Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feedback on other forums

Along with Pentax forums, I subscribe to another photo sharing site, which I won't name. Like PF there is a section for photo critique. So far so good.

I saw an image of a lizard there from a self proclaimed new user that carried the request. Ma #First try in wildlife!!

Suggest your ideas about the pic!! And also even the mistakes!!

In my opinion the photo was of too shallow depth of field. The creature's eye and tip of the nose was just slightly blurry. Not bad but not brilliant but not the sharpest part of the image. Its front leg and the grains of sand underneath were absolutely pin sharp. I did not care too much that the tail was cut off and badly out of focus. The eyes are important. Anyway being my usual helpful self, I pointed this out the newbie, suggesting that at macro distances smaller apertures and greater Dof could be useful.

Several days later a response come back and I quote. "yeehh!! suree!! thnx fr yur suggession!! " Somehow I get the feeling that honest critique was not what was desired here.
Responses from two other critics included the phrases "Great DoF" and "Great blur". There seems to be an idea in here somewhere that shallow Dof is essential and that it matters not if the eyes of a lizard are oof as long as the grains of sand under its feet are sharp. It is almost as if the degree of blur is important and not the subject. I am slightly puzzled and slightly amused by all this. I won't be bothering to offer any further advice on this particular forum.

On Pentax Forums you get helpful and honest advice and that advice is always gratefully received and appreciated. Pentax Forums for ever.

06-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
On Pentax Forums you get helpful and honest advice and that advice is always gratefully received and appreciated. Pentax Forums for ever.
That is why when I want help with a problem this is where I come.
06-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't belong to any other forums but the person who asks for 'feedback' only expecting praise... that's just annoying.

For me I want people who are better than I am to to let loose. I think however there is a proper way to let loose. If you tell someone 'you suck just give it up' and sound like Simon Cowell in doing so... that's not good. But if you say 'your picture sucks and here is why' and you explain with the intent to help improve...that to me is pure gold.

I would love to have somebody like Steve McCurry just let it fly... I can guarantee you this much... if I were ever given that kind of opportunity I would come out the other side a much better photographer.
06-29-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Critiquing is hard, both from a technical standpoint and an emotional one. Like you said, sometimes the person requesting input doesn't want to hear it unless its praise. And, of course, on most photo-forums where phrases such as "Nice Shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" fly around like dandelion fluff in the spring, many people "believe their own press" and will give you the stink-eye if you dare to be helpful rather than sycophantic. Ah well.

FWIW, I appreciate criticism. Even if I don't agree with it, I am always deeply appreciative that someone is generous enough to take the time to offer it.

Oh yeah, and the whole DOF thing irks me, too. Most photos benefit from a little context.

06-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Several years ago on this forum someone asked for honest opinions on a photo, and then proceeded to blast everyone on even the slightest criticisms. Unfortunately those people are there and you can't help them.
06-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I feel when others offer criticism on my photos, it helps me see my work thru someone else's eyes; rather than the biased look thru mine.
06-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

When I ask for criticism I hope to hear techniques to correct obvious technical flaws as well as people's opinions of what could be improved. Any photo can be critiqued even photos that have no technical flaws; there are any ways to get a good photograph of the same scene. The crew here at PF does a good balance of complementing and criticizing.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Several years ago on this forum someone asked for honest opinions on a photo, and then proceeded to blast everyone on even the slightest criticisms. Unfortunately those people are there and you can't help them.
"Several years ago"? Something similar happened in the PF critique forum last week.

06-30-2015, 12:21 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I feel when others offer criticism on my photos, it helps me see my work thru someone else's eyes; rather than the biased look thru mine.
Exactly. I know I gravitate towards my tendencies and getting other perspectives has helped me be a better photographer.
06-30-2015, 03:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is tough when you are a new photographer. You think your photos are great. Maybe you've discovered the vibrance and clarity sliders in Lightroom or, HDR. The only way to learn and grow is to receive honest input on ways your photos could be better, both technically and with regard to their composition.
06-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The eyes are important.
exactly, if the eye are visible and not sharp, it's might be a problem. I'm so obssed about the sharp eyes that once I did have to switch eyes from a sharp image (bad composition) to a not sharp image (good composition) ^^
06-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It is almost as if the degree of blur is important and not the subject.
There is, in my opinion, a subset of photographers (I'm not pointing a finger at anyone on this forum) for whom "bokeh" has become such an obsession that it crowds out all other considerations. Philosophically speaking, they remind me of professional wine tasters who describe fine wines as having overtones of really weird things that nobody in their right mind would put in their mouths. Excuse me, but the way to get me to shell out $20 or more for a bottle of white wine is NOT to tell me that it reminds them of pencil shavings and cat p*ss.

I have very quickly come to despise the word. Take a photo for the d*mn subject, you idiots! Crank the aperture open as wide as you dare, and let the background blur take care of itself!
07-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I had joined and subsequently quit several photography forums before I wandered into this forum..... it is dramatically different here...
07-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I occasionally go to Fred Miranda (mostly looking at used gear, or even new gear comments), because that's where sheep hang out.

However, it is user-unfriendly for at least 2 reasons - there are no thumbnails in the post your photos sections so it is time-consuming to hunt and peck, and if you hover over a forum post you still only see a few words ("just a quick question") instead of a complete sentence or two - so who wants to hunt and peck those as well?

And with a higher volume of members/guests, you sort of get lost in the flock.

Baa...
07-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I should take some pictures of animals that are completely out of focus except their noses and post it there.
07-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I am slightly puzzled and slightly amused by all this. I won't be bothering to offer any further advice on this particular forum.
Only on that particular forum, right?
Because of those guys people think carefully to give constructive critique when it's really needed.
Why not to post on facebook instead to get plenty of likes and be happy with wonderful DOF...?