Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

The art of before-and-after pictures

The video accompanying the article shows the magic that can be done with lighting, posture, and makeup. BBC News - The art of before-and-after pictures

03-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Never trust photographers... just saying
03-03-2015, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Precisely. All this nonsense about truth in photography and the responsibility of photojournalism, particularly
as brought to the fore last week, is rubbish.

The camera is a tool for interpreting the world, but it is not reality. As soon as you've decided on a focal length,
you've 'distorted' reality....

Those before and after images are one of the greatest examples of photography slight of hand. They're intended
to illustrate how much the public is fooled by the after image, but the 'before' shots are just as contrived and
manipulated.

I'l share the best advice I ever received: "Question Everything.".
03-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree with tvdtvdtvd. These photographs are one of the greatest examples of photography scam.

A few years ago, I was involved in a scientific forensic investigation of a natural disaster. Before and after shots constituted (and still constitute) a major set of information. (I stress the word scientific here.) It is far from trivial, in particular as soon as you need to retrieve quantitative informations from the image comparison. These before and after images are also critical to learn from experience, as well as to educate newer generations.

My 5 cents, to share my disgust with some form of image manipulation which is deceiving....

03-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've long suspected this sort of thing for these kind of shots selling weight loss. OTOH, I've just gone through 5 months of a focused weight loss program and have actually lost 65 lbs. Haven't done my after shot yet but neither my starting image nor my finishing image will look anything like those in the article.
03-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't get me started on those beauty products...
03-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
...All this nonsense about truth in photography and the responsibility of photojournalism...
There are different expectations for different types of photography. Art photography can do just about whatever it wants. Advertising photography can be manipulated but should comply with trade regulations; it's a given that ads lie. Photojournalism should try to present facts without distortion and without lies of omission.

03-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photography is a creative lie.

A similar clip from "Bigger, Faster, Stronger":

How Before and After Bodybuilding Photos are Often Faked

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
They're intended to illustrate how much the public is fooled by the after image, but the 'before' shots are just as contrived and manipulated.
The goal is to show the public the largest change possible, the Before is always a lie in the downtrodden direction and the After is a lie in the awesome direction.
03-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
There are different expectations for different types of photography. Art photography can do just about whatever it wants. Advertising photography can be manipulated but should comply with trade regulations; it's a given that ads lie. Photojournalism should try to present facts without distortion and without lies of omission.
Well the problem with photojournalism is, as soon as you compose and press the shutter, you are already manipulating. As you decide what the photograph and what to leave out. So there is no real truth, even in photohournalism.
03-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

What irks me even more is those ads for "portrait software", where they completely distort the supposedly "original" non-edited picture, to make it look dreadful.
03-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I can't see why they are calling them "fake", because they are telling the truth of exactly the moment and the setting when the shutter was pushed. It's a truth but maybe not the truth compared to how they are interpreted.
03-03-2015, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I can't see why they are calling them "fake", because they are telling the truth of exactly the moment and the setting when the shutter was pushed. It's a truth but maybe not the truth compared to how they are interpreted.
Good scams are always based on truths half told... that is what this is... a scam designed to fool people and nothing more.
03-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I can't see why they are calling them "fake", because they are telling the truth of exactly the moment and the setting when the shutter was pushed.
They're presenting 'before' and 'after' photos to make the viewer believe some magical transformation happened from using some exercise regime/supplement/product. That's a 'fake' to me.
03-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Why be you when you can be NEW?

-Robots
03-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
They're presenting 'before' and 'after' photos to make the viewer believe some magical transformation happened from using some exercise regime/supplement/product. That's a 'fake' to me.
Actually they did not. If they would have just dressed them in clothes that makes the best of their figures it probably would have been fine for you (ask yourself this question, if two women walk down the street who will you look at, the one dressed plane, or the one with make-up etc). But now they extra with posture and light and take a picture and it is not fine because it is "fake". Well it is not fake, They are still the same person, they are just being uplifted for the photo.
Why do you think some poses do work in portret photography and others not, because they are better suited. Is it then fake if someone "looks"better because they use a better posture?

---------- Post added 03-03-15 at 01:39 PM ----------

because if you do not know the whole context, you might draw a totally wrong conclusion.