Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
dewolf

to zoom or not to zoom

Hi again folks.
My retirement and SSI is coming up and I am trying to decide on upgrading my lens.
My present rig is a Pentax K5iis with a DA 55-300.
I have no complaints about the 55-300. It certainly has performed better than expected, but photographing wildlife I have found myself wanting a little more reach, and better image sharpness.
I have the knack for being able to get pretty close to the smaller birds, and the larger ones are easy.
The 2 lenses I am considering are the latest Sigma 50-500 and the Pentax DA star * 300mm coupled with the matching 1.4 Teleconverter.
Granted the latter won't give me the same reach as the 50-500 but I only need a little more than what I have. I am not sure of the actual numbers on a crop sensor.
I have also read that using the DA*300 will make for a brighter image in the viewfinder, something us older folks could appreciate, but i have a little concern about the Pentax SDM motor.
I have heard it's prone to failure, and there is no way to revert to using the cameras worm drive in such a case.

Improving image sharpness is an equal goal and I would think the 50-500 would also do that, but to what degree ?

I would like to hear from folks having used both lenses to guide me in the right direction

05-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #2

I've never used the 50-500, but I did use the FA* 300 for a bit. I never got to use it in the wild, but I found when at the zoo the inability to zoom out when animals got closer was a major hassle.
05-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
Hi again folks.
My retirement and SSI is coming up and I am trying to decide on upgrading my lens.
I have no complaints about the 55-300. It certainly has performed better than expected, but photographing wildlife I have found myself wanting a little more reach, and better image sharpness.
I have the knack for being able to get pretty close to the smaller birds, and the larger ones are easy.
The 2 lenses I am considering are the latest Sigma 50-500 and the Pentax DA star * 300mm coupled with the matching 1.4 Teleconverter.
Granted the latter won't give me the same reach as the 50-500 but I only need a little more than what I have. I am not sure of the actual numbers on a crop sensor.
I have also read that using the DA*300 will make for a brighter image in the viewfinder, something us older folks could appreciate, but i have a little concern about the Pentax SDM motor.
I have heard it's prone to failure, and there is no way to revert to using the cameras worm drive in such a case.

Improving image sharpness is an equal goal and I would think the 50-500 would also do that, but to what degree ?

I would like to hear from folks having used both lenses to guide me in the right direction
How about the new 150-450? Faster DC motor instead of SDM. Seems stellar by all accounts.
05-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

(snipped for brevity)...the latest Sigma 50-500 and the Pentax DA star * 300mm coupled with the matching 1.4 Teleconverter...I have also read that using the DA*300 will make for a brighter image in the viewfinder...i have a little concern about the Pentax SDM motor....Improving image sharpness is an equal goal and I would think the 50-500 would also do that, but to what degree ?
To summarize, the DA*300 + 1.4 TC will probably be your sharpest option at 420mm. The 50-500 is more versatile to zoom out for a portrait or landscape without changing lenses. The 50-500 optical stabilization is nice, too, because it stabilizes the viewfinder. You have a tough choice between 2 good lenses.

The DA* 300 is f/4 so you are correct that it normally gives a brighter image in the viewfinder. However, after you add the 1.4 TC that f/4 becomes f/5.6 and it's around the same brightness as the other lenses.

SDM only seems to be failure prone in some lens models. The 300 doesn't seem to be one of the chronic problems.

My 50-500 is a little sharper than my 55-300 at 300mm. The 50-500 becomes even sharper at longer lengths when compared to cropping the 55-300. The DA* 300 is the sharpest of the 3 lenses.

The 50-500 is a heavy lens. I can hold it all day long, but if you're about to start collecting social security you're 15+ years older than me. 50-500 is 4.33 lbs. DA* 300 plus 1.4 TC is 2.90 lbs. That weight difference may or may not be significant to you.

Finally, the 300 + TC is weather resistant. The Sigma is not.

05-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
To summarize, the DA*300 + 1.4 TC will probably be your sharpest option at 420mm. The 50-500 is more versatile to zoom out for a portrait or landscape without changing lenses. The 50-500 optical stabilization is nice, too, because it stabilizes the viewfinder. You have a tough choice between 2 good lenses.

The DA* 300 is f/4 so you are correct that it normally gives a brighter image in the viewfinder. However, after you add the 1.4 TC that f/4 becomes f/5.6 and it's around the same brightness as the other lenses.

SDM only seems to be failure prone in some lens models. The 300 doesn't seem to be one of the chronic problems.

My 50-500 is a little sharper than my 55-300 at 300mm. The 50-500 becomes even sharper at longer lengths when compared to cropping the 55-300. The DA* 300 is the sharpest of the 3 lenses.

The 50-500 is a heavy lens. I can hold it all day long, but if you're about to start collecting social security you're 15+ years older than me. 50-500 is 4.33 lbs. DA* 300 plus 1.4 TC is 2.90 lbs. That weight difference may or may not be significant to you.

Very good info, Thanks.
I dont plan to make the 1.4 tc a habit. I will use it for smaller birds only. So far the 55-300 has given me the reach in " most " cases. I didn't take into consideration the F5.6 with the tc, thanks for that. I try not to crop to deep by simply getting closer to the subject. I will have my 55-300, and 18-55 as backups as well. and also thanks for reminding me about the weather proofing. In Florida that's always a good thing lol. The weight of the 50-500 shouldn't be a problem for me, I have strong short arms. I would wonder what loss of sharpness I would suffer from the TC as compared to the 50-500. Do you think they'd be about the same ? comparing the 50-500 with the DA* 300 with the TC attached?
05-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi again folks.
Two years ago I rented the Sigma and last year I bought the DA*300. I rented the Sigma to take photos of Warblers for the most part. The Sigma was a very nice lens, easy enough to hand hold, decent results, the extra 200mm is very nice.
When I was later able to purchase a long lens, I chose the DA*300, here's my reasoning. By all accounts it has better image quality, it is sharper, which is always number one for me. When you are shooting wildlife, especially small birds, you will be cropping so you want the best quality possible to start with. Second reason weather resistance, you really need this for wildlife, I did carry a K-20D and the original non WR 55-300 with a rain sleeve before getting the DA*. That WR gives me peace of mind. Another reason is the build. When you have the Sigma extended it seems very long, more to catch walking through a woods, plus will a heavy extended barrel develop a wobble? The Pentax is a prime, with internal focus. When shooting in wooded areas light is essential. and the Pentax is faster, and has good IQ wide open. I'm happy with that choice. The focus could be faster, but it is quiet and you have quick shift. I hope to add the teleconverter. Adorama and B&H often run the DA* $300 off, that's when to buy.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
How about the new 150-450? Faster DC motor instead of SDM. Seems stellar by all accounts.
Definitely check this out.

All good advice, and yes that weight difference does add up.
05-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf;3266286...:
comparing the 50-500 with the DA* 300 with the TC attached?
Others here did a lot of testing with the 1.4 TC and DA* 300 combo. Images were very sharp, I think better than the 50-500. See Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews for a thorough review of the TC. If you search you can find related forum threads that might have direct comparisons against the 50-500.

There's no perfect lens. The DA*300 and 1.4 TC, or the 50-500, are both good choices. If you don't need the flexibility of zoom go with the DA*300.

05-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you considered splurging on a second camera body, so that you can put the 300 + teleconverter on one and the zoom lens on the other? That way you get the versatility of the zoom lens (and, as you mention, it works very well in many circumstances) but also have the extra reach and sharpness for certain situations.

I have a similar set-up (with a pair of K-3s and the 200mm + teleconverter). I will admit that I haven't used the pair of cameras as often as I'd like to - it's a bit cumbersome and heavy (and I'm kind of small and wimpy). But I expect it will come in handy in certain circumstances and if you're a little stronger than I am, I think it would work well.
05-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Have you considered splurging on a second camera body, so that you can put the 300 + teleconverter on one and the zoom lens on the other? That way you get the versatility of the zoom lens (and, as you mention, it works very well in many circumstances) but also have the extra reach and sharpness for certain situations.

I have a similar set-up (with a pair of K-3s and the 200mm + teleconverter). I will admit that I haven't used the pair of cameras as often as I'd like to - it's a bit cumbersome and heavy (and I'm kind of small and wimpy). But I expect it will come in handy in certain circumstances and if you're a little stronger than I am, I think it would work well.
buying one of these two lenses is going to be a splurge lol, but yes I have considered it, I just don't see me being in a situation requiring 2 camera bodies. Perhaps is i was to take a cross country trip to the national parks, yes, that would be a boon. But locally it just isnt going to be cost effective for me.

---------- Post added 05-27-15 at 05:01 PM ----------

My apologies DeadJohn for not actually seeing the first 10 words in your reply, where you actually answered the question at the end of my reply,,,, senior moment on my behalf..

---------- Post added 05-27-15 at 05:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
from the reviews it looks to be a great lens, however about $1000.oo over my budget.
05-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've owned the 50-500 but not the 300. (I now cover the focal lengths with a 60-250 and 500 prime) If you want sharp images go for the 300 and maybe the TC although I think i'm the only pentax TC owner who is disappointed. My opinion is the 300 is an upgrade from the 50-500. The 50-500 is very convenient and does an OK job. I got great results from my 50-500 by using it manually with a flash. Without the flash most of my tele photos would have looked like crap.
05-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #11
dewolf

Hi again folks.

Thanks to everyone and your input and suggestions. You have set my mind at ease. I will be going for the Pentax DA* 300. Its a challenge to be the only guy at the rookery and parks without a 4 ft long lens lol, some of the folks can be quite condescending. But I know the pics I will get will be better. BTW met my very first Pentaxian at the rookery last weekend. with a K3 was good to have company

Thanks again to all
05-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Enjoy! The DA 300 is a great lens and I have both the 55-300 and the 300. At 300 the prime is really much better and sharper and you can get quite far with cropping, so a TC is not critical. The final image quality will not be much different