you never considered can feel kind of strange. Now, their perspective could be hugely beneficial or just a stink bomb.

Shooting teens, especially girls, can be a sensitive thing these days. My daughter is a cheerleader and I'll occasionally shoot her squad, and their, to quote my mother-in-law "healthy selves" can overwhelm the frame. The kids love it, but I can see where parents or elders can get other ideas. As I photographer like yourself, I'm sensitive of my subjects' bodies, skin, and overall disposition. So I self-edit.

My advice: I'd setup a private Flickr photo site and ask for comments from any friends who work at the school; also your kid's teachers, and your friends with kids. Ask for their comments, but don't frame the discussion about whether the shots are appropriate or not. On your response to their comments you can then say that someone else thought that the shots of the girls were a bit too sensational and you wanted their opinion. You can base your next step(s) on their perceptions. That would be fair to yourself.

M
10-23-2014, 01:23 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Dude, your coworker is a sicko. Seriously... if he thinks photos of pre-teen or teen girls on a walk-a-thon are provocative, that's flashing red light for him, not you.

You're in Nevada, so unless this was some kind of Vegas Showgirl-themed walk-a-thon (!), I can't really imagine WTF is the problem. The USA is messed up in many, many ways (I say as a proud US citizen who grew up there) and the media distorts people's common sense 24/7, but if you can't see it and you have a kid of that age, then it probably isn't there.

You did have permission (verbal or whatever) to take photos at the event, right? I'm sure the school will be thrilled with the album, and if you can, include a USB key with the images as JPEGS of a consistent pixel size so they can run a laptop-slideshow for the kids!
10-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I think your co-worker is nuts. Maybe paranoid. Too much Law & Order: SVU.
His reaction is reflective of an excessive chill that has come over attention given by adults to children with whom they are not acquainted. I guess he figures that unless the school formally requested you to take the photos it would be risky to offer and unsolicited photo album. I think he is over-reacting. Run it by the principal first. She or he will be thoroughly familiar with the minefield of parents' perceptions of their children's school activities.

10-23-2014, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pesterle Quote
I was thinking along the same lines.

I wonder if the OP's friend is the person who inspired the joke about the guy who went to a psychiatrist and was given a Rorschach's test. He made some sort of sexual reference to every inkblot he was shown. The psychiatrist said "Clearly, you're obsessed with sex". The guy said "What do you mean I'm obsessed with sex? You're the one with the dirty pictures."

Seriously, they're pictures of an event, held in public view, that included children. It takes a mindset that is rather, well, um, let's say "unusual" to turn that into something inappropriate.
10-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
My advice: I'd setup a private Flickr photo site and ask for comments from any friends who work at the school; also your kid's teachers, and your friends with kids.
This is a good idea overall when doing a major project. The private online resource allows your client and others to vet your work before doing prints or burning a DVD.

As for your co-worker, the comments might make sense if you were hanging around outside the playground fence taking photos (good way to meet policemen), but since you had full permission the rules of good taste and general propriety should be your main concerns.

Steve
10-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Did your coworker point out ALL shots of young ladies to be removed, or only a few of them? If it was just a few, you might take a second look to see if any inadvertently emphasize some T or A or have wardrobe malfunctions.

But if he thought all pictures of these ladies were off limits, I wouldn't fret. That's just crazy talk.
10-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have taken pictures of girls playing basketball. They were 2nd grade I think. Had permission of the coach. Spent a lot of time taking them and editing. Originally had them on Flickr. He looked at some and asked they be made private. Gave him a CD to share with the other parents. Never heard from anyone after that. In the end I don't think he ever shared the CD. Something happen between him asking me to take them and then posting them. So I don't take pictures of young kids anymore. Just seems to be a lot of sensitivity about it. Not worth the hassle. I think the suggestion about putting on Flickr with private entry is a good idea.
Amy
10-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their replies! I feel a lot better now. Let me add a little more context to the shots.

I was one of least five other people taking pictures in some capacity. Teachers, local newspaper photographers, and volunteers were using smartphones and stand alone cameras. Someone had a Canon 40D.

I signed in at the school office as a visitor and wore a 1" x 3" school visitor sticker.

I did not receive formal permission, like a signed document. The PTO board was asking who would take pictures to be used in newsletters and the yearbook. My wife, who is PTO president, said that between me and another mom we should have plenty of photos. Everyone was happy to know I would be there.

I walked with the kids in the open. There was no secret of my presence. Kids, of both genders, would shout out to me and ask me if I could take their picture. I obliged and indulged them even if the lighting was bad. They wanted the experience of getting the picture taken and I did not want to deprive them of the excitement. Some of the shots came out good, actually. One of the volunteers working at a snack station is on the yearbook committee. She asked me to take a group shot of four sixth grade ladies that dressed up with ribbons in their hair, crazy face paint, tutus, and wacky knee high socks. Do a Google Image Search for "color run tutu" and you'll know what I mean. They were thrilled to know I was going to photograph them.

After the event, I stayed to help clean up. The principal, who participated, gave me a hearty slap on the back and asked if I got any good shots. "300!" I told him and he said he cant wait to see them.

My coworker pointed out the shots that were of upper grade ladies. The ladies in the tutus were noticed along with a different upper grade lady in a tank top, running but turned 3/4 to face me, arm outstretched, waving a peace sign.

I was going to deliver the album to a secretary at the school office and ask her to deliver it to the principal.
10-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pesterle Quote
This. It sounds to me like your coworker may have some issues.

On the other hand, not having seen the images... your coworker could just be someone who prefers to be super-careful. Goodness knows common sense flies straight out the window when someone smears someone with accusations of those sorts of intentions. One paranoid mother freaking out and you could end up with a reputation that you can never quite clean no matter how false it is.
10-23-2014, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, it is indicative of the society we live in today.
Without actually seeing the pictures, he is probably in the wrong. However, you DEFINITELY don't want a rumor starting of that nature about you and all it takes is this single idiot implying something and you are unfairly branded.
10-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think your co-worker has some issues he/she needs to confront - possibly with a therapist.

I've been asked to shoot numerous school events, so I'm speaking from some experience here.

You took photos in a public place, of people doing normal things. There's nothing unusual about that. Unless you zoomed in on specific parts of anyone's anatomy (and I'm sure you did not!) then there can be no problem. And, you were asked to do so and told they can't wait to see your pictures. My advice - deliver the photos in print and digitally on a USB stick. Schools love being able to show photos with a digital projector, or on their website, or whatever.

In fact, when I've been asked, they did not even want prints because everything is digital these days and an album will just lie somewhere gathering dust.