Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Pentax K-3 Fan

I have had the Pentax K-3 since it first came out and have loved shooting with it. For some inexplicable reason, I have often dabbled in the thought of switching to Canikon for their FF offerings and was really tempted with the D750 for a moment. I knew that the Pentax FF would be coming out later in the year but I just could not imagine the autofocus and the high iso noise matching the Nikon offering. But that phase has passed(thankfully). I know that the auto focusing, flash system, and the lens selection will probably always trail the big boys but nothing beats my experience of shooting with my beloved Pentax - The ergonomics, the intuitive user interface, the dynamic range, the magnificent color rendering, the unparalleled build quality and weather resistance - It's just a photographer's camera - No bells and whistles just a camera that gets out of the way and lets you take great pictures. My lens collection is not elaborate but for my general enthusiast shooting style is certainly sufficient - Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Pentax 50-135 and the Pentax 100mm WR Macro. I'm almost certain that at some point I will get the Pentax FF but for right now I could not be happier with my K-3.

Just curious as to what my fellow Pentaxians love about their Pentax camera, whatever it is. Happy shooting....

06-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax and to the forum.

I moved on from a bridge camera to dSLR 7 years ago, and Pentax was my obvious choice. I needed WR and a solid body. Pentax offered by far the best value for money and it still does IMHO.

Since I 'learned' to love Pentax for its lens backward compatibility, and the superb prime lenses (below 100-120mm focal length): the FA Limited, the DA Limited, the DA* prime, even the older FA* primes.
06-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

I love my pentax camera because its the one I own! Besides all of the other cool stuff about it
06-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like my Pentax K-3 and the only thing that bothers me is hot shoe settings... This is something Pentax should address urgently as many photographers rely on good off camera flash performance. Canon is excellent there, even better than Nikon in my opinion and Pentax is trailing way behind, unfortunately.

06-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I like my Pentax K-3 and the only thing that bothers me is hot shoe settings... This is something Pentax should address urgently as many photographers rely on good off camera flash performance. Canon is excellent there, even better than Nikon in my opinion and Pentax is trailing way behind, unfortunately.
Hot shoe settings?
06-02-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm addicted to the handling of Pentax weather sealed camera bodies and straightforward user interface, some of the limited lenses, in body image stabilization. Other than that, the lens line-up and AFC tracking sucks, plus some useless gadgets such as diffraction correction, AA filter simulator, super-resolution etc. things that are just not plain photographic capability such as a FF cam. and high quality FF lens lineup would be.
06-02-2015, 10:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Hot shoe settings?
Yes, Pentax crippled the hot shoe or restricted the same, in example to 1/180s speed on K-3 or K-5II only, where other manufacturers goes higher and also the firing signal for the hot shoe central pin is disabled as long as you pass max speed of 1/180s. Even Olympus PL-1 allows you to goes higher than this, and with flash on the 1/1 power which extends the duration of the flash pulse, speak faster available time leads you to faster sync speeds.

06-02-2015, 11:56 PM   #8
Forum Member

I love my K3 for all that it has to offer. A fine camera. It does all that I expect of it and can do even more than I can handle, so there is still plenty for me to explore and to practice. And what I secretly enjoy is the puzzled looks on the faces of Canikon users when they see me, not knowing how to react. They know each others cameras well enough to point out the advantages of their model – but Pentax? No clue! And if they come to ask, they usually walk away being quite impressed!
06-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't worry about hi iso compared to Nikon. Nikon buy their sensors from Sony. For all intents and purposes high iso performance will be similar to Sony and Nikon for a sensor with the same number of megapixels.

Howie

---------- Post added 06-03-2015 at 06:10 AM ----------

I should add that Sony sensors have been better than Canon for the last five years so the Pentax Full frame will likely perform better than the Canon 5D mark I II.
06-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I had a nikon many years ago D200, and I just could not figure the thing out. I didn't know them enough to know where things where and the menus made no sense and I did not like the layout of the menus and it just felt weird in my hand, very uncomfortable. I like the Pentax because I can use my old K1000 lenses with it, it feels better when I hold it, WR, and the menu is so much easier to use. It seems a really good value for the money. And I feel like I actually researched and bought the best product and didn't buy it simply because that is what everyone else uses.
06-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
Yes, Pentax crippled the hot shoe or restricted the same, in example to 1/180s speed on K-3 or K-5II only, where other manufacturers goes higher and also the firing signal for the hot shoe central pin is disabled as long as you pass max speed of 1/180s. Even Olympus PL-1 allows you to goes higher than this, and with flash on the 1/1 power which extends the duration of the flash pulse, speak faster available time leads you to faster sync speeds.
Most people call that flash sync speed limits rather than "hot shoe settings". The 1/180s speed limit is due to the design of the mechanical shutter that Pentax uses. The only way to change the 1/180 sync speed is to use a different model of shutter in future cameras.