Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Storing old gear

Hi all,

I think I have read every single post in the Internet trying to look for this answer but I could not find it.
If I put a couple of decent size dehumidifiers in an air tight container, will they keep the container dry for a few months? My reasoning is the following...there is X humidity in the box, the dehumidifiers suck in that humidity. Since it is air tight more humidity cannot get in there. Is that correct?

Thanks beforehand!

12-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I have everything out in the open or a glass display case, always no lens caps an aperture opened up in the
Light. As long as there is some air movement and light no danger of fungus.
Also at least once a Month work the lens focus, zoom and aperture, don't forget to exercise the cameras as well
But never leave a film camera with the shutter cocked.
Never had a problem with this method and gives encouragement to actually use the stuff.
12-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #3

i'm not sure if i get this... an electric dehumidifier in an air tight container? the moisture has to go somewhere. how will you get the moisture out of the dehumidifier? i'm not a fan of air tight containers. i have a small waterproof fire resistant safe that's air tight and if i don't open it occasionally, there's mold on everything. the moisture from the air that's trapped in there just equilibrates and my papers feel moist. i've had mold grow on the papers in that thing. so a way to dehumidify it would be good, but i'm not sure how that would work.

at work, we store chemicals with drierite/calcium sulfate/gypsum in a jar. i suppose you could do that at home and substitute with rice instead, but i'm not sure how much more/less water that rice would hold moisture than drierite.
12-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your answers. It is one of these guys:

Amazon.com: Eva-dry E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer: Home & Kitchen

My guess is that humidity gets trapped there.

12-21-2014, 10:12 AM   #5

ah interesting. the way to recharge/reuse desiccants like drierite is to heat it up and let the moisture evaporate. it's seems like it could be something similar.
12-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote

Its a silica gel pack in a plastic basket. The "wireless" claim means just as much as if they had labeled it "sugar-free" or "energy-star compliant".

Unless you are trying to remove moisture from inside damp equipment (wet camera or phone) in a hurry, fresh air is best.

When storing lenses in the house, be aware of grease, oil, and chemicals in the air. There's a reason the Friday Fish-Fry was held at the church: when you fry foods, the grease permeates the air and coats everything in the house. Hair spray, cleaning chemicals, and pretty much any aerosol puts particles in the air which can find their way to the mineral coating of a lens, just like mold spores and moisture can.

The previous suggestion of a glass case is excellent. I keep my equipment on shelves in a closed guest room.
12-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Aquadome,
Actually that one works well. I know about other ways of storing lenses but I am specifically asking about dehumidifier in a sealed box for a long time.

12-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For items used once a month or less I use a plastic box with over-center clips and rubber seal bought ($5) in a local supermarket, silca gel ($2 from Ebay) in a plastic casing allowing reactivation and an analog hygrometer ($1.50 from Ebay) to check what the actual humidity level is inside when stored.
For daily access storage I use a Sirui Humidity Control Cabinet (I live in a relatively high humidity area)
Attached Images

12-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
(I live in a relatively high humidity area)
ak_kiwi,

What is your target humidity level in the Sirui cabinet? Thanks.

- Craig
12-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Target humidity for lens storage should be between 40% - 50%. Too dry can cause the lubricant of old lenses to dry out.
12-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote

+1 I use one of those as well in the area where I keep my lenses as well as silica gel packs in each lens case.

Phil.
12-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
What is your target humidity level in the Sirui cabinet? Thanks.
As drypen noted, 40% -50%, and I have it set at 45%. This is also the humidity level I end up with in my plastic boxes I described above. (see pic below)

One thing I will add about purchasing a Humidity Control Cabinet, is to lay out your camera gear an a table to get an idea of the cabinet capacity you need.
Then buy the next size up!
Attached Images