Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 06:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What approach works best for you when you're just out and about taking photo's

What is your approach to taking photo's when you just go for a walk around rather than shooting at a particular event? Do you just photograph anything that appeals, or do you pick a theme or a particular type of photo to take. Do you take a single lens, or a couple of lenses and only use them or do you take a range of lenses?

Which approach works best for you?

04-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for me, I'll take my sling-bag that has several lenses, but I'll usually only need one or two...

I'm always looking for interesting textures or patterns, or something I've seen over and over and over but never got a shot of...

I just keep my eyes open for possibilities....
04-25-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Depends, of course.

If my wife is with me I get her to carry a few lenses in her purse. If it's warm enough to wear shorts, I'll have some smaller lenses in the pockets of a pair of cargo shorts. If it's cold enough to wear a jacket, lenses can go in the jacket pockets. I keep most of my lenses in neoprene bags that all have belt loops and clips, so sometimes I'll clip a couple lenses to my belt or belt loops (usually that's if I'm carrying the 16-50 or 50-135 or 8mm fisheye since they won't fit easily in pockets). The 60-250, if I'm carrying that, gets its own fastener on my strap, so when I take it off the camera I throw a cap on it and leave it hanging.

But if I don't want to screw with any of that, I either take the 16-50 with a 1.5x teleconverter in my pocket, or more likely my tamron 28-75 with the 15mm ltd and maybe the teleconverter. The 28-75 covers just about anything I'd want to shoot. The 15 is there if I need to go wide, and the TC is there if I need a little bit more length... and those fit pretty easily in normal pants pockets.
04-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I shot what ever gets my interest. Sometimes I impose a limit or theme but not usually. Usually I shot with the kit lens 18-135, but sometimes I will decide to look for only black and white, only use an old fixed lens and fill the frame, only manual focus. If I put limits on myself, it is to learn or practice a technique. What I enjoy the most is using the kit lens and just seeing what interests me. A lot of my shooting is like a personal mediation type thing, like a diary of what I am feeling at the moment.

04-25-2015, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Depends, of course.
Sometimes I'll go out with appropriate gear for a specific objective. Other times, I'll just grab the camera with a more-or-less whimsical selection of lenses and see what they show me.
04-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It depends.

If I'm just walking around, its with one camera and one prime lens. If I'm going to an event, its usually one camera and one zoom lens. If I am going to a location intentionally to photograph wildlife or scenery, it may be three cameras and a dozen lenses (or more), plus tripods. If I'm wandering around a city looking for architecture, its probably two cameras and a few lenses, plus a buddy to watch my back.
04-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the most success with the simplest of the setups, a Dslr and a manual-focusing prime. There's something about its "limitations" which challenges my spatial perceptions and frame of mind.

Last edited by Stavri; 04-25-2015 at 12:49 PM.
04-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Sometimes I'll go out with appropriate gear for a specific objective. Other times, I'll just grab the camera with a more-or-less whimsical selection of lenses and see what they show me.
Yep. I went walking in the woods beside the river a couple weeks ago and decided to bring along more lenses than I typically would... 8mm fisheye, 15mm ltd, 31mm ltd, 77mm ltd, 100mm macro. Ended up using the fisheye and the macro by far the most, and wishing I'd schlepped along the 60-250 that I left in the trunk when I ended up seeing a bunch of wild turkeys and a couple of hawks. The FA limited lenses are fun for isolating nearby subjects, but they make pretty boring landscape lenses (at least, in the woods where there's still very little green to be seen) and I got tired of messing with fringing in post. The 15mm is usually one of my favorites, but I didn't really like much from that, either.

I just always try to make sure I have something wide, and ideally something normal-long, even if it's just the 15mm and 40mm xs. You can always crop down a bit, but stitching together to make up for not having a wide angle is a pain, especially when the subject isn't static and you didn't lug along a tripod.
04-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I only take one lens and use it all day, and the FA31 is like a normal lens for APS-C so everything can be captured with it, and it produce beautiful photos too ^^
PS : another reason is that I sold almost all my lens to get the FA31 =))
04-25-2015, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
What approach works best for you when you're just out and about taking photo's
Required gear:

1. Canon S95
2. Kowa 8x25 compact folding binos
3. A shave and haircut
4. A wife (essential gear for getting up close to children, pets, adults or property)
5. A smile
6. A wallet filled with plenty of ID and some cash. A snap shot of a cute kid with his pet is a bonus.

Last edited by wildman; 04-25-2015 at 04:47 PM.
04-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Required gear:

1. Canon S95
2. Kowa 8x25 compact folding binos
3. A shave and haircut
4. A wife (essential gear for getting up close to children, pets, adults or property)
5. A smile
6. A wallet filled with plenty of ID and some cash. A snap shot of a cute kid with his pet is a bonus.
#4 Just any will do or must it be your own?
04-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
#4 Just any will do or must it be your own?
Any - even a sister will do in a pinch.
04-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
Forum Member

I carry a pocket camera at all times but when I'm out to solely take pictures, I take my dslr and a couple of lenses. I take pictures of anything that catches my eye.