Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 12:45 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

What is THE best camera out there!?

Beautiful winter day today... sunny with a high of 3 degrees Celsius. Perfect for a walk during lunch time; something that I decide to do.

In my bag, 2 cameras. But I decide to leave the bag on my desk since the surrounding areas are quite empty and full of nothing interesting in this weather.
Buildings and empty fields. I'm just going for a walk...

So, here I am walking around and 15 minutes later, I noticed a "Canadian hawk!?" "Northern Harrier Hawk" (HAPPY NOW!? ) sitting up on one of the lamp posts on the street. Beautiful blue sky and the hawk was perfectly lit by the sun.
Nice picture but nothing remarkable I guess - plenty of those on the internet.

I pass the lamp post and I see the hawk's shadow... he opens his wings and goes for a dive.
From the shadow it looked like he was going for me (the hell!? he things I am game!?). I turn and he was about 3-4 meters away from me and he was diving in the empty field next to me and... "thump" (I actually heard him hit the ground)... he got a field mouse... and meticulously started to slowly eat it.

This is happening 6-7 meters away from me... I could of throw pebbles at him.
Where are my cameras!?... on the desk... 15 minutes away from me... even my cell was next to them... such a nice opportunity completely missed!!!

Moral of the story?
Well, is the old "You can have the best gear in the world; but if is not with you, is useless!".
Best camera in the world is one that is with you, doesn't matter the brand, sensor size or the number of its megapickels.

I will never leave anywhere without one (at least not until I forget my lesson... again)!

Last edited by mrNewt; 01-29-2015 at 11:32 AM.
01-28-2015, 12:54 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry you missed your shot. A photographer who gave a program at our camera club was answering questions following his presentation and someone asked him what the best way was to find really great shots. He answered, "Leave your camera at home. You'll see good shots everywhere."
01-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Sorry you missed your shot. A photographer who gave a program at our camera club was answering questions following his presentation and someone asked him what the best way was to find really great shots. He answered, "Leave your camera at home. You'll see good shots everywhere."
Well, you know what? He was right !!!
01-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd kill to get some of the shots I have seen in mind's eye but didn't have a camera with me. I can still see some of them....

01-28-2015, 01:24 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup, that's one of Murphy's Laws...
On the other hand, you got to experience the whole event without worrying about getting the shot right.
01-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great anecdote!

When I first saw the title, I thought, okay, here we go again... FF vs APS-C; mirrorless vs SLR; 16 MP or 24 MP or whatever..." But your interesting story is a very good reminder.

One of the lessons I still need to learn (even when I have my camera in hand): Take the shot now; it'll be gone when you return. Sometimes while hiking, I'll encounter an interesting picture opportunity, and decide instead that I'll stop on my return route. More often than not, the light has deterioriated or the shadows are not as interesting, or the still morning air is replaced by a light wind that ripples a pond surface. Will I ever learn?

- Craig
01-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

some of the best photo opportunities came when I was driving. Even though I had my camera, there was no way of stopping. Dear running across the road in front of me, A hawk sitting on a fence post. A good photo opportunity is a combination of luck, having your camera available and having a good opportunity to compose and take the picture.

Sometimes you have to get lucky, and other times you just have to be quick.

But if you don't have your camera, There's no way you can take the picture.

01-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still crying a little inside...

Long, long time ago (10-12 years) I missed a similar opportunity, but at least I had an excuse - din't had a camera at that specific time.
The irony is that I was actually on my way to the mall to buy one... ... I never forgot the event and my frustration. I have a feeling I won't forget the one from today either .
01-28-2015, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In our image-saturated world, you have something far more valuable. A memory that is yours and yours alone. You sully that moment by wishing you had a camera.

No one can badmouth your memory...

"Your recollection is too dark. You should have added some fill flash there..."

01-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
No one can badmouth your memory...
My wife bad-mouths mine daily
01-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Your recollection is too dark. You should have added some fill flash there...
I swear it was THE perfect exposure!!!
01-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
My wife bad-mouths mine daily
I've threatened to set up video cameras throughout the house and in the car as video proof I said what I said and she didn't say what she thought she said.

and don't get me started on the 14 y/o and his recollection of events....
01-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even having it in a backpack can be too far away for some opportunities. I usually start a XC ski excursion with the camera in my pack because that's how I get out of the house with everything I wanted to bring. Then after the first shots, I put it back into my jacket front pocket for quick access.
So, I'm going skiing a couple of weeks ago along the lake shore, come around the bend and a bald eagle is just taking off from near a carcass. Before I could even slip an arm out of the backpack it slowly flew in front of a nicely lit spectacular local landmark (the Dillon Pinnacles) and if I had been ready it could have been a wonderful photo. But alas I wasn't. I did get a decent eagle photo later so it wasn't a total loss, but it wasn't that fantastic shot I didn't get.

But there will (almost) always be other opportunities. I might sigh or even curse under my breath but then I move on and start looking for the next shot.

Last edited by mattb123; 01-28-2015 at 03:58 PM.
01-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I swear it was THE perfect exposure!!!
I thought you did a great job post-processing it, then exporting into Word format.

I've had a lot of those 'perfect' photo moments, where for lack of camera (or permission to use a camera), I've had to close one eye, check my composition, and softly say "ka-shick".
01-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ha Ha! Thanks for sharing!