Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Point and Shoot recomendations

Lately my Panasonic Lumix TZ5 PAS has been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. The reason is the LCD in the back is shot, although it is still usable and the shutter lag on that camera drives me crazy. Still I took some great pictures with that little camera, because I could take it everywhere without anybody noticing. Great for street Photography.

I could also shoot from the hip(literally) without having to point the camera at someone, or something. The other reason I began shunning this camera is when I noticed how bad it handled group portraits. I remember taking pictures of my colleagues at work and when I downloaded the pictures everybody was disproportionately shorter or taller than they were in real life ! Panasonic boast that this camera comes with a Leica lens.

That being said, can anybody recommend a point and shoot camera with a decent shutter-lag or should I go for one of those mirror-less units ?

02-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Lately my Panasonic Lumix TZ5 PAS has been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. The reason is the LCD in the back is shot, although it is still usable and the shutter lag on that camera drives me crazy. Still I took some great pictures with that little camera, because I could take it everywhere without anybody noticing. Great for street Photography.

I could also shoot from the hip(literally) without having to point the camera at someone, or something. The other reason I began shunning this camera is when I noticed how bad it handled group portraits. I remember taking pictures of my colleagues at work and when I downloaded the pictures everybody was disproportionately shorter or taller than they were in real life ! Panasonic boast that this camera comes with a Leica lens.

That being said, can anybody recommend a point and shoot camera with a decent shutter-lag or should I go for one of those mirror-less units ?
I love the Sony RX100. It's not cheap but it's got great image quality and performance plus a fast lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For a general, pocketable point-and-shoot camera, I agree the Sony RX100 family, with that great one-inch sensor, is an excellent option, particularly if you don't really need telephoto capability. If you can swing the Mark III, with its faster lens and built-in EVF, fabulous. If not, go for the original rather than the Mark II because it's now available at bargain prices.

Otherwise, if you'd like something more along the lines of your old TZ5, try the brand-new Panasonic ZS50/TZ70. It's not even available until the end of March. 24-720mm lens, high-quality built-in EVF and a 12mp 1/2.3" BSI sensor.

Want to split the difference and maybe go just a bit bigger? Try the Olympus Stylus 1. Mini DSLR style, 28-300mm f/2.8 constant-aperture lens, high-quality built-in EVF and a 1/1.7" BSI sensor. The camera is bigger than the other two but is definitely jacket pocketable when powered down and the lens is retracted into the camera body.

I think you'll find shutter lag really isn't a problem anymore on most of the better point-and-shoot cameras.

Last edited by Biro; 02-01-2015 at 05:15 PM.
02-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I doubt if I'll go for another Panasonic. It's a great little camera, but then it starts getting on your nerves. Thanks for recommending the Sony now I can do some research.

02-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote

Sorry, no recommendations for a P+S camera.

I also have a 2004 Panasonic digital with supposedly a 'Leica' lens. I also have a '52 Leica 11f rangefinder (35mm) with a collapsible Leitz Elmar 50 mm lens.

From my experience with both cameras...I would say that the Panasonic Leica lens I have...is not in the same league as my Leitz lens, on my old Leica RF.

No surprise there, I suppose.
02-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find the Canon S-110 hard to beat. The S-100 is just as good for maybe $100 used. All I took on a recent trip to Britain.
02-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How is the shutter lag on the Canon s-110 or the Sony RX100 ? This is one of the things that the Specs rarely mention(unless you dig for it), but it is very important. After using the built-in flash on my Panasonic TZ-5, the shutter lag usually increases (at least on my Panasonic ) this can get very annoying.

02-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If I was in the market for a new P&S, I would also be seriously looking at the Sony RX100 although I have seen some impressive stuff from the Fuji X 10, X20, X30 models also.
02-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try Canon "S" cameras

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
I find the Canon S-110 hard to beat. The S-100 is just as good for maybe $100 used. All I took on a recent trip to Britain.
I have to agree on the Canon "S" series. I have an S95, and love it! Image quality is great, you can shoot in RAW, it is most definitly pocketable when it is off. Shutter lag? What shutter lag? When you squeeze, it fires! Canon has it together in the point and shoot arena!
02-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I would consider the Canon G1X MkII pocketable. You didn't mention budget. If I had a budget of up to a thousand dollars, that's the one I'd get
The Panasonic LX100 is another option.
And if those aren't pocketable, the Canon G7X is. But the RX100 would also be an excellent option, of course.