Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2015, 04:45 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weather Resistance - BAHAHAHAHA :D

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  72.8 KB

I don't know what's funnier - the image, or that it was included in an article called Crazy Photographers who will do ANYTHING for the Perfect Shot! (otherwise a collection of some really inspiring and gutsy photographers).

But yea:

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 04-26-2015 at 04:52 PM.
04-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure if you caught it but the fellows at Calgary AB The Camera Shop plopped a KS2 + DA 20-40 in some mud, massaged a couple handfuls of muck on it then dunked it in the river to clean it...

You are such a bad influence
04-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Not sure if you caught it but the fellows at Calgary AB The Camera Shop plopped a KS2 + DA 20-40 in some mud, massaged a couple handfuls of muck on it then dunked it in the river to clean it...

And then said "Not waterproof! "

---------- Post added 04-26-15 at 07:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Attachment 266365

I don't know what's funnier - the image, or that it was included in an article called Crazy Photographers who will do ANYTHING for the Perfect Shot! (otherwise a collection of some really inspiring and gutsy photographers).

But yea:

-Heie
Hilarious !!

Good catch !
04-26-2015, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Heie, I am sure, that deep in your heart, you appreciate those photographer dedication. Even if is just a ''show off''.

I could do a lot of good pictures, in most sever conditions, but I don't have this....... How can I call it? Dedication, Courage, .....Whatever.

I'm a little ashamed by this. I need some time to think about this.

04-26-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
(Snicker) "Should have gotten a Pentax....."

It would be a great marketing slogan for a campaign. Put people in difficult situations for cameras (water, dust, etc), have their cameras fail, then repeat with a WR Pentax and end with that slogan.
04-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
(Snicker) "Should have gotten a Pentax....."

It would be a great marketing slogan for a campaign. Put people in difficult situations for cameras (water, dust, etc), have their cameras fail, then repeat with a WR Pentax and end with that slogan.
Most definitely! Ricoh, if you're watching, show to what lengths one does NOT need to go if one has a Pentax!
04-26-2015, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote

Alex was definitely the inspiration for that mud-n-dunk portion of the video. Prior to his Afghan exploits, people just ran a tap over the camera and ooh'ed and aah'ed... gotta raise the stakes if you wanna compete with the home-grown nutjobs around here!

BTW, that K-S2 video review was well written and performed, but the ass-ugly "instagram" color grading made it painful to watch. Ugh!

04-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not only do they resist mud...

Steve
04-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@Panoguy: Definitely different for them. The comment section flamed them pretty good. Couple of trolls from the other brands making a fuss but TCS does have a reputation for being Pentax friendly.
04-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
BTW, that K-S2 video review was well written and performed, but the ass-ugly "instagram" color grading made it painful to watch. Ugh!
I also thought it was a good review for Pentax, and demonstrated the strengths of the K-S2 system well. Good to see the DA 20-40 Limited stand up well to rough treatment as well.

There have been plenty of comments on the TCS video about the colour grading. They are using S-Log flat profiles and grading them from there, so my guess is there is still a learning curve attached to that.
04-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Alex was definitely the inspiration for that mud-n-dunk portion of the video. Prior to his Afghan exploits, people just ran a tap over the camera and ooh'ed and aah'ed... gotta raise the stakes if you wanna compete with the home-grown nutjobs around here!
Yea was NOT expecting anything to come of that video....I was expecting MAYBE a few hundred views topping at a few thousand TOPS among Pentaxians. It's closing in on 400,000 (more than many Digital Rev videos I might add ) and it caught the attention of Ricoh for me rofl

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Ricoh, if you're watching, show to what lengths one does NOT need to go if one has a Pentax!
Gives me an idea - it would be so easy to make a marketing campaign out of the image I took during a blizzard (below, a 100% crop) while writing the HD 55-300 WR review. You could recreate it with tons of different situations and small video clips, essentially all of the same time - people running for cover or shielding their camera from the elements while some guy and/or gal with a Pentax keeps going along, not covering anything up:

Another commercial that just came to mind - someone just got their camera (literally - walks right out of B&H in New York with a brand new K-S2 and 18-50 WR) and is walking on a clear day with no rain (but after it was clearly raining), and a car gets too close to the curb, drives through a puddle, and drenches someone standing at the corner. Onlookers come to help that person and ask if they are alright, immediately followed by "Holy crap! Your camera!" "Huh?" "Didn't you JUST buy that?! It's DRENCHED!" "Oh....yea..." <dismissively, more concerned about the wet camera box in hand from just taking it out of the box> "Hey do you mind if I have the rest of your water bottle?" "Oh course! Here!" Mouths agape as he/she rinses the camera clean instead of drinking the water, continues shooting, and walks away as if nothing happened.

What's disappointing is that I've been in contact with multiple contacts from Ricoh's Marketing department over the past couple of years in Denver (since that video lol) and after pitching several marketing campaigns, none have gotten any traction.Not a single one My most recent one was to target high profile internet personalities in the outdoor scene (the idea for which came to me after realizing how devout a following a certain kayak fisherman in Florida had obtained, and he does excellent videos and gear reviews while spending MMUUCCCHHH of his time on the water) and send them K-30/50/S2 and 18-135 kits (which are NOT expensive for them to dedicate a few samples of out of their total discretionary funds) and let THOSE PEOPLE do the advertising for them. The premise would basically be "We came across you by ______ and realized you'd be a PERFECT fit for a Pentax Weather Sealed camera. If you're interested, it's yours, no questions asked with the only requirement that you tell people how you really feel about it. If it sucks, say how/why. We are so confident you won't feel that way though, which is why we would love your address " I offered to do the "personality hunting" for them too, to no avail

Oh well - I'll just continue enjoying the gear like the rest of us

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 04-26-2015 at 06:04 PM.
04-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Yea was NOT expecting anything to come of that video....I was expecting MAYBE a few hundred views topping at a few thousand TOPS among Pentaxians. It's closing in on 400,000 (more than many Digital Rev videos I might add ) and it got caught the attention of Ricoh for me rofl
Still a great video, and also historic in terms of your service in Afghanistan.....
04-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great ideas, Heie. Too bad you're not in control of Pentax's marketing program.
04-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

hahaha! that's awesome need me one of those umbrellas!
04-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only reason you have not heard from them is because of the "if they didn't think of it, it is no good" attitude. But I bet they have already mocked up some ads based on your themes and will be making them public if they new FF takes off.

Jack