Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Camera clubs

I went to my first informal meeting with a camera club today....nice people but I don't think anyone in the group knew or cared about my K-3 which is actually fine with me cause I enjoy being under the radar so to speak...LOL
There was a lot of talk about Sonys and Canikons.
One guy picked up my K-3 / FA31 and was quite impressed with how heavy and solid it felt....yup, that's why I love Pentax.

I look forward to the next meeting...maybe I'll bring the K-01 and really confuse them...

12-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Years ago, when I was very young, I belonged to a Camera Club, and guess what, "It was the same back then".
12-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only you can decide whether the club is about their gear or taking photos.
12-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Same at the camera club I occasionally go to, I'm somewhat of a novelty. I started with a K-r and now carry a K-3 - I'm not sure what they would make of my Q.

12-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went to a camera club - all everyone ever did was pander to the judges tastes, which doesn't lead to improvement or development of photographic style. I prefer masterclasses, I have lectured and participated in a few and it is encouraging to see what students and the lecturers come up with.
12-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you came to my camera club, you'd find the same thing. Most of the people are Canon or Nikon. There's one Sony shooter and 2 Pentax shooters...and one of the Pentax guys doesn't come all the time. HOWEVER...if you were to do this same survey back when the club was founded, you'd have seen that the founder was a Pentax guy and would be able to see that the 2 remaining original members were both Pentax people back then. I'm a big believer in camera clubs. I tried working alone and I've tried working with the support of people who also love this hobby. It's better to have friends.

---------- Post added 12-19-2014 at 02:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I went to a camera club - all everyone ever did was pander to the judges tastes, which doesn't lead to improvement or development of photographic style.
Did they use the same judges all the time? Our club changes judges every competition so the tastes change. In reality, it shouldn't matter...but it does.
12-19-2014, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Did they use the same judges all the time? Our club changes judges every competition so the tastes change.
They do change the judges - but everyone knows who they are in advance which only adds to the pandering...to be frank, it annoys the hell out of me.

12-19-2014, 01:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
They do change the judges - but everyone knows who they are in advance which only adds to the pandering...to be frank, it annoys the hell out of me.
And that is the reason why I dropped out of the camera club movement. I could not be bothered trying to create images that appealed to the judges. Now I take images that appeal to me because that is far more satisfying.
12-19-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My club is most a group of friends and a couple of random people who attend from time to time. Our print contests are pretty serious and strict. I put tape over my camera badge just to stress out the ones who just have to know what everyone is shooting with. I use to bring my Contax 645 and sit it on the table and watch reactions. People who are gear oriented react differently.

At one point we had 3 Pentax users in the group who came regularly and 2 that popped in every now and then. We are down to just me and one guy who occasionally comes by. We will meet in January for a best Holiday picture contest, and this year mine will probably be taken with the new A7m2. The other two regulars have switched to Fuji X-T1s.
12-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I could not be bothered trying to create images that appealed to the judges. Now I take images that appeal to me because that is far more satisfying.
From this, can we assume your pics didn't score well? lol Camera club competitions are just a very crude measuring stick for overall popularity of pics. If you hope to sell them to publications...well, maybe it matters what a regular John Doe thinks. But if you're just shooting to suit yourself, how pics score in a camera club competition really doesn't matter that much and is only a very small part of the overall comaraderie of belonging to a club.
12-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
Forum Member

Hi
The camera club I belong to have four pentax users, me with the k3 ,k5
One with k30 another one with a kx and a young lad with a me super
Which he borrowed from his granddad
Neil
12-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
From this, can we assume your pics didn't score well?
I didn't put any up. I didn't think it would be even remotely fair
12-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

camera clubs, no way, photo walks, yes it is nice to have a day out
12-20-2014, 06:13 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
camera clubs, no way, photo walks, yes it is nice to have a day out
Our club has a field trip every month. Not sure I see the difference.

Edited to add: I just noticed that most of the resistance to camera clubs seems to be coming from our friends from Australia. I think you guys need to band together and make clubs more relevant! lol
12-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Not all camera clubs are competition and gear focused. The one I'm in has no competitions anymore, just monthly themes, slideshows of member submissions to these themes, discussion of how they were made, as well as workshops, speakers, photo walks/trips, and so on. It's all very friendly and learning oriented.

There is some gear foolery, but for the most part the brand or type isn't a major concern. Upon seeing seeing some of my images and finding out I used a Pentax, I did get to hear "It just goes to show that the camera doesn't matter much". My response was silence and the best look of befuddlement I could muster, I haven't heard any nonsense like this since. Mostly there are no derogatory comments about other peoples equipment though, which is good as we have wide representation of equipment from cell phones, to P&S's to dslr's across most brands.

Camera clubs aren't for everyone, but it can be worth it to try out a few in your area (if you have the option) to see if any are a good fit. No two clubs are alike!